none
Remote Desktop to Windows XP SP3 Fails Without Error Message

Question

•  I am trying to set up remote desktop to my old XP Professional SP3 computer from my new Vista 64 bit Home Permium computer. When I click the "connect" button, it greys out and then, without an error message, hilights again. I can get the warning message about connecting to an untrusted computer if I change settings, but never successfully connecting. I can ping each computer from the other, by name and IP address. I checked firewall settings on both computers and found them correct. I then turned off both firewalls but still could not connect.

I also tried to connect from my work XP Professional SP2 computer. Same symptoms.
    In my spare time, I support a small business running Windows Small Business Server. At least one client is unable to connect to his work computer remotely with no error presented. They are running XP Professional SP3.

I have seen several messages in several forums detailing this problem, but no solution save one -- roll back or roll forward a video driver. This doesn't seem reasonable.

Any suggestions?
    • Edited by Scott- Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:19 AM Added additional info
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:09 AM

Answers

• I was struggling with the same issue for 2 weeks now.  Can't RDP into a Win XP SP3 machine but I could RDP out from this machine.  After going through the notes here I have tried the PortQry and and made sure that the machine was listening on 3389.  And I also tried increasing the SessionImageSize to 32MB in the registry suggested some where here and this didn't help. 

But what worked for me is to upgrade the nVidia drivers (9500 GT) to the latest.  It is bizarre as I couldn't find any errors in the Event Viewer for RDPDD.dll.  Thank you.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 8:35 PM

All replies

• Yes, check your log files.  And why would a video driver update be unreasonable? 
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:49 AM
  •  Nothing logged in events. Video driver on my XP machine is most current. I recently upgraded it to support a game. I would have to downgrade. I don't recall if there were older versions available, but I don't think so. There are twenty client machines at the small business. Each one is a different manufacturer and/or model.
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:22 AM
  • I'm not sure what is happening but here are some diagnostic steps that may help you.  From your Vista machine:

1. Can you successfully TS into machines other than your XP SP3 machine?

2. What does "telnet <name or IP of your XP SP3 machine> 3389" do?  You may need to install the "telnet" client in the Control Panel.
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:16 AM
  • Answers

(1) Yes. Vista computers and a Windows Small Business Server.

(2) There was an error logged when I telneted to port 3389 -- 50 -- STATUS_RDP_PROTOCOL_ERROR. It cites KB articles 323497, 307454, and 811770. None of these appear relevant.

The XP SP3 computer is listening on TCP 3389.

Note that someone else has started a more recent thread with a similar issue.
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:33 PM
  • I didn't answer the second question well. The console screen on the client machine goes blank and eventually I get a disconnected message.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:44 AM
  • 2. The blank screen and subsequent RDP message, rather than an error message from telnet, proves there is no firewalling problem between the 2 computers.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 5:50 AM
  • Most likely, it was broken due to nVidia/ATI video drivers update.

Try to set "Hardware Acceleration" in the Display Properties applet to "None".
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 5:52 PM
  • I turned off hardware acceleration. It did not fix the problem.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 11:55 PM
  • A thought came up: Do you have .NET 3.0 installed on XP SP3?
    Tuesday, November 04, 2008 7:41 AM
  • I was struggling with the same issue for 2 weeks now.  Can't RDP into a Win XP SP3 machine but I could RDP out from this machine.  After going through the notes here I have tried the PortQry and and made sure that the machine was listening on 3389.  And I also tried increasing the SessionImageSize to 32MB in the registry suggested some where here and this didn't help. 

But what worked for me is to upgrade the nVidia drivers (9500 GT) to the latest.  It is bizarre as I couldn't find any errors in the Event Viewer for RDPDD.dll.  Thank you.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 8:35 PM
  • I had the same problem (XP w/ ATI Radeon 2400), and simply updating the drivers to the latest fixed the problem.  Also, setting hardware acceleration to "none" did not help.  This isn't an obvious solution because remote desktop had worked just fine in the past, and I hadn't made any system changes to cause the problem.

If I could briefly get on a soapbox, MS should update the remote desktop client to never simply terminate the connection attemp w/o a message.  Terrible user experience.
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 4:06 PM