none
Windows Server 2008 WINS server configuration

Question

• This should be a simple question.  I needed to change the IP address for my domain controller, but I noticed the IP address for the Primary WINS Server (which is the same server) did not change, so I attempted to change it, but I cannot find the UI to change it.  I've read that it is now a Feature, but I cannot find it under Server Manager > Features.  Nor can I find it under Administrative Tools or Control Panel.  Where can I find the UI to change the Primary WINS Server IP address?  Thanks!
    Scott D Duncan
    Saturday, January 03, 2009 5:14 AM

All replies

• Hi scott,

i still wonder why MS is not getting rid of wins server even in windows 2008, but they have taken additional pain to develop a new feature called  GNZ , this is an alternative for WINS .

Ansewer to your question

When adding the DHCP Server role in Server Manager, you can specify whether or not WINS is required for applications on the network. WINS primarily supports clients that run older versions of Windows and applications that use NetBIOS. Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista®, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server® 2008 use DNS names in addition to NetBIOS names. Environments that include some computers that use NetBIOS names and other computers that use domain names must include both WINS servers and DNS servers.

If all of your network computers are running Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008, and you are not supporting any applications that require NetBIOS names, you should establish DNS as your only method of name resolution. However, before you consider decommissioning or not installing WINS servers, identify any computers or applications that rely on NetBIOS, and determine the impact of removing NetBIOS. You might find that a critical application relies on NetBIOS (with no alternative currently available) in which case, you must continue to use WINS. For example, older versions of certain applications, such as Microsoft® Systems Management Server (SMS) and Microsoft® BackOffice® client/server mail configurations using Exchange Server, might require NetBIOS naming.

The documentation for WINS has not been updated for Windows Server 2008. Aside from some software engineering changes that make WINS less vulnerable to malicious attack, WINS functionality has not changed from that available in Windows Server 2003
    sainath Windows Driver Development
    Saturday, January 03, 2009 5:40 AM
  • Thank you, Sainath, that was very informational & it is clear now that I can turn off the WINS Server feature, if I can find it.  This particular machine was a DHCP & DNS server, but those roles were disabled & moved elsewhere in the network.  Unfortunately, it still thinks it is a WINS server.  When I execute the IPCONFIG /ALL command, I can see that it still identifies itself as the Primary WINS Server, but with it's old IP address (as mentioned in the previous post).  So, how do I turn off the WINS Server feature under Windows Server 2008, or at least correct it's IP address? Thanks!
    Scott D Duncan
    Saturday, January 03, 2009 2:26 PM
  •  hi scott,

i would personally install wins only for legacy applications wich are still in need of netbios name resolution .

best of luck for your future setup's and feel free to post queries when stuck.

sainath Windows Driver Development
    Saturday, January 03, 2009 6:12 PM
  • Why not get just get rid of WINS and implement a GlobalNames Zone?

Here's how:

http://robsilver.org/misc/why-wins-will-be-here-for-some-time-or-not/

Rob

Thursday, July 22, 2010 8:19 PM
  • If you still want WINS, it can be found by opening Server Manager->Features->Add Features->Wins Server. That is what I have found in Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.  I am converting from 2003 domain and I am not going to take the time to verify that I do not need WINS.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:49 PM