none
Cannot access my computers via Remote Web Access - Windows Server 2012 Essentials

General discussion

• Hi, i have just transitioned from Windows Home Server 2011 to Windows Server Essentials 2012.  I can get to (and log on) remote web access with no issues both internally within my network at home and externally.  I can also access folders / view files etc both internally and externally.

My issue is i cannot connect to my computers when im connected to remote web access externally but can when i am in my own domain. 

I have configured port forwarding (including port 3389, 443 for https and 80 for http), checked the firewall to the best of my knowledge. 

I have installed the operating system twice in case something went wrong the first time but still have the same issue.  The error I get when trying to connect via remote web access externally from network is simply as follows

"This computer cannot connect to the remote computer, The two computers coudlnt connect in the amount of time allocated.  Try connectecing again....."

and

"

prob not much more to add but i usualy get a slight different error than the one above, same result tho.. "your computer cannot connect to the remote computer because an error occured on the remote computer you want to connect to. contact your network admin for assistance""

I have tried connecting from servaral computers on different days.. please help as this is getting quite frustrating and one of the main features i was used to in windows home server which btw workded flawlessly from day 1...

Settings on Server Network adapter  tcpipv4

IP = server IP

gateway = router IP

Preferred dns server = server IP

Secondary DNS server = 127.0.0.1

added forwarders in DNS of my ISP primary and secondary DNS servers

Client adapter settings on wired and wireless clients TCPIPv4

IP = obtain automatically

Primary DNS = Server IP

The other issue is that i have created a user account given them standard access.. logged into remote web access and couldnt see any computers to connect to but i did have the option "remote web access and web services applications" allowed, i changed the level of access to administrator but still couldnt see the computers to connect to.  I then added the user to the domain admins security group via AD and could see all computers but the server.  Still coudlnt access any computers as per the error above.

Also i have connected to RWA with the actual admin account created during install setup and can see the server but cannot connect to any client or server same error..

Please help as i use this feature quite a lot

cheers

• Edited by Kostak Monday, April 29, 2013 11:56 PM
    Monday, April 29, 2013 11:52 PM

All replies

• I had a thread on this as well...  Been many months and no help!  Seems like quite a few have the issue.  This is the other thread, some folks had ideas, none helped me, maybe you'll be more lucky.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserveressentials/thread/66b302c5-27c9-44a9-ad83-b61b2dfe1f46

Thursday, May 02, 2013 1:28 PM
  • Is there anything common between you two guys?

What hardware are you running, network cards, anti virus, firewalls?

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Thursday, May 02, 2013 5:19 PM
  • My server is a HP Proliant Micro Server N40L.  No antivirus software and the standard windows Software firewall.  My router is a FIOS Actiontec router which may have a firewall.  BUt, I have tried this on the local LAN and that doesn't work either.  Regular RDP works fine on the LAN just not from the Windows Server Essentials Dashboard.
    Thursday, May 02, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Maybe try uninstalling security update KB2592687 from the Win7 SP1 computer in the office.

Fixing 'An error occurred on the remote computer' with Remote Desktop Connection
    http://www.examiner.com/article/fixing-an-error-occurred-on-the-remote-computer-with-remote-desktop-connection

--
    Merv  Porter
    ============================
    Thursday, May 02, 2013 10:43 PM
  • What you need to do, is take the router out of the equation.

Can you add an entry in a hosts file on a PC for the public FQDN of the RWA Site (remote.domain.com) but pointing to the internal IP of the server.

So rather than remote.domain.com resolving to your public IP it would resolve internally, and this will prevent any SSL errors when you browse the website.

(you can even take your router offline for this)

Then see if it works / doesnt work.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Friday, May 03, 2013 10:05 AM
  • Hi Robert, I have a HP Proliant Micro Server N40L.

No antivirus software and the standard windows Software firewall. My router is a Billion 7404 VNPX. I

have taken the router out of the equation as you suggested by putting the following url in the hosts file on one of my clients

*****.remotewebaccess.com 192.168.1.1 but still cannot connect to that client.

I can however, connect via the launch pad, remote web access to any client and server from within the lan, my issue is only when trying to connect from outside. 

I would love to find a resolution to this, as RWA is a feature that i loved in WHS2011 and so frustrating that i cant get it working in essentials 2012.

• Edited by Kostak Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:02 AM
    Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:01 AM
  • Hi again.. bit more info on some more testing that may be of help....

The error message changed on the client that i changed the hosts file for.  Instead of getting error 1 (Your computer cant connect to the remote computer because an error occurred on the remote computer that you want to connect to) i now got error 2 (This computer cant connect to the remote computer, The two computers couldnt connect in the time allocated.)

I then proceeded to connect to another client (which didnt have the change mentioned above in their hosts file) and when trying to connect to this i get the error 1 as expected.  Once i modified the host file to eliminate the router as above, i started getting error 2.

Also Merv i cannot find that update in either my W7 or W8 clients..

KMACK thanks for the suggestions via the link you provided but i have already checked all suggested resolutions but none have helped
    • Edited by Kostak Tuesday, May 07, 2013 1:38 AM
    Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:57 AM
  • Hi All,

no further suggestions to this issue?

