none
Ricoh Aficio MP C2051 Scan to Folder - Windows Server 2012 Error: Authentication with the destination has failed check settings

Question

• I have recently upgraded a clients servers to Windows Server 2012 & since doing so have lost the ability to scan to folder.

Both servers are domain controllers and previously on a 2008 domain controller I would have had to make the following change to allow scan to folder:
     Administrative Tools
     Server Manager
     Features
     Group Policy Manager
     Forest: ...
     Default Domain Policy
    Computer configuration
     Policies
     Windows Settings
     Security Settings
     Local Policies
     Security Options
     Microsoft Network Server: Digitally Sign Communications (Always)
     - Define This Policy
     - Disabled

However I have applied this to the Windows 2012 server but am still unable to scan, possibly due to added layers of security in server 2012. The error on the scanner is Authentication with the destination has failed check settings.
    I have also tried the following at the server:
    Policies -> Security Policies
    Change Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level to: Send LM & NTLM - Use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.
    Network security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP based (including secure RPC) clients and uncheck the require 128 bit.
    Network security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP based (including secure RPC) servers and uncheck the require 128 bit
    I have created a user account on the server for the ricoh and set this in the settiings of the Ricoh and verified everything is correct.

Are there any other things I have missed?

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I searched on Ricoh website and found the error:

http://support.ricoh.com/bb_v1oi/pub_e/oi_view/0001036/0001036377/view/trouble/int/0064.htm

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

"Authentication with the destination has failed. Check settings. To check the current status, press [Scanned Files Status]."

Cause:

The entered user name or password was invalid.

Solution:

Check that the user name and password are correct.
    Check that the ID and password for the destination folder are correct.
    A password of 128 or more characters may not be recognized.

I assume the issue occurs when trying to "print to file" remotely. From the description is seems to be an valication issue. If available, could you test to logon an account locally on the printer server to see if Print to file will work. If so, try the same account on a remote system.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 05, 2012 6:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

http://support.ricoh.com/bb_v1oi/pub_e/oi_view/0001036/0001036377/view/trouble/int/0064.htm

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

"Authentication with the destination has failed. Check settings. To check the current status, press [Scanned Files Status]."

Cause:

Solution:

I assume the issue occurs when trying to "print to file" remotely. From the description is seems to be an valication issue. If available, could you test to logon an account locally on the printer server to see if Print to file will work. If so, try the same account on a remote system.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 05, 2012 6:24 AM
  • Having similar issues here, I am wondering if MS recently patched something related to SMB security in Windows?

These links regarding SMB signing might be related? -

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-server-2003/fix-for-smbc-lib-failed-to-tree-connect-error-in-printersscanners/

http://support.exinda.com/topic/how-to-disable-smb-signing-on-windows-servers-to-improve-smb-performance

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887429
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:49 PM
  • I have recently upgraded a clients servers to Windows Server 2012 & since doing so have lost the ability to scan to folder.

Both servers are domain controllers and previously on a 2008 domain controller I would have had to make the following change to allow scan to folder:
     Administrative Tools
     Server Manager
     Features
     Group Policy Manager
     Forest: ...
     Default Domain Policy
    Computer configuration
     Policies
     Windows Settings
     Security Settings
     Local Policies
     Security Options
     Microsoft Network Server: Digitally Sign Communications (Always)
     - Define This Policy
     - Disabled

However I have applied this to the Windows 2012 server but am still unable to scan, possibly due to added layers of security in server 2012. The error on the scanner is Authentication with the destination has failed check settings.
    I have also tried the following at the server:
    Policies -> Security Policies
    Change Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level to: Send LM & NTLM - Use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.
    Network security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP based (including secure RPC) clients and uncheck the require 128 bit.
    Network security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP based (including secure RPC) servers and uncheck the require 128 bit
    I have created a user account on the server for the ricoh and set this in the settiings of the Ricoh and verified everything is correct.

Are there any other things I have missed?

