none
Terminal Services Windows 2008 R2

Question

• Hi,

We have the following scenario and we would like to get some advise.

We are migrating to Win7, we have 2 applications that will work under WIN7 at all.

We were looking at a cost effective way to publish them both.

By looking at cost the only affordable option for us is via Terminal Services since we will only buying the TS CALs. Everything else out there requires the TS CALS + the 3rd party CALS (citrix, 2X, etc.)

The challange is that as I said before that the apps just work on XP/Windows 2003 familiy.

If we decide to go with TS we would like to get the latest technoligy available which will be TS 2008 R2, however the 2 apps will not install on WIN7 / Windows 2008 R2 family.

Is there any way to overcome this limitation? In other words is there anything out there that will allow me to get the 2 apps working on Windows 2008 R2 server and publish them with TS 2008R2?

Any other ideas, suggestions on how to acomplish this?

Thank you
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 5:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Did you have a look at application virtualization. With App-V it would even allow you to run the applications on the Windows 7 clients.

Whenever virtualization is not an option the best thing is to contact the vendor for a newer version. Every option to get the application running on W2K8 R2 would imply that support is no longer available for the application.

kind regards, Robert Maijen
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 7:03 PM
  • I have tried VMWare ThinApp 4.6.2 and work with VMware on getting both apps to run first on XP and then test them on a WIN7.

With VMWare ThinApp I haven't been able to make any of these applications to run not even on WXP.

I don't think that App-V is going to make much difference, also it is my understading the neither App-V or ThinApp are in the business of solving compability issues between XP and W7.

Do you think that App-V is going to make any difference?

We want to migrate to WIN7 VD with Vmware view 5 to a non persistent pool model. 

The other approach that I am currently testing is going to be running WIN7 VD (view non persisten pool) with XP MODE enabled and configured within the VD, in other words a VM within a VM...

Saturday, October 08, 2011 7:38 PM
  • As you have tried virtualizing this application, and there are compatibility issues, you could try and use the application compatibilty toolkit of Microsoft to see where the issue is coming from.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=7352

Trying it with the XP mode on Windows might work. Another option is to run a virtual XP machine allowing you to fully machine this legacy device.

kind regards, Robert Maijen
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 8:11 AM