Monday, May 13, 2013 3:24 AM
  • Hi

According to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee922633%28v=ws.10%29.aspx >>RRAS routing requires a minimum of two reachable network interfaces. Remote access requires one reachable interface; two, if remote access clients must access resources on a private network.

I havent got far myself (I can only SSTP connect my server, but not ping it, nor https:// the server or any other computer after connection) im about to try adding another interface.

You might test that too, and if this is needed/ a solution, why isnt there a big sign about it, in the direct access gui? (Frustrated)

Brgs Göran

Monday, May 13, 2013 9:29 PM
  • hi guys

bumping this up in the hope that someone out there may have any suggestions to this issue

Monday, June 03, 2013 5:39 AM
  • I'll throw this out there, but it may be off target...

Windows 8 is unable to connect to a Remote Desktop Server via Remote Desktop Gateway
    http://blog.legitit.com.au/wp/windows-8-is-unable-to-connect-to-a-remote-desktop-server-via-remote-desktop-gateway/

--
    Merv Porter
    =========================
    Monday, June 03, 2013 11:29 AM
  • thanks for the suggestion Merv but unfortunately it didnt work..

this is driving me nuts.. i can use all other functionality within RWA but cannot connect to computers.. i can however connect to computers using RWA from within my LAN

Friday, June 07, 2013 5:39 AM
  • When you start the "Remote desktop connection" the most important value is the gateway server, it should point to your server. could you give a screen shot ? like the one below

Saturday, June 08, 2013 3:01 AM
  • The two computers coudlnt connect in the amount of time allocated

What's the exact, word for word error message you get as that's not one I recognize.

Monday, June 10, 2013 6:52 AM
  • http://www.networksteve.com/windows/topic.php?TopicId=7061

did either of you do anything to "harden" your Servers?

Monday, June 10, 2013 6:54 AM
  • I didnt do a thing to my computer to 'harden it'  and its not just a remote computer i cannot connect to I cant connect to my server either.

I have tried as both my network account and the built in admin network account. Have also tried disabling the Anti-virus.  checked and ensured all network services are running.

any more ideas / suggestions?

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 4:41 AM
  • The two computers coudlnt connect in the amount of time allocated

What's the exact, word for word error message you get as that's not one I recognize.

Hi Susan i get two error messages.. I tried uploading the images of the error but get the message "body text cannot contain images or links untill we are able to verify your account".. how do i go about verifying my account?

when connecting to my laptop i get the error "Your remote computer cant connect to the remote computer because an error occurred on the remote computer that you want to connect to.  Contact your network administrator for assistance"

When connecting to my server i get the error "This computer cant connect to the remote computer.  The two computers couldnt connect in the time allocated.  Try connecting again.  If the problem continues, contact your network admininstrator or techinical support"

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 4:48 AM
  • Hi QingFUW.. for reasons i posted above i cannot yet post screenshots but yes the correct gateway server is listed

publisher and Gateway server are both ******.remotewebaccess.com

Type : RemoteApp program

Path: RemoteDashboard

Name: Dashboard

Remote computer: points to my internal server name

is this correct?

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 4:51 AM
  • Hi All,

Im terribly sorry for bumping this up again but have that slim hope one of you bright peope may have an answer for me.   i am terribly frustruted that for i cannot use a feature of WHS2011 that i got quite used to and found handy..

Please is there anyone out there with an answer...

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:23 AM
  • I am having the exact issue... I have just rolled out 2 2012 essential servers for small businesses, and have a handfull more in the works.... I really need to figure this out.  Nothing in the logs either.

Monday, July 15, 2013 1:02 AM
  • I am having the exact issue... I have just rolled out 2 2012 essential servers for small businesses, and have a handfull more in the works.... I really need to figure this out.  Nothing in the logs either.

I guess my temporary work around is to do a port translation for all the remote users at each site... cause RDP works fine.. so give them a saved RDP connection say remote.company.com:3395 

and do a port trans from public 3395 to their particular computer on port 3389

Anyone out there actually has 2012 essentials "remote web access" working .. that they can actually connect to the computers?  You should only have to port forward 443 and 80... but then once the remote desktop sesssion is started.... .doesnt it use a port?

Monday, July 15, 2013 1:07 AM
  • Hang on let's not adjust anything.  yes this does really and truly work and all you have to do is forward 443 and 80.

Once you log into the server then the server forwards on to each workstation.

So 

1. you ran the remote access wizard?

2.  you forwarded port 443 to the server

3.  you have a domain or are using domain.remotewebaccess.com

Don't adjust anything as this really does work as advertised.

Monday, July 15, 2013 1:30 AM
  • And what router are you using?
    Monday, July 15, 2013 1:31 AM
  • The solution in this thread worked for me on this...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/66b302c5-27c9-44a9-ad83-b61b2dfe1f46/issue-setting-remoteweb-access-to-computers-on-windows-server-essentials-2012

Friday, July 19, 2013 1:30 PM