none
Can WS2012E Backup/Restore Client PCs that Use UEFI/GPT?

Answers

All replies

• We know that WHS 2011 cannot backup/restore client PCs that use UEFI/GPT technology. Has this been fixed in WS2012E?

Thanks.

Although I have not personally tried it, backing up GPT drives should work with 2012 Essentials.
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 4:49 PM
  • You can check this out:

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 07, 2012 8:45 AM
  • Sean, I think that you are illustrating the use of the Server Backup function here. That's not the point - the point is, can WS2012E backup/restore CLIENT PCs that use UEFI/GPT technology?

The Client PC backup engine is very different from the Server Backup engine, and my question is, has the GPT issue been fixed in the Client PC Backup engine?

Friday, September 07, 2012 8:49 AM
  • Yes client backup/restore on WS2012ERC supports UEFI/GPT.

Thanks

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Liming Hong[MSFT] Windows Server Developer

• Marked as answer by Geoffc1 Monday, September 10, 2012 7:57 AM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 6:57 AM
  • Thank you. I suppose there's no chance that this fix can be released for WHS 2011 in an Update Rollup? I'm afraid that the license cost of $501 for WS2012E for home use is way outside of my budget.
    • Edited by Geoffc1 Monday, September 10, 2012 7:56 AM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 7:45 AM
  • I cannot give you confirmed answer for now but this is listed as an early feature candiate for the next Update Rollup of WHS 2011.

Thanks

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Liming Hong [MSFT] Windows Server Developer

Monday, September 10, 2012 8:20 AM
  • Now that would be excellent news - to have support of UEFI/GPT Client PCs in WHS 2011! I really hope that it happens!
    Monday, September 10, 2012 9:08 AM
  • I hope the next Update Rollup of WHS 2011 will be soon. I hate not to be able to backup my computer via WHS.
    Monday, October 01, 2012 2:08 PM
  • If GPT support is being seriously considered, I hope they consider support for dynamic disks on the client as well.
    Tuesday, October 02, 2012 3:36 PM
  • I cannot give you confirmed answer for now but this is listed as an early feature candiate for the next Update Rollup of WHS 2011.

Thanks

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Liming Hong [MSFT] Windows Server Developer

This would be great.  My desktop computer boots insanely fast with Windows 8 and UEFI and $500 is really outside of my budget as well.
    Tuesday, October 02, 2012 5:05 PM
  • Would it be possible to get confirmation from Microsoft if WHS 2011 will receive GPT/UEFI backup capability prior to GA on Server 2012 Essentials?  I have a feeling this will greatly affect many of us WHS users decisions on moving to Essentials or not.  I know I would stick with WHS if it could back up my UEFI machines.

Chad 

Thursday, October 04, 2012 3:16 PM

Thanks

I too have upgraded to Windows 8 not realizing WHS 2011 did not support UEFI. This kind of renders my WHS backup system useless. Please fix this in the next Rollup for your loyal WHS customers.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:53 PM
  • Wow another New Windows 8 laptop users and a flawless WHS 2011 server bitten by the UEFI boot disk!  It's funny, you read that this was pointed out in the WHS 2011 Ver. 1 release, and all I can say, is I never have heard about UEFI/GPT so I never questioned it.  It would of been nice for MS to let everyone know that this is going to be the standard for new PC's and Laptops.  Aren't they really the ones who need this (Not just for pushing a fast boot), but protecting s/w piracy (At least I think that's one of the benefits of UEFI, but I'm probably wrong).  Thanks MS I thought the $50 WHS 2011 would be a great update to my WHS V1, but it was just another way for MS to get some more money out of us!
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:27 PM
  • Wow another New Windows 8 laptop users and a flawless WHS 2011 server bitten by the UEFI boot disk!  It's funny, you read that this was pointed out in the WHS 2011 Ver. 1 release, and all I can say, is I never have heard about UEFI/GPT so I never questioned it.  It would of been nice for MS to let everyone know that this is going to be the standard for new PC's and Laptops.  Aren't they really the ones who need this (Not just for pushing a fast boot), but protecting s/w piracy (At least I think that's one of the benefits of UEFI, but I'm probably wrong).  Thanks MS I thought the $50 WHS 2011 would be a great update to my WHS V1, but it was just another way for MS to get some more money out of us!

