none
RemoteApp .rdp doesn't work on client, works on server

Question

• Im able to connect to my app thru web access.

Im moving on to creating a .rdp file. 

Its pretty basic stuff, but when it launches on win7 or winxp it shows up like im clicking on a new rdp session, and it sits waiting for the server name. 

It does however work on the server where I created the .rdp file - it fires up and asks for domain credentials and then starts the app.

Any suggestions?

Friday, March 30, 2012 4:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you are using Windows XP & Vista for you client, you should install the RDC 7.0.
    Remote Desktop Connection 7.0
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969084/en-us

Could you provide the detail error information about RemoteApp launch fails in Windows 7 and Windows XP. please also check the event log in the Win 2008 R2 RDS Event Viewer to see if there is any error related to RemoteApp.

Make sure you have turned on CredSSP in your Windows XP.

CredSSP is a new Security Support Provider (SSP) that is available in Windows XP SP3 by using the Security Support Provider Interface (SSPI). CredSSP enables a program to use client-side SSP to delegate user credentials from the client computer to the target server. (The target server is accessed by using server-side SSP). Windows XP SP3 involves only the client-side SSP implementation. The client-side SSP implementation is currently being used by Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) 6.1 Terminal Services (TS). However, the client-side SSP implementation can be used by any third-party program that is willing to use the client-side SSP to interact with programs that are running server-side SSP implementations in Windows Vista or in Windows Server 2008.

How to turn on CredSSP
    1. Fix it for me:
    Hotfix download link : http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9758284
    2. Let me fix it myself:
    Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
    2. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
    3. In the details pane, right-click Security Packages, and then click Modify.
    4. In the Value data box, type tspkg. Leave any data that is specific to other SSPs, and then click OK.
    5. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders
    6. In the details pane, right-click SecurityProviders, and then click Modify.
    7. In the Value data box, type credssp.dll. Leave any data that is specific to other SSPs, and then click OK.
    8. Exit Registry Editor.
    9. Restart the computer.

Please double check the following article for Windows 7 settings.
    Create a Client Configuration File for RemoteApp and Desktop Connection
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee216782.aspx

Access RemoteApp and Desktop Connection by using Windows 7
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee216759.aspx

You can also create a Windows Installer package for users to see if the same issue still exists.

To create a Windows Installer package

1. On the RD Session Host server, open RemoteApp Manager. To open RemoteApp Manager, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, point to Remote Desktop Services, and then click RemoteApp Manager.

2. In the RemoteApp Programs list, click the program that you want to create a Windows Installer package for. To select multiple programs, press and hold the CTRL key when you click each program name.

3. In the Actions pane for the program or selected programs, click Create Windows Installer Package.

4. On the Welcome to the RemoteApp Wizard page, click Next.

5. On the Specify Package Settings page, do the following:

a. In the Enter the location to save the packages box, accept the default location or click Browse to specify a new location to save the Windows Installer package.
    b. In the Remote Desktop Session Host settings area, click Change to modify the server name or the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) port number. When you are finished, click OK.
    c. In the RD Gateway settings area, click Change to modify or to configure whether clients will use an RD Gateway server to connect to the target RD Session Host server across a firewall. (For more information about these settings, see Configure Remote Desktop Gateway Settings.) When you are finished, click OK.
    d. To digitally sign the file, in the Certificate settings area, click Change to select or to change the certificate. (For more information, see About Digitally Signing RemoteApp Programs.) Select the certificate that you want to use, and then click OK.

6. When you are finished, click Next.

7. On the Configure Distribution Package page, do the following:

a. In the Shortcut icons area, specify where the shortcut icon for the program will appear on client computers.
    b. In the Take over client extensions area, configure whether to take over client file name extensions for the program.

If you associate the file name extensions on the client computer with the RemoteApp program, all file name extensions that are handled by the program on the RD Session Host server will also be associated on the client computer with the RemoteApp program. Note that users are not prompted whether the RD Session Host server should take over file extensions for the program.

To view what file name extensions are associated with a program on the RD Session Host server, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Default Programs. Click Associate a file type or protocol with a program to view the file name extensions and their default associated program.

8. After you have configured the properties of the distribution package, click Next.

9. On the Review Settings page, click Finish.
    When the wizard is finished, the folder where the Windows Installer package was saved opens in a new window. You can confirm that the Windows Installer (.msi) package was created.

Hope this helps.

Technology changes life……

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 8:35 AM
  • Solved!

It turns out I should have tested with more systems.

I tested on a stock win7 image and a win xp w/ sp3, and they worked fine.

On my personal win7 system I have the up to date RDP client but it still didn't work.

