none
Windows 2008 Server related queries

Question

• Backdrop:

Server has a Windows 2008 Server Standard  (trail version) currently installed.

Am not sure, but it might be 32 bit.

Now we  brought a new license for Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and Enterprise.

However it says invalid key inspite  of entering the key correctly.

Doubts:

1> Am i doing some thing wrong here?

2> If i need to use this key  do i need to format or is there downgrade/ upgrade option?

3> Can a 64 bit OS be installed on 32 bit machine?

The more informed and learned, please help me on these questions.

Am a novice to this field.

Thanking you.

Ravi Bugadikatti

Ravi Bugadikatti

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you are not sure your current version of Windows Server 2008 Standard, you could type the following command in the run:

msinfo32

Then you will get the detailed information about your OS. Since you brought a new license for Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and Enterprise, the license is only applied to Windows Server 2008 R2 NOT Windows Server 2008.

Q1: Am I doing something wrong here?
    A1: I have to say yes. You should make sure the version of your server before buying the license you need.

Q2: If I need to use this key do I need to format or is there downgrade/upgrade option?
    A2: I think the upgrade option is supported, for the detailed information, you could refer to the article below:

Title: Windows Server 2008 R2 Upgrade Paths
    URL: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=19649

Q3: Can a 64-bit OS be installed on 32-bit machine?
    A3: Nope, it depends on your CPU. If your CPU is not supported 64-bit processor, it can’t be done. However, 64-bit machine could install 32-bit/64-bit OS.

At the same time, for more information about the licensing, you could contact the Microsoft Licensing Center to get further help.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:59 AM

All replies

• how are you attempting this upgrade? If the server is indeed 32bit and you are attempting to install R2, you will need to do a bare metal install.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:14 PM
  • Hello Peter,

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Am currently not doing any thing. I actually wanted to verify if at all it can be done.

Looking at your answer, it can be done.

Can you also throw some light on my 3rd question?

Can a 64 bit Windows Server 2008 be installed on 32 bit machine?

Ravi Bugadikatti

Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:53 AM
  • Hi,

If you are not sure your current version of Windows Server 2008 Standard, you could type the following command in the run:

msinfo32

Then you will get the detailed information about your OS. Since you brought a new license for Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and Enterprise, the license is only applied to Windows Server 2008 R2 NOT Windows Server 2008.

Q1: Am I doing something wrong here?
    A1: I have to say yes. You should make sure the version of your server before buying the license you need.

Q2: If I need to use this key do I need to format or is there downgrade/upgrade option?
    A2: I think the upgrade option is supported, for the detailed information, you could refer to the article below:

Title: Windows Server 2008 R2 Upgrade Paths
    URL: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=19649

Q3: Can a 64-bit OS be installed on 32-bit machine?
    A3: Nope, it depends on your CPU. If your CPU is not supported 64-bit processor, it can’t be done. However, 64-bit machine could install 32-bit/64-bit OS.

At the same time, for more information about the licensing, you could contact the Microsoft Licensing Center to get further help.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:59 AM
  • Hello James,

Thank you so much for answering so explicitly and patiently.

Will look up for the information in the link you mentioned.

Thanks again.

Ravi Bugadikatti

Ravi Bugadikatti

Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:09 PM