Having this issues after the upgrade of one of my servers to Windows Server 2012. Now, the printer can't scan in a shared folder like days ago...
    Tuesday, December 04, 2012 3:02 PM
  • I am having this issue too.  I wish there was an answer.  Nothing can scan to this new server 2012 server.  quite frustrating.  with ricoh 171,181,201,301, and 6000.  All not working.  If I logon to a pc, as the scan account, i can see the files and folders that i am trying to scan too. 
    Tuesday, December 04, 2012 11:52 PM
  • Just got a relpy from our ricoh tech.  Server 2012 and win 8 SMB scanning doesn't work.  Until a new firmware is released.  no ETA on that.  Great.
    • Proposed as answer by joefrazier4th Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:53 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by joefrazier4th Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:54 PM
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:53 PM
  • I have had a ticket open with Xerox for over a month now for the same issue with the same response.  They will eventualy give us new firmware to reolve the problem, but I have now sent this up to our Microsoft rep since this is the only thing holding us from moving to a Server 2012 file server. 

In our case the system can create the file lock on the system, but from there all fails.  The event log shows that successful login and access by the approved account, but other than the lock folder and file creation nothing.  The system is preventing the lock from being manipulated to create the PDF and then delete the lock.  The problem is definitely around security on the new system as it applies to remote file manipulation from a non-Microsoft system.

You would hope that Microsoft would work with the vendors to resolve this or at least give a work-around until it can be resolved.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:13 PM
  • Hi,
    this is SMB specification change at windwos 2012 & windwos 8.
    An option setting included in the "SMB_COM_WRITE_ANDX" and "SMB_COM_READ_ANDX" commands needs to be changed.
    you need upgrade your MFP's firmware,
    but ricoh not ready the firmware.
    you need report to your sales Company.
    Saturday, December 22, 2012 8:30 PM
  • Hi,
    this is SMB specification change at windwos 2012 & windwos 8.
    An option setting included in the "SMB_COM_WRITE_ANDX" and "SMB_COM_READ_ANDX" commands needs to be changed.
    you need upgrade your MFP's firmware,
    but ricoh not ready the firmware.
    you need report to your sales Company.

Hi,

Not only windows 8 & 2012 not work.

I got an issue with OS of widows 7.

I'd try close firewall and RICOH's tech documents.

Still can't scan documents to user's PC. Other Windows 7 PC can do this.

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 5:19 AM
  • Hi,

Cause:

Solution:

I am having the same problem with Xerox machines
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:29 PM
  • This is what happens to me  

Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:39 PM
  • I have been looking into this Ricoh have issues with this back since windows 7 but that was sorted 

then Windows 8 and server 2012  this uses SMB version 3 protocol

Now its supposed to be Backwards compatible ummmm its not, Most MFP devices that used "Scan to Folder" used smb 1 or 2 but that is old school now and needed to change eg SMB 3 

what should happen is that windows server 2012 and windows 8 should see this device on the network and allow accses to the "Public" folders on each machine

so you go up to the Machine and it see any comp on the network

But as we no that never works and there so many loop holes and security to well turn off

Ricoh are working on a fix but only for there latest machines any working on s G5 controller will not work on server 2012

so whats the fix well FTP works or using a File server such as a Nas drive many Nas drives will allow scan to folder as well eg the D-Link DNS 325

then the admin of this can be controlled but Microsoft needs to sort this if they want windows 8 in the office  

Monday, February 18, 2013 1:34 PM
  • A few weeks ago we got notified of the updated firmware that fixed this.

Applied and all is well.

May want to check with your vendors / maintenance people for an update!

:) -Andrew

Friday, May 10, 2013 3:52 PM
  • Where did you get the firmware? I've been scouring their website and I can only find drivers to download.

I have the same problem with scanning to folders for regular user accounts only. Administrator group accounts can scan successfully. I've done all the usual steps of opening firewall, setting the shared folder open to "everyone",etc. I can connect to the share from another computer using the user account and put files in/out in an explorer window, but can't get the scanner to connect with the same credentials. Why would I be able to connect from another workstation but not from the Aficio?

