none
Activate windows server 2012 evaluation standard version with a product key OEM

Question

• Very good morning.
    Microsoft technical manual is not very clear.

You know if you can activate windows server 2012 evaluation standard version with OEM key registry?

Greetings.
    JuanMa

Monday, November 25, 2013 8:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In respect for you, here providing some basic information.

For Windows Server 2012 Essentials: You can convert to the full retail version by entering a retail, volume license, or OEM key in the command slmgr.vbs.

If the server is running an evaluation version of Windows Server 2012 Standard or Windows Server 2012 Datacenter, you can convert it to a retail version as follows: 

1.  If the server is a domain controller, you cannot convert it to a retail version. In this case, install an additional domain controller on a server that runs a retail version and remove AD DS from the domain controller that runs on the evaluation version. For more information, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh994618.aspx.

2.  Read the license terms.

3.  From an elevated command prompt, determine the current edition name with the command DISM /online /Get-CurrentEdition. Make note of the edition ID, an abbreviated form of the edition name. Then run DISM /online /Set-Edition:<edition ID> /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX /AcceptEula, providing the edition ID and a retail product key. The server will restart twice.

For the evaluation version of Windows Server 2012 Standard, you can also convert to the retail version of Windows Server 2012 Datacenter in one step using this same command and the appropriate product key.

Meanwhile like to share the article with you.
    Evaluation Versions and Upgrade Options for Windows Server 2012

Hope it helps!
    Thanks.
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:08 AM
  • Hi,

As per my research, we can able to use OEM key for Windows Server Essential edition and for standard version we need to follow below path:

DISM /online /Set-Edition:ServerStandard /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX /AcceptEula

More information is already provided in previous link. In addition also refer beneath for additional details.
    Windows Server 2012 Evaluation – convert & activate to fully licensed

Hope it helps!
    Thanks.
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In respect for you, here providing some basic information.

For Windows Server 2012 Essentials: You can convert to the full retail version by entering a retail, volume license, or OEM key in the command slmgr.vbs.

If the server is running an evaluation version of Windows Server 2012 Standard or Windows Server 2012 Datacenter, you can convert it to a retail version as follows: 

1.  If the server is a domain controller, you cannot convert it to a retail version. In this case, install an additional domain controller on a server that runs a retail version and remove AD DS from the domain controller that runs on the evaluation version. For more information, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh994618.aspx.

2.  Read the license terms.

3.  From an elevated command prompt, determine the current edition name with the command DISM /online /Get-CurrentEdition. Make note of the edition ID, an abbreviated form of the edition name. Then run DISM /online /Set-Edition:<edition ID> /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX /AcceptEula, providing the edition ID and a retail product key. The server will restart twice.

For the evaluation version of Windows Server 2012 Standard, you can also convert to the retail version of Windows Server 2012 Datacenter in one step using this same command and the appropriate product key.

Meanwhile like to share the article with you.
    Evaluation Versions and Upgrade Options for Windows Server 2012

Hope it helps!
    Thanks.
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:08 AM
  • Thanks for your answer.

I know the technical information of microsomal and says: "For Windows Server 2012 Essentials: You can convert to the full retail version by entering a retail, volume license, OEM or key"

But the question is: Can you use a OEM key to activate Windows Server 2012 Standard, using the procedure described .. DISM / online / Set ....?

Best regards:
    JuanMa

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:05 PM
  • Hi,

As per my research, we can able to use OEM key for Windows Server Essential edition and for standard version we need to follow below path:

DISM /online /Set-Edition:ServerStandard /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX /AcceptEula

More information is already provided in previous link. In addition also refer beneath for additional details.
    Windows Server 2012 Evaluation – convert & activate to fully licensed

Hope it helps!
    Thanks.
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:02 AM
  • Hi,

Do you need any other assistance? If there is anything we can do for you, please let us know.

Thanks.
    Friday, November 29, 2013 1:34 AM
  • no thanks.
      Regards:
    JuanMa
    Friday, November 29, 2013 2:22 PM
  • i download the windows server 2012 r2 essential evaluation 180 days but i dont get the key for install it, people from microsoft suport told me i need download it again and the key will be send to my email, but its the second time i donwload it and i still dont have a key, can someone help me please?
    Thursday, December 05, 2013 10:51 PM
  • In the description above, how does Microsoft define "full retail version"?  Would it include volume licenses?  I want to install the Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard evaluation and later convert it to a volume license.  The article explicitly states that I can do this with the Essentials version.  For the standard version it only says "full retail version".  Does this mean I cannot go from Server 2012 R2 Standard evaluation to Server 2012 R2 Standard volume license?

Thank you.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 1:16 AM
  • Good morning.

For allthework I'vedone andthe hours I've spent,I recommend youusethe trial versionto testthe productand thenbuythe retail versionandyou doa clean install.

Regards:
    JuanMa

Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:20 AM
  • I have tried all of this, with elevated permissions - even calling MS and nothing will work for me.

I get this with DISM 

Check that the specified product key is valid and that it matches the target edition.
     [hrError=0x8a010001]

But I know for sure that I have to correct version.

I called Microsoft Activation twice with the long ID number and twice I was told to call back in an hour.

Thursday, April 03, 2014 1:07 PM
  • Hello.

If you do not want to waste time like I did, it is best that you reinstall the system with the new key.

The trial versions of the system are literally tryouts. To move to production you need to install the system with the final version.

Regards ..
    Sunday, April 06, 2014 2:50 PM