none
VMC not refreshing

Question

• Hi. I use Windows Server 2012 and many VM's on this server.

And now i noticed, sometimes if i logn time not working with VM - display this VM is "pused". As example:
    i run Windows Update and wait when it finish, but Windows Update paused. I still wait when finish install 2 updates - but long time never happens. And process-line have one position. When I get tired of waiting i go to VM and display switch to actually moment )

Is it possible to fix the display refresh? Because I can wait for hours (

Thank you!

• Edited by Anahaym Thursday, May 02, 2013 3:52 PM
    Thursday, May 02, 2013 3:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

> display this VM is "pused

I don’t very understand what did you mean “paused”, Paused status displayed in Hyper-V manager or just the VM looks like paused, no response?

What’s the OS version of these guest VMs, all the guest VMs have the same problem?

Have you installed latest Integration Service for these guest VMs? Also run Windows Update on the host server to install latest updates.

> i run Windows Update and wait when it finish, but Windows Update paused.

Run Windows update in the guest VM?

Give us more detailed description of your problem to help us understand the issue.

For more information you may refer to following MS articles:

Poor performance when you enable RemoteFX in Hyper-V on a Windows Server 2012-based computer that uses AMD processors
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2770440

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 03, 2013 5:59 AM
  • --- I don’t very understand what did you mean “paused”,

I mean that picture on display not changed. Any guest VM's have same problem.

--- Run Windows update in the guest VM?

Yes.

So, I configure new VM, i want install all update, and run Windows Update. If i have so much updates i must wait long time. It looks like:

While updating i continue my job on, as example, web-browser. I wait and wait. Sometimes looking to VMC. But it is not finish. When I get tired of waiting i go to VM (click mouse to VMC) and display immediately refresh to actual situation. Windows Update is finished 20 minutes ago. But i still have seen 69 % update process.

• Edited by Anahaym Friday, May 03, 2013 9:11 AM
    Friday, May 03, 2013 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 06, 2013 5:41 AM
  • Hi,

At first, if this unable to boot issue may impacts your business, and you want to fix this issue ASAP, please consider to perform the following In-place upgrade to recovery this issue immediately.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Also I suggest you before installing these updates on these VMs, please try to install the latest Integration Service.

Usually there are two possible causes for a boot failure issue after applying updates:

1. The Windows will hang at the “configuring updates” screen after the reboot. Reboot again doesn’t fix this issue.
    2. There are some corrupt HIV caused this issue, so the server unable to boot to normal mode and the safe mode.

Action plans:

In this situation, I would like to provide both of the above steps for your reference:

1. Fix the “Configuring updates” failure:
    ===========================
    a. Please boot the server to Recovery Console.
    b. From the command prompt please change the dir to c:\windows\winsxs
    c. Please check if there is a pending.xml locates in the directory, if so, please rename it to be pending.xml.old.
    d. Then, please try to test if the server can be boot now.

2. If above steps doesn’t fix this issue, or the server doesn’t pend on the configuration process, please perform the following steps to replace the related hiv file by the backup hiv file.:
    ===========================
    I. Boot to Recovery Console
    a. Start your computer by using the Windows install DVD. 
    b. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair the installation, and then press C to start Recovery Console. 
    c. Select the Windows installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER. 
    d. Type the Administrator password, and then press ENTER.

II. Use the backup System registry hiv to replace the current hiv:
    a. In the Recovery Console.
    b. In CMD, go to: %systemroot%\System32\Config\
    c. Run: ren system system.old
    ren components components.old
    ren default default.old
    ren software software.old

d. Go to: %systemroot%\System32\Config\regback
    e. Run: copy %systemroot%\system32\config\regback\system %systemroot%\system32\config
    copy %systemroot%\system32\config\regback\software %systemroot%\system32\config
    copy %systemroot%\system32\config\regback\default %systemroot%\system32\config
    copy %systemroot%\system32\config\regback\components %systemroot%\system32\config

f. Restart your computer.

Note: Please replace the %systemroot% by the actual system path on this server.
    Above steps may lose recently installed services/drivers.

III. After that, please try to test if the server can boot to normal mode now.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 10:45 AM
  •  i haven't any problem with boot VM. My case is just some strange with Virtual Machines Connection console. Windows Update - just example. Any pictures on VMC can be set as pause.
    Wednesday, May 08, 2013 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please try to do clean boot or boot to safe mode and check whether the issue can get better:

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows7/start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, May 10, 2013 8:44 AM
  • Hi,

Could you please try to do clean boot or boot to safe mode and check whether the issue can get better:

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows7/start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

The Hyper-V works on Safe mode ?

Friday, May 10, 2013 10:21 AM
  • Hi,

I meant the safe mode for the VM.

Have you run sfc /scannow to check whether there are some corrupted files on the system?

Besides, I suggest you run checksur as well on the problematic VM:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Regards,

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:09 PM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Regards,

Friday, June 28, 2013 11:14 AM
  • i haven't any problem with system. I use this PC as workstation. And only sometimes i have this strange case with visual effect...

• Proposed as answer by Peterson_Xiao Monday, July 01, 2013 2:12 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Anahaym Friday, November 08, 2013 4:49 PM
    Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:53 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you, per the situation now, I will mark this post as answer as the system haven't any problem.

Monday, July 01, 2013 2:12 AM
  • i haven't any problems into system, but VMC (Virtual Machine Connection) behaving strangely. And on Hyper-V 2012 R2 - same case (

And Alt+PrtScrn doesn't work to (

• Edited by Anahaym Friday, November 08, 2013 4:55 PM
    Friday, November 08, 2013 4:54 PM
  • I used to see this on the preview copies, but I don't recall seeing it since I have upgraded to 2012 R2.  It was very random - I could never pin down why it would happen sometimes and not others.  It would clear up, just as you said, when you simply clicked in the VMconnect window.

Are you running released code, or are you still on preview 2012 R2?

.:|:.:|:. tim

Friday, November 08, 2013 11:38 PM
  • R2 RTM

Saturday, November 09, 2013 9:17 AM