Friday, May 17, 2013 12:25 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

I logged a fault with Ricoh and they came out and upgraded the firmware but the guy who did the upgrade wasn't too sure if it was the right one or not. Was your for a Ricoh and if so what version firmware did they upgrade it to?

Thanks,

Phill

Monday, May 20, 2013 7:34 AM
  • The Ricoh firmware 'NETWORK SUPPORT' module needs updating.

That's it.

HP DL120 G6 16Gb, 250GB, 1TB Data, SBS2008

• Proposed as answer by Insight Systems Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:24 AM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:24 AM
  • This scanning issue with windows server 2012 gave me problems for quite some time.

Thanks to this thread i now know what to do... -upgrade the firmware.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 4:30 AM
  • We managed to solve this problem by accesing shared smb resource by the server's IP address instead of the hostname, i.e \\192.168.1.254\scan 
    Thursday, January 09, 2014 8:45 AM
  • Not doubting your skills but that is due to DNS not being set/functioning correctly.  Not the same error.

HP DL120 G6 16Gb, 250GB, 1TB Data, SBS2008

Friday, January 10, 2014 12:27 PM
  • Thanks you. can you please email it here.

Aficio 3260C

Norbin.Cruz_at_gmail.com

Ncruz1980

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 6:41 PM
  • Please

Erick.tejeda@gmail.com

Thnks!

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:38 PM
  • Aficio MP C3300

Thank you very much... just lost here trying to find right firmware

billy

billy@acstampabay.com

Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:48 AM
  • MP C2050

ricoh@efini.co.uk

Thank you very much.

Steve

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 3:42 PM
  • Steve

Ricoh have not released updated firmware for your model.

Sorry

Daren

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:20 PM
  • Hey Norbin

The 3260 is too old.  Ricoh will not be producing the firmware for it.

Cheers

Daren

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:21 PM
  • Model?
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:22 PM
  • Thanks!

Aficio MP C 2800

Please mail it to:

fvon71@gmail.com

Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:08 PM
  • I have an Aficio MP C3501 and an Aficio MP C2551. If you have firmware for them would be most grateful for a download.
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 7:06 AM
  • I can email anybody the firmware module if interested and how to...

Tell me your model and email

I have same problem with Ricoh Aficio MP C4501.

Please write me if it have new firmware release for Network modul.

Thanks you

newdealfx@gmail.com

Monday, February 03, 2014 1:34 PM
  • Is there a firmware update for the 3235C that will allow this to work? If so can you email it to stephen@spotweldit.com, Thanks.
    Monday, February 03, 2014 9:30 PM
  • Thanks in advance;

Aficio MP C2500

Kim Kimura

wmkimura@wagnerforest.com
    • Edited by Kim Kimura Tuesday, February 04, 2014 4:21 PM
    Tuesday, February 04, 2014 4:20 PM
  • Hi Can you send me new firmware for MP171 and for 3025 ?

riccardoaccetta@hotmail.com

Thank you

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 6:51 PM

If your offer still stands we have an Aficio MP C2500

Kim Kimura

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 8:02 PM

Kim Kimura

Darren, thank you for your email confirming that the Aficio MP C2500 is too old and won't be getting a firmware update to work with SMB-3.
    Wednesday, February 05, 2014 2:19 PM
  • Encountered this issue after updating the domain administrator password.

Login to Ricoh as admin from Web GUI > select "Address Book" on the left > pick a user > "Change" > under folder authentication verify who it's using and press "Change" to update the password.

Created a Ricoh service account with just permissions to a certain directory instead of using domain admin.

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 5:47 PM
  • Thank you for the offer.

Aficio MP 2851

bell.saito@gmail.com

Tom

Saturday, February 08, 2014 3:19 AM
  • dang@viewbank.vic.edu.au

Thanks

Ricoh Aficio MP C5502A and

Ricoh Aficio 9002

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 1:48 AM
  • Having same problem.  Can you email it here.

