none
Re-enter your network credentials on a Windows 8 Client

Question

• Windows 8 is telling me that I need to re-enter my network credentials on a Windows 8 client of a Windows Server 2012 essentials server.  I always get the same message, "File History error The device is in use by an active process and cannot be disconnected".  I'm not sure why there is always and active process preventing me from entering my credentials.

Any help will be appreciated.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What's the exact step you are doing which prompt the error message, such as remote to a server, or trying to access a network shared file?

Explanation:
    An application tried to cancel a network connection that was in use by one or more active processes.

User Action:
    Either wait for the process to quit using the connection and retry your operation or, if the user interface enables you to, force the disconnection and retry.

You could check if any error occurs on server side. And if you are not the admin of Windows Server 2012 essential, contact your server admin for further information.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 29, 2013 6:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What's the exact step you are doing which prompt the error message, such as remote to a server, or trying to access a network shared file?

Explanation:
    An application tried to cancel a network connection that was in use by one or more active processes.

User Action:
    Either wait for the process to quit using the connection and retry your operation or, if the user interface enables you to, force the disconnection and retry.

You could check if any error occurs on server side. And if you are not the admin of Windows Server 2012 essential, contact your server admin for further information.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 29, 2013 6:23 AM
  • I have the same issue. All I do is go to the base network location of my server (i.e. \\SERVER\) from any Windows Explorer dialog and log in when prompted. Then I hit "Run Now" on the File History dialog. BINGO.

Unfortunately, I came here to find out WHY Windows 8 keeps asking for my credentials. This happens about every 2 days or so. Very annoying... no solution yet.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:58 PM
  • I'm having the same issue. Windows 8.1 Enterprise preview. Evaluation copy. Build 9431.
    Friday, September 06, 2013 6:29 PM