none
Windows Search Filter Host constant high CPU usage

Question

• Hi, I have 2012 Essentials set up with 3 x 2TB drives in a storage spaces pool (no resiliency).

When I copy files to the server, for instance right now when I am populating the pool with the data from the old server, the CPU load goes 100%. Granted the machine is only a 1.3GHZ dual core, and I appreciated using a software pool solution will carry some CPU overheads to operate.. but I didn't expect it to go 100% with just one file copy process going??

Windows Search Filter Host is taking approx. 50% and then 40% to System. When I stop the file transfer, usage drops to between 0-10%.

Is this to be expected? It seems wrong to me considering its just a series of single files being written to the server one by one. What's going to happen when it's serving multiple requests?

Thanks

• Edited by Thebatfink Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:49 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:37 PM

All replies

• Ok, I have now finished transferring all my data and have realised that Windows Search Filter Host is just sitting and hogging approx. 46-50% CPU almost constantly even when the server is sat idle and its not related to writing files to disk (at least I don't think so as its sat at 50% now and I'm not even using the machine except to watch task manager).

What exactly is this process doing? Do I need it? For the most part my server only is a glorified NAS that takes client backups nicely (I've just replaced WHS2011) and I only have the one client connected so far.

• Edited by Thebatfink Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:56 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:55 PM
  • Hi,

Please refer below tread for troubleshooting methods:

SearchFilterHost.exe Process running CPU at 100%  

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/0321bed5-a9ad-49bf-b8e8-5bde8a05753f

Regards,

Yan Li      

Cataleya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:15 AM
  • Hi,

Please refer below tread for troubleshooting methods:

SearchFilterHost.exe Process running CPU at 100%  

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/0321bed5-a9ad-49bf-b8e8-5bde8a05753f

Regards,

Yan Li      

Cataleya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Hi, thanks for the reply. I don't see any troubleshooting ideas in that thread? The only suggestions are to completely disable the service, which I am happy to do as obviously I can't allow 100% CPU usage. But doesn't that defeat the purpose? If I am safe to disable this service, it begs the question - what is it even enabled for in the first place - also it doesn't answer why its so high in this instance.. Something must be wrong as I'm sure it shouldn't be causing me these problems.

Thanks!

• Edited by Thebatfink Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:35 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:34 PM
  • Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I realize on this forum you did not, but was wondering if you found a solution elsewhere? If so, please advise.

Sunday, June 02, 2013 6:01 AM
  • Hi. Not exactly. I reinstalled WHS2011! No doubt it was me that caused the problem but I couldn't get support anywhere so ultimately it had to go.
    Sunday, June 02, 2013 6:23 AM