Hyper-V & Aero (Desktop Enhancments In General)

Question

• I am not positive at this point but something I read the other day sparked a thought. For a while now I have been having some performance issues in my Win 2008 machine. It's on a quad 8gb ram with a GeForce 8800 GTS. Anyway, I remember when I had first installed everything. Performance was great, actually performance still is great it's really the system response. Now when I maybe move a browser window, rdp window or something around the monitor(s) the system really hangs. I didn't think that it was like that when I first setup the server. I know that I downgraded my graphic drivers to the default Microsoft ones (oh yeah I'm on x64) and the system started responding more but still sluggist in those situations. I have the Hyper-V role installed and I read the other day that once you turn this role on and restart, your host system is running under some type of virtual layer. This makes a lot of sense but I started thinking and was wondering if there was a connection between the Hyper-V role and my response issues. This is with Aero and Aero Basic.
    You know that weird gut feeling you sometimes get when the pc isn't working to your liking? For me I feel like I need to installed a display driver or that hardware acceleration is turned down or off. Obviously neither are the case. I should also mention that I have tried a few new games which work excellent. This problem is only noticible in those first few loading seconds as if I'm catching the system off gaurd.

Thanks,
    Zac
    Monday, June 09, 2008 4:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• There shouldn't be any correlation between Hyper-V and general system performance. What type of system (motherboard, processor, etc) are you using? Also - I'm assuming you've enabled the Desktop Experience feature?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:38 AM
  • It's a Intel q6600 msi 680i nForce mb, 4x 2gb corsair xms2 ddr2, msi Geforce 8800 GTS 756mb. I'm running .NET 3.0, Desktop Experience, Group Policy Mgnt, Remote Server Admin Tools, Windows Process Activation Svc, Backup Features, Wireless LAN Service features. Roles are File Server, Windows Search, IIS. Main services; SQL 2k5, MOSS 2k7, Madden 2k9 (jk).

Once the Hyper-V role is installed, doesn't it take over reporting what cpu you have and if your processor supports virtualization, or that it doesn't I should say?
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:30 AM
  • No, Hyper-V still allows the processor to report the features that are present.

My first guess is the video drivers. I'm not sure how much optimization nVidia has done on the drivers when running under 2K8.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 10:36 PM
  • Zac B said:

Main services; SQL 2k5, MOSS 2k7, Madden 2k9 (jk).

Aero does put some load on your system, but not enough to explain your problem. I have the same things you have enabled including Aero. But you have other programs such as SQL Server 2005 installed. My Hyper-V machines are just Hyper-V machines. I have nVidia's driver installed. I think something else is going on here. Have many hard drives do you have?

Sunday, June 15, 2008 3:14 AM
  • On Friday I happened to go and disable all SQL services as well as the WWWPS even though under full load of developing/deploying/configuring/retracting solutions with VS 2005 & 2008 used a total of <= 2gb of ram. And if I even had a HVPC turned on it was assigned 2 cores and 1200mb ram. If this isn't a problem others are experiencing it makes me worried my video card is about to die. The other problem I have started noticing this weekend is that... wait, so I am using 2 22" widescreens, okay so... on my left primary (although I use my right as "main monitor" for now) it is having flicker madness when I maximize an IE 7 window, WMP and Zune Marketplace. I just tried it with Word and Outlook 2007 without the problem. Also I'm noticing some fuzziness once in a while if any of those programs are present in the window. By fuzziness I mean distinctivly distorted 6px high lines running accross the screen. It is similar to a loose cable although I have replaced the DVI cables AND I have one of my 360's hooked up to the same monitor (thru VGA though) and it works smooth. I suppose it could be video card hardware, the dvi monitor plug or some hidden driver/software/x64 situation.

If anyone has any thoughts please pass them my way. Also, this occurs under both Aero and Aero Basic. The original performance issue I noticed happend under all themes.

Thanks,
    Zac

Monday, June 16, 2008 12:41 AM
  • I have 2008 as my "workstation" OS and it was performing great.  However, when my Hyper-V was updated to RC1 I noticed that my machine began having issues with responsiveness especially with graphic intensive items.  Opening a jpg takes 20 seconds or so and uses 100% of CPU, starting an AVI does the same and the AVI is very jittery for several seconds.  After the initial period of jitter it plays just fine.  I remove Hyper-V and the machine goes back to normal, put it back on and things slow down again.  To me this appears to be related to the Hyper-V role.  I was hoping that the RTM version would resolve the issue, but no luck.  Pre RC-1 versions did not affect my performance, so something changed with RC1.
    • Proposed as answer by Zac T B Sunday, June 29, 2008 1:12 AM
    Saturday, June 28, 2008 11:33 PM
  • Yes!!!
    George, you feel my pain. I had this weird feeling it was when I installed Hyper-V but was left unsure because I could have sworn that there was a good period of time in which everything ran flawlessly. As that one of the main things I was excited to take advantage of was Hyper-V, I knew that I had installed it right away. This would mean that it had to be installed at some point when the pc was perfect. So, you meantioning the RC1 update would make perfect sense to me.
    Thank you! Now I (we, whatever) have some place to start.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Zac
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 1:02 AM
  • One more thing George. What are your system specs? I'm wondering if it is a conflict with the graphics card. As I posted before here is my system:

Intel Q6600
    MSI nForce 680i MB
    4x 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR 2
    MSI GeForce 8800
    2x WD Raptor 10k rpm
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 1:09 AM
  • I have a Dell Latitude D830 with the T9300 Core2 Duo 2.5ghz proc, 4gig of ram, 120gb 7200rpm drive, with an NVidia Quadra 140.  Like I said, before RC1 of Hyper-V everything ran wonderful, WAY better then Vista as a matter of fact.  I even had all the Aero stuff turned on.  At first I thought it was the compatability update that came out at the same time as the RC-1 update.  I uninstalled that patch and it didnt resolve the issue so I rebuilt the machine with Hyper-V enabled and that patch not installed with the same poor performance.  I rebuilt again and didnt install the Hyper-V role and did intstall the compatability patch and everything ran great.

I did see something that makes me also think it may be the video card.  During my first update to RC-1 I got a pop-up saying something like the video driver was no longer supported and just gave me an OK button.  I have tried several different drivers including the default driver from MS, two drivers from Dell, the Omega driver, and one from another site I cannot recall at this momment.
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 1:21 AM
  • George,
    I moved the post to a more detailed thread here.
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 2:29 AM