I suspect its because Im using Remote Desktops for my primary RDP usage and there is a conflict of sorts.

• Marked as answer by HELLPC Monday, April 16, 2012 4:05 PM
    Monday, April 16, 2012 4:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you are using Windows XP & Vista for you client, you should install the RDC 7.0.
    Remote Desktop Connection 7.0
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969084/en-us

Could you provide the detail error information about RemoteApp launch fails in Windows 7 and Windows XP. please also check the event log in the Win 2008 R2 RDS Event Viewer to see if there is any error related to RemoteApp.

Make sure you have turned on CredSSP in your Windows XP.

CredSSP is a new Security Support Provider (SSP) that is available in Windows XP SP3 by using the Security Support Provider Interface (SSPI). CredSSP enables a program to use client-side SSP to delegate user credentials from the client computer to the target server. (The target server is accessed by using server-side SSP). Windows XP SP3 involves only the client-side SSP implementation. The client-side SSP implementation is currently being used by Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) 6.1 Terminal Services (TS). However, the client-side SSP implementation can be used by any third-party program that is willing to use the client-side SSP to interact with programs that are running server-side SSP implementations in Windows Vista or in Windows Server 2008.

How to turn on CredSSP
    1. Fix it for me:
    Hotfix download link : http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9758284
    2. Let me fix it myself:
    Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
    2. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
    3. In the details pane, right-click Security Packages, and then click Modify.
    4. In the Value data box, type tspkg. Leave any data that is specific to other SSPs, and then click OK.
    5. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders
    6. In the details pane, right-click SecurityProviders, and then click Modify.
    7. In the Value data box, type credssp.dll. Leave any data that is specific to other SSPs, and then click OK.
    8. Exit Registry Editor.
    9. Restart the computer.

Please double check the following article for Windows 7 settings.
    Create a Client Configuration File for RemoteApp and Desktop Connection
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee216782.aspx

Access RemoteApp and Desktop Connection by using Windows 7
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee216759.aspx

You can also create a Windows Installer package for users to see if the same issue still exists.

To create a Windows Installer package

1. On the RD Session Host server, open RemoteApp Manager. To open RemoteApp Manager, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, point to Remote Desktop Services, and then click RemoteApp Manager.

2. In the RemoteApp Programs list, click the program that you want to create a Windows Installer package for. To select multiple programs, press and hold the CTRL key when you click each program name.

3. In the Actions pane for the program or selected programs, click Create Windows Installer Package.

4. On the Welcome to the RemoteApp Wizard page, click Next.

5. On the Specify Package Settings page, do the following:

a. In the Enter the location to save the packages box, accept the default location or click Browse to specify a new location to save the Windows Installer package.
    b. In the Remote Desktop Session Host settings area, click Change to modify the server name or the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) port number. When you are finished, click OK.
    c. In the RD Gateway settings area, click Change to modify or to configure whether clients will use an RD Gateway server to connect to the target RD Session Host server across a firewall. (For more information about these settings, see Configure Remote Desktop Gateway Settings.) When you are finished, click OK.
    d. To digitally sign the file, in the Certificate settings area, click Change to select or to change the certificate. (For more information, see About Digitally Signing RemoteApp Programs.) Select the certificate that you want to use, and then click OK.

6. When you are finished, click Next.

7. On the Configure Distribution Package page, do the following:

a. In the Shortcut icons area, specify where the shortcut icon for the program will appear on client computers.
    b. In the Take over client extensions area, configure whether to take over client file name extensions for the program.

If you associate the file name extensions on the client computer with the RemoteApp program, all file name extensions that are handled by the program on the RD Session Host server will also be associated on the client computer with the RemoteApp program. Note that users are not prompted whether the RD Session Host server should take over file extensions for the program.

To view what file name extensions are associated with a program on the RD Session Host server, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Default Programs. Click Associate a file type or protocol with a program to view the file name extensions and their default associated program.

8. After you have configured the properties of the distribution package, click Next.

9. On the Review Settings page, click Finish.
    When the wizard is finished, the folder where the Windows Installer package was saved opens in a new window. You can confirm that the Windows Installer (.msi) package was created.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 8:35 AM
  • Solved!

It turns out I should have tested with more systems.

I tested on a stock win7 image and a win xp w/ sp3, and they worked fine.

On my personal win7 system I have the up to date RDP client but it still didn't work.

I suspect its because Im using Remote Desktops for my primary RDP usage and there is a conflict of sorts.

• Marked as answer by HELLPC Monday, April 16, 2012 4:05 PM
    Monday, April 16, 2012 4:05 PM
  • Thank you for your feedback.

Monday, April 16, 2012 4:12 PM