Aficio MP C4502

cdorow_at_beckettair.com

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:26 PM
  • Lanier MP C4502

blckpythn@yahoo.com

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:13 PM
  • Please note that there is now a kb article and update pack which fixes this issue.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2896636

Update rollup 2887595 released November 2013 for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2887595

I can confirm that this update fixed our scanning problems with copiers without needing a firmware update. Also had to have Netbios over TCP/IP enabled on the server.

Let me know if you have questions about this.

• Proposed as answer by tacktick Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:39 PM
    • Edited by tacktick Friday, February 28, 2014 4:46 PM confirmed working fix
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:38 PM
  • MP W3600 Do you have one for this?

Please email to  rjsherry @ gmail.com

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 4:21 PM
  • Hello,

Can you please email me for the machines:

MPC3500

MPC2050

MP161MFP

Thank you

andre@inforbarrosas.com

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 6:10 PM
  • Ricoh Aficio MP C2500

Ricoh Aficio MP C4500

Ricoh Aficio MP C5502

Ricoh Aficio MP 9001

email to mike@netguys.biz

Thanks in advance

Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:41 AM
  • Hello,

Ricoh Aficio 2051
    Ricoh Aficio MP4000

albert.marques@gmail.com

Thank you very much

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 8:42 AM
  • Hi Daren, does it exists firmware update for aficio MP 2000? Thanks Antonio forty@tin.it
    Wednesday, April 02, 2014 9:08 AM
  • Hi, is this still available?

I need the firmware for a Ricoh Aficio MP C2500.

It currently has: Network Support 5.20.1

Email: crose@inlinecomputers.ca

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:56 PM
  • please

MP C4500

behappy2000@naver.com

thank you.

Friday, April 18, 2014 10:32 AM
  • Hi...can you send me the firmware of ricoh 2550b for window 8 to me?

by email: choubpiseth@gmail.com

thanks!

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:22 AM
  • Hi there,

trick to let scan to folder work is really easy.

Win2k12 have the SMB ver 1,2,3 working, but old ricoh machine can only on smb1 (until new firmware installation)

So u just need to enable on win8 the SMB ver 1 with Powershell command :

• To enable SMBv1 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
      sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi 
      sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= auto

Have nice day

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:25 AM
  • Hi, I'm looking for firmware for Ricoh MP C5000.

dannybrook@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:29 PM
  • Hi, can you send me firmware for

MP2852CSP
    MPC4500
    MP201SPF
    MPC3300
    MP3351

Email : julien.simon@alvea.fr

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 7:52 AM
  • where to finde the firmware for:

Ricoh Aficio MP C2551

email: muncke@live.dk

thanks!

:)

• Proposed as answer by ton61 Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:27 PM
    Monday, May 05, 2014 7:38 AM

Kim Kimura

Darren, thank you for your email confirming that the Aficio MP C2500 is too old and won't be getting a firmware update to work with SMB-3.

If your offer still stands we have an Aficio MP C2500,

Thanks!

email: palotes_pepito@hotmail.com

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 10:48 AM
  • I have Ricoh Aficio MP 4000

Email: gblatter@bfhlawfirm.com

Please email the firmware for this model.  Thanks.

Gary

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:40 PM
  • I have Ricoh Aficio MP 4000

Email: gblatter@bfhlawfirm.com

Please email the firmware for this model.  Thanks.

Gary

I also have a MP4000 with this issue could use the firmware.

jasonc@360documentsolutions.com

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 6:51 PM
  • Ive also seen this problem at many customers with olders MFP's, the fastest solution is to setup a FTP-server with IIS or filezilla, share the FTP-folder and map it to the users.
    Wednesday, June 04, 2014 6:56 PM
  • Hello Daren,

Please e-mail firmware to harakaki2@hotmail.com for:

Ricoh Aficio MP C4501

Ricoh Aficio MP 2852

Thanks!

Thursday, June 05, 2014 3:38 AM
  • Please email to mfish_work@yahoo.com

Ricoh Aficio MP C4501

Thanks!

Monday, June 09, 2014 6:12 PM
  • Please e-mail to expowerru@gmail.com

Ricoh Aficio MP 2000

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:31 AM
  • Does this offer still stand?

