none
Managing non-Windows Server network shares from Powershell

Question

• Hello I would like to know if there is some way to get and set permissions of a network share which is hosted on EMC storage.

I tried using Win32_Share class but I got an RPC error when trying to connect to share (Get-WmiObject : The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)).

Since I do can manage shares and permissions from mmc --> computer manager --> selecting EMC --> shared folders, I am sure I am doing something wrong.

I have been googling but everything is WMI related which seems not to work at my scenario.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Pedro Gonzalez

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:10 PM

All replies

• For ACL changes, the standard cmdlets like get-acl and set-acl will work. Many articles written on how to do this. Heres one.

Non windows devices that serve CIFS shares are not going to respond to WMI calls like Win32_Share. We're not an EMC shop, but sounds like you could use EMC's powershell toolkit that leverages SMI.

Or, you could leverage the old NT4 Resource Kit utility named RMTSHARE. It uses RPC, not WMI, so it should work against EMC. It can enumerate or create new shares.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:52 PM
  • Thank you very much Craig I will take a look at EMC0s powershell toolkit. I discarded it since it is discontinuated but it might be worthful to give it a try.

Just a question, does computer management snap-in use RPC only? It is kinda strange for me that I can use it to connect to EMC shares but not from powershell.

Is powershell able to interact with computer management snap-in someway?

Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:07 AM