none
Setting a Quota in a client shared folder

Question

• Hi,

My domain consist of 230 client desktops, each one has a shared temp folder which is mapped locally. The user of each folder is set to "Everyone" with a full restriction, this is a requirement for or local applications. My DS is WS 2008 Ent. SP2, and my clients are mixed with Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.

People tends to mis-use this location by saving non work related files and others. I would like to apply a quota to this remote folder so that i can specify the size that our application would only require using GPO. Please help on how to do this.

Thanks and Regards,

• Edited by Casper Boy Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:08 AM Update
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From your description, you would like to stop users from saving specific files or limit the total size of files stored in a local folder on client system. 

I'm afraid this will not work as there is no function on client system to stop saving specific files. Quota on client system is applied to Volume instead of folder and as we cannot specific file type, it will not help either. 

Generally we will set "home folder" for clients to get a map drive, which point to a network location. Then we could set FSRM - Disk Quota as you just said. 

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 16, 2013 1:24 PM

All replies

• You may want to try setting up file screen,its better for pin pointing the things that you dont want and you have more control over the use of folder space.
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:07 AM
  • Thanks for the idea wewill, i have this in my file servers but not in the clients local desktops, how can i do that?

regards,

• Proposed as answer by WeWillRemain Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:00 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by WeWillRemain Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:00 AM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:20 AM
  • Applies To: Windows Server 2008

Create file screens to block files that belong to particular file groups from being saved on a volume or in a folder tree. A file screen affects all folders in the designated path. For example, you might create a file screen to prevent users from storing audio and video files in their personal folders on the server.

You can configure File Server Resource Manager to generate e-mail or other notifications when a file screening event occurs.

A file screen can be either active or passive:

• Active screening prevents users from saving unauthorized file types on the server.
    • Passive screening monitors users saving specific file types and generates any configured notifications, but does not prevent users from saving files. 

A file screen does not prevent users and applications from accessing files that were saved to the path before the file screen was created, regardless of whether the files are members of blocked file groups.

To simplify the management of file screens, we recommend that you base your file screens on file screen templates. A file screen template defines a screening type (active or passive), a set of file groups to block, and a set of notifications to be generated when a user attempts to save an unauthorized file. File Server Resource Manager provides several default file screen templates, which you can use to block audio and video files, executable files, image files, and e-mail files—and to meet some other common administrative needs. To view the default templates, select the File Screen Templates node in the File Server Resource Manager console tree.

For additional flexibility, you can configure a file screen exception in a subfolder of a path where you have created a file screen. When you place a file screen exception on a subfolder, you allow users to save file types there that would otherwise be blocked by the file screen applied to the parent folder.

#sorry about the copy and paste

• Edited by WeWillRemain Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:10 AM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:09 AM
  • hi wewill,

Appreciate your idea, as i have said I have this in my file servers and from your last sentence on the first paragraph you said " prevent users from storing audio and video files in their personal folders on the server." Yeas i am doing this and automatic reporting using FSRM.

What i mean is in their local computer desktop. I would like to do Quota and File Screening in each of the client's local computer's (ex. c:\temp) using GPO or whatever is available.

Regards,

Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Hi,

From your description, you would like to stop users from saving specific files or limit the total size of files stored in a local folder on client system. 

I'm afraid this will not work as there is no function on client system to stop saving specific files. Quota on client system is applied to Volume instead of folder and as we cannot specific file type, it will not help either. 

Generally we will set "home folder" for clients to get a map drive, which point to a network location. Then we could set FSRM - Disk Quota as you just said. 

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 16, 2013 1:24 PM