none
VSS SqlServerWriter failing

General discussion

• We have a 3rd party tool Idera Backup, that is supposed to do full farm backups that is choking on backing up the database server.  It uses VSS and after looking at the log files they are stating it is a MS problem with vss and not their tool.  Hoping I can throw this out there and someone has seen this.   I have searched through many bing/google searches for similar issues.  and I have verified the NT Authority\SYSTEM has the correct permissions on the SQL instance. This is what pops in the event viewer, I am hoping someone has an idea of what I can try to do. Thanks in advance for any assistance!. 

Status of writer SqlServerWriter: FailedAtPrepareSnapshotException type: Idera.Pointbackup.Shared.PBException

Message: Status of writer SqlServerWriter: FailedAtPrepareSnapshot

Source: PBVSSBackup

StackTrace:

at Idera.Pointbackup.Service.Backup.VSS.VssUtility.GatherWriterStatus(IVssBackupComponents vssBackup)

at Idera.Pointbackup.Service.Backup.VSS.Backup.VssBackupEngine.Backup()

at Idera.Pointbackup.Service.Backup.VSS.Backup.VssBackupOperation.Execute()

vssadmin list writers

all come back no error except

Writer name: 'SqlServerWriter'
       Writer Id: {a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}
       Writer Instance Id: {dfec4e80-df00-4c18-a1b1-7d07e1d49cf5}
       State: [8] Failed
       Last error: Inconsistent shadow copy

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Jason, 

I suggest you to restart below services and check the status of writer.

Cryptographic Service 
    Volume Shadow Copy Service 

still writer is in failed state, try to restart SQL server service and check for the status.

If problem persist do a final option re registering of VSS writers can fix the issue. 

Regards, Ravikumar P

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:34 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Is this the first time the writer has failed, or is this an ongoing issue?  A simple reboot should clear the failed state of the SqlServerWriter. I have seen this happen occasionally with other applications as well like Exchange and Symantec BE.  A reboot is obviously not a permanent fix, however usually will clear it. 

N

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:37 PM
  • restarted Cryptographic Service and started (it was set to manual and not started) Volume Shadow Copy service.  Restarted the sql server vss writer and the backup service that is running.  It clears out the message .. but upon trying to submit a backup job it comes out with the same error.  I have to schedule a failover and I will try failing over to the other node and see if I experience similar issues.  If I go to the point of re registering vss writers is this the process you would recommend?

http://careexchange.in/how-to-re-register-vss-volume-shadow-copy-service-in-windows-server-2008-r2/

Thank you for your response and yours as well Nick!

Status of writer SqlServerWriter: FailedAtPrepareSnapshotException type: Idera.Pointbackup.Shared.PBException

Message: Status of writer SqlServerWriter: FailedAtPrepareSnapshot

Source: PBVSSBackup

StackTrace:

at Idera.Pointbackup.Service.Backup.VSS.VssUtility.GatherWriterStatus(IVssBackupComponents vssBackup)

at Idera.Pointbackup.Service.Backup.VSS.Backup.VssBackupEngine.Backup()

at Idera.Pointbackup.Service.Backup.VSS.Backup.VssBackupOperation.Execute()

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:58 PM
  • Better seek help from SQL forums before re-registering VSS writers.Yes above link is recommended one.

We can see similar discussion in MSDN forums and the link is.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldisasterrecovery/thread/9110cc2b-7ac3-41e4-83ec-541ea03a8552/

Regards, Ravikumar P

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:29 PM
  • Hello Jason,
    I suggest to read this SQL Server Forums thread VSS Writer SqlServerWriter fails with 3rd party backup solution. I found this article too: Windows Agent — SqlServerWriter In Failed State, I don't if you have the same version as the provided link.

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:55 PM
  • Please see if following wiki helps

Backup Fails with Error Message "Writer Missing" or "Failed" or "Timed Out" or "Waiting for Completion" in VSSADMIN (en-US)

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:40 AM
  • Thanks guys for all the pointers.. I have checked out most of the articles and tried most of the suggestions still not having much luck .. the third party vendor has acknowledged it might be with their software so they are taking another look.

Friday, April 19, 2013 12:50 PM
  • Once you get the solution from them share it in this post cause it will be helpful to the people who view this post.

Regards, Ravikumar P

Friday, April 19, 2013 1:42 PM
  • Hi Jason,

We are experinecing the same issue with Idera. Were you able to resolve the issue. What was the resolution. Could you please post it here or email me at jaisejames@hotmail.com.

Appreciate your help

Thanks

Jaise

Friday, July 26, 2013 8:18 PM
  • I'm glad you posted! I would have forgot to update this thread.   It turns out the application is indeed buggy at its current release, after working with Microsoft tech and one of the idera developers.  Their application apparently didn't like having a mount point on top of another mount point as it was only taking the snap of the root or something.  They admitted it would have to be a fix in their application and as of yet have not released a new version to resolve this issue.

Friday, July 26, 2013 8:23 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks for replying it so quickly. Are you not taking the Ideara backup currently. Did they gave you a tracking number for this bug. We will  open a case with them to see if they can provide us the fix as well.

Thanks

Jaise

Friday, July 26, 2013 9:18 PM
  • The case I had open with them was point number 00163644 .. I don't know if they did anything additional to that but they told me there was no expected release date ix .. so it could be helpful if another site reported the same issue.  We currently use the idera tool to do farm backups of the front end/application servers, and rely on sql backups for all the databases.  We also use there "granular" backup for sort of quick item level restores..

Saturday, July 27, 2013 3:29 AM
  • Hi Thanks for the case number. Hopefully , this will help in jogging their memory Appreciate your help on this Thanks Jaise
    Saturday, July 27, 2013 11:15 AM
  • We also had this issue with a 3rd party backup software, when the 3rd part client tried to use the SQL VSS writer it would enter a timed out status.

The SQL VSS writer service was set to use the domain admin account. We changed it to the local server admin account and it fired up great and backups where successful. I presume the domain account did not have permissions to the SQL instance and the local account did.

Ref

http://www.techieshelp.com/veeam-sql-backup-unable-release-guest-error-vsscontrol-failed-freeze-guest-wait-timeout/

Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:36 AM
  • I tried this

The SQL VSS writer service was set to use the domain admin account. We changed it to the local server admin account and it fired up great and backups where successful

It still did not work

Friday, December 06, 2013 2:55 PM