none
hyper-v domain controller machines not synchronize time with AD servers

Question

• Hai,

In my setup i have 2 physical servers with Hyper-v role enabled. In first physical server i installed DC1 it has all 5 fsmo roles.

In my second physical server i installed DC2 as Hyper-v Virtual Machine.

the problem is,

the DC1 taking the time from the physical server1 what it has set.

the same DC2 taking the time from the physical server2 what it has set.

In DC2 when i run the command net time \\dc1 /set it sync with DC1 and taking the time of DC1 and immediately it gets changes to time of Physical server2.

due to this, i face the problem replication issues. how can i synchronize my times with AD????

Please advise

Chandru CT. MCITP
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For virtual machines that are configured as domain controllers, it is recommended that you partially disable time synchronization between the host system and guest operating system acting as a domain controller. This enables your guest domain controller to synchronize time for the domain hierarchy, but protects it from having a time skew if it is restored from a Saved state. Also, please make sure that your domain does have a correctly configured authoritative time source.

For more information, please refer to the Question #6 (My virtual machine should be synchronizing to the domain (or an external server) – but when I run that command it tells me that the Hyper-V time synchronization provider is being used!  How do I fix this!) of the following article:

Time Synchronization in Hyper-V

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2010/11/19/time-synchronization-in-hyper-v.aspx

Thanks.

Nina

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, July 08, 2011 3:30 AM

All replies