none
RD Connection Broker Load Balancing

Question

• A brief explanation of our setup:

RDS Farm with 6 RDS servers (RDS1 - 6) load-balanced via round robin in DNS

2 RD Gateway Servers (RDG1 - 2) load-balanced via round robin in DNS; both of which have the RD Connection Broker service installed and running

Clients connect to rdsfarm.domain.com via rdg.domain.com

I am new to the company as a system administrator and trying to improve the availability of our RDS Farm for our remote users; the vast majority of the company's employees use RDS to gain access to the resources internal to the network.  One of the things I am noticing is that in the RD Session Host Configuration for each of the RDS Farm member servers is that while they are properly setup to join a Farm via the FQDN of rdsfarm.domain.com, they are all pointed to a single RD Connection Broker server (rdg1.domain.com).  I would think that the RD Connection Broker server specification would be similar to the Farm server specification in which you use the FQDN of the Connection Broker farm vice a single connection broker.

I could experiment by changing this setting on a couple of RDS servers, however, being the new guy, I don't want to change something and end up breaking it when this is a critical business resource for the company; I would like to keep my job.  So looking to see if anyone else has experience with a setup similar to ours (load-balanced Gateway/Connection Brokers PLUS load-balanced RDS Server Farm) and what the correct configuration should be for the Connection Broker server in the Session Host Configuration for each of the RDS servers.

I have searched the net high and low and have found plenty of information from Microsoft and other forums on how to setup and configure a load-balanced farm but I have yet to find anything that describes a load-balanced Gateway/Connection Broker setup.

Your help and responses is much appreciated in advance.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Carey

Saturday, July 14, 2012 3:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

It should only one Connection Broker server list in all farm member servers. The two RDCB have separate database, so we cannot control which RDCB the client initially connects to. This will cause the client cannot connect to their running session through RDCB. However, for load balancer, you can deploy NLB together with RD Connection Broker. For fail-over redundancy, you can deploy Fail-over clustering with RD Connection Broker.

For more detailed information, you may refer to the following article.

Network Load Balancing Step-by-Step Guide: Configuring Network Load Balancing with Terminal Services

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc771300(v=WS.10).aspx

Deploying Remote Desktop Connection Broker with High Availability Step-by-Step Guide

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff686148(v%3Dws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Aiden

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

It should only one Connection Broker server list in all farm member servers. The two RDCB have separate database, so we cannot control which RDCB the client initially connects to. This will cause the client cannot connect to their running session through RDCB. However, for load balancer, you can deploy NLB together with RD Connection Broker. For fail-over redundancy, you can deploy Fail-over clustering with RD Connection Broker.

For more detailed information, you may refer to the following article.

Network Load Balancing Step-by-Step Guide: Configuring Network Load Balancing with Terminal Services

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc771300(v=WS.10).aspx

Deploying Remote Desktop Connection Broker with High Availability Step-by-Step Guide

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff686148(v%3Dws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Aiden

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:23 AM
  • In addition to Aiden's reply a quick FYI, the upcoming Windows Server 2012 will support active-active High Availability with a central RD Connection Broker database. http://microsoftplatform.blogspot.nl/2012/04/how-to-configure-high-availability-for.html

Kind regards,
    Freek Berson
    The Microsoft Platform
    Twitter
    Linked-in
    Wortell company website

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:15 AM
  • Gentlemen:

Thank you very, very much for your replies.  Aiden, after I had posted this question, I did some more digging around on the web and came across the RDCB High Availability document you referenced.  Once I read through that, I pretty much knew the question I posted could not be answered as there is not currently a load-balancing scenario for RDCB.  However, I am happy to hear that Server 2012 is going to provide this functionality though.  Now the project ahead is to reconfigure our current setup to make it function the way we think it would function now (which obviously it won't).  Thanks again and have a great day.

Sincerely,
    Carey

Friday, July 20, 2012 9:42 PM
  • Hi all,

I have a single 2012 server configured to handle RDWEB/RDgateway/RDCB and a second server that is a 2012 RDSH.  Everything is working great except that I am using a wildcard cert on the gateway server that is *.domain.com and the actual server name is rds.domain.local which causes older clients to squawk at the cert and also have to re-enter credentials multiple times.

I found a post about how to change the RDCB name, but it only appears to be possible in an HA configuration, so the idea is to create single-server HA setup.  I installed SQL 2012 express on the same server, created a universal security group that includes the server AD account, and gave that security group a SQL login with dbcreator priveleges.

Unfortunately when I run the HA wizard, I get the "could not create the database" error, but I don't see any failed login attempt in the SQL logs.  Any ideas?

thanks!

Monday, December 17, 2012 5:56 AM
  • Pesospesos im exactly in the same situation. Tried all with no luck. Did u solve?!??!?!?!
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 7:10 AM