If so, we have a Ricoh Aficio MP C2050 having the same issues.

aflorian3@outlook.com

Thanks!!!

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:07 PM
  • Please e-mail to expowerru@gmail.com

Ricoh Aficio MP 2000

Thanks!

I also ask

l.szostek@gmail.com

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:16 AM
  • Hello Steve!

Do you can send me the firmware?

Ricoh Aficio MP 201

e.bruno@live.com
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:53 PM
  • Hello Steve!

Do you can send me the firmware?

Aficio MP C2800                      

joemrx@gmail

-chief-

Friday, June 27, 2014 6:04 PM
  • HI Steve,

Hope this is still an option, I do have a call in with out local Ricoh dealer, but would like the firmware for the following

Aficio MP C5501

email: dahak777_AT_gmail.com

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 4:26 PM
  • Hi! 

My model is Aficio MP C2051

mail - akondriya@space-it.com.ua

please help with firmware!

Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:10 AM
  • Please note that there is now a kb article and update pack which fixes this issue.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2896636

Update rollup 2887595 released November 2013 for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2887595

I can confirm that this update fixed our scanning problems with copiers without needing a firmware update. Also had to have Netbios over TCP/IP enabled on the server.

Let me know if you have questions about this.

These updates don't fix it

<Signature>

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 5:56 PM
  • Hey!

My model is Aficio MP C2051

mail - jarrik@cube-it.be

please help with firmware!

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 3:20 PM
  • Hello,

Ricoh Aficio  MP 301SPF

matays.vv@gmail.com

Thank you very much!

Friday, August 15, 2014 4:08 AM
  • Hee! Hopefully this offer still stands..

We are using Ricoh Aficio MP171 printers.

Email: Ingmar@degrootfreshgroup.nl

Thank you very much!

Monday, August 18, 2014 12:10 PM
  • Does this offer still stand?

If so, we have a Ricoh Aficio MP C2050 having the same issues.

aflorian3@outlook.com

Thanks!!!

Hello!

I need also Ricoh Aficio MP C02050 firmware.

Can you please send it to me?

jj.pakkanen@gmail.com

Best Regards, Joonas

• Proposed as answer by fscms Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by fscms Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:57 AM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 6:32 AM
  • We have the same problem with our Ricoh scanners. I need firmware for

MP C5000

MP C2352

MP C5501

If available?

chris.wakefield@gmail.com

Thursday, August 21, 2014 6:13 PM

If your offer still stands we have an Aficio SP 5200S

email: oscarallos@hotmail.com

Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by A Salerni Thursday, September 04, 2014 10:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by A Salerni Thursday, September 04, 2014 10:24 AM
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 11:28 AM

We have the same problem with our Ricoh scanners. I need firmware for

MP 2000

MP 161

If available? 

email: edp@tecnomagnete.it

Thanks in advance

Thursday, September 04, 2014 10:26 AM
  • Hi,

I have a MP C3501 if anyone could send me the firmware update to memmsn @gmail.com!

Monday, September 08, 2014 8:22 AM
  • If still available I'd really appreciate the updated firmware for Ricoh MP 3500. I've been looking everywhere. Thanks!

mckev22@yahoo.com

Friday, September 12, 2014 5:31 PM
  • Daren,

I was trying to find the person who could help with this, I'm hoping is you.

We have a Ricoh Aficio MP C3502 

otto@ecwcomputers.com

Thank you in advance.  

Otto

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 4:40 PM
  • I recently ran into an issue with SMB scanning on a Konica/Minolta Bizhub to a Windows 2008 R2 server. I wrote up instructions how I resolved it at http://blog.korteksolutions.com/how-to-setup-smb-scanning-on-the-konica-minolta-bizhub-copier-to-scan-to-a-windows-share/

Hope this helps!

Lyle Epstein
    Kortek Solutions
    http://www.korteksolutions.com

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:06 AM
  • If this is still available.

Ricoh Aficio mp-4001 firmware please. 

23 hours 32 minutes ago