none
dealing with known spammers

General discussion

• I was looking at the logs for my router and 178.73.17.204 keeps coming up. This is a well known spammer who usually attacks forums and floods it messages for fake products and smut.

I use a Cisco router and so far the spammers have not been any real threat. Still I was wondering about opening up other services and the specter of more spammer attacks.

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

• Changed type Tiger Li Wednesday, January 04, 2012 1:21 AM
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:25 PM

All replies

• On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 16:25:03 +0000, Vegan Fanatic [MVP] wrote:

I was looking at the logs for my router and 178.73.17.204 keeps coming up. This is a well known spammer who usually attacks forums and floods it messages for fake products and smut.

I use a Cisco router and so far the spammers have not been any real threat. Still I was wondering about opening up other services and the specter of more spammer attacks.

Is there a specific question here?

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Overflow on /dev/null; please empty the bit bucket.

Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Can server 08r2 manage to defend itself against these miscreants if I put my server into the DMZ

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:37 PM
  • On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 16:37:41 +0000, Vegan Fanatic [MVP] wrote:

Can server 08r2 manage to defend itself against these miscreants if I put my server into the DMZ

This is still a hugely wide open question. As far as spammers go, that
    really depends on what you're using for an email server and what anti-spam
    protection said product provides.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    If it was easy, the hardware people would take care of it.

• Marked as answer by Tiger Li Monday, January 02, 2012 3:22 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Tiger Li Monday, January 02, 2012 3:22 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Tiger Li Monday, January 02, 2012 3:23 AM
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 5:12 PM
  • I was considering upping hyper-v and using exchange on one vm and sharepoint on another

maybe another vm for another service set if needed

Saturday, December 31, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Hi Vegan,

Thanks for posting here.

Your questions is still not clear at all. Yes , server vitalization and separating services are good methods to security our Windows based service however security is a big topic and not only just the parts we mentioned .

We may refer to the links below and start to plane and build our security enforcement in order to consolidate our widows server to against the threatens form outside if we are going to set it directly face to internet :

Windows Server Security

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/ff843381

Security TechCenter

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bb291012

Regards,

Tiger Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, January 02, 2012 3:22 AM
  • Hi Vegan,

Please feel free to let us know if the information was helpful to you.

Regards,

Tiger Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 8:03 AM
  • Right now I am using a Cisco box to deal with security, its solid and I have been happy. The router can deal with most problems easy.

Over the holidays I read the IIS logs and I was disappointed at the vast numbers of invalid get and even invalid header requests

some of the requests are some standard locations for forums etc, suggesting that the miscreants are spammers

so far IIS seems to be able to cope. So far.

Naturally I install all patches and updates and I am using Microsoft Security Essentials as it seems to be suitable for a single server shop.

Now that I have more RAM I can consider Hyper-V and I am mainly hoping Exchange Server is not to be a problem.

I still only have one bare metal server for the moment.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 12:49 PM
  • Is there any capacity is server 08r2 to keep a table of known spammers?

This way I can better keep them at bay

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 1:38 AM