Not sure what this has to do with Server 2012 Essentials, but in response to your comment regarding WHS2011 (which incidentally is based on Server 2008 code when UEFI was not generally available), it can back up a computer with UEFI  (rather than a standard BIOS) but only disks formatted with a Master Boot Record (MBR) rather than GPT. Windows 8 takes advantage of GPT/UEFI rather than driving it and before that (e.g. W7), you only needed GPT if you wanted to boot from a disk >2TB.

Technology moves on, particularly in 4 years.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:37 PM
  • I have 5 PCs that I am waiting on upgrading to Windows 8. Since they all backup to WHS 2011, when and if we ever see this in WHS 2011 is the gating factor on my upgrades.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:39 PM
  • I have 5 PCs that I am waiting on upgrading to Windows 8. Since they all backup to WHS 2011, when and if we ever see this in WHS 2011 is the gating factor on my upgrades.

I am confused - why are you waiting (other than the fact that from my perspective W7 is much better than W8)? WHS2011 can back up W8 clients as long as you are not booting from a GPT.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:44 PM

I am confused - why are you waiting (other than the fact that from my perspective W7 is much better than W8)? WHS2011 can back up W7 clients as long as you are not booting from a GPT.

Window 8 boots in 1/2 the time (on my system) when using UEFI versus BIOS.  UEFI requires a GPT partition and makes backing up for a bare metal restore impossible with WHS 2011.

This coupled with not wanting to spend $500 on server essentials 2012 makes waiting to see if whs 2011 will support GPT a valid course of action.  Windows 8 and Macrium Reflect is a nice option as well.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:50 PM
  • Phil, I think the point is that is you buy a new PC/Laptop these days with Windows 8 preinstalled, then the odds are that they will a) be using UEFI and b) have the OS drive formatted as GPT (even if the drive is less than 2TB). So WHS 2011 can't backup/restore these devices.

In fact, I believe (but I could be wrong about this) that Microsoft will expect new PCs to use UEFI/GPT in order to certify them as Windows 8 devices.

So one part of Microsoft drives the rise of UEFI/GPT while another part of Microsoft does not support the use of such devices.

Now, I agree that for those of us upgrading our existing Windows 7 PCs, we are likely to be able to keep our system drives formatted as MBR (as I've done). But if I invest in a new Tablet, I'll bet that I won't be able to use WHS 2011 to back it up.

• Edited by Geoffc1 Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:55 PM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:54 PM
  • The previous poster was talking about upgrading an existing machine which almost certainly does not boot from a GPT disk. It's not UEFI that requires GPT (I have a Motherboard with UEFI (BIOS) which boots from an MBR disk (SSD) that has no problems backing up to WHS2011)!

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:57 PM
  • The previous poster was talking about upgrading an existing machine which almost certainly does not boot from a GPT disk. It's not UEFI that requires GPT (I have a Motherboard with UEFI (BIOS) which boots from an MBR disk (SSD) that has no problems backing up to WHS2011)!

I upgraded / installed windows 8 in UEFI mode, with a GPT partition, to take advantage of the faster boot time and other security improvements it offers.  I can go back to MBR but I would rather not.

Geoff also makes an excellent point.  All OEM windows 8 machines will be booting GPT and not be compatible with WHS 2011 and that is a shame.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Agreed!

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:29 PM
  • Please please please add GPT support to the next WHS2011 update rollup!   Would this also allow for server backup on drives > 2TB too?  With 3TB becoming quite cheap and even 4TB available, WHS2011 major weaknesses are GPT and >2TB HD support
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:15 AM
  • Sorry for posting this on the WS2012E board, but since this appears to be where all the WHS2011 disgruntled Win 8 GPT users are posting, I thought I would post this.  After working a week and 1/2 with the MS Server support team to tell me the new Win 8 laptop I bought has GPT and will not work with WHS2011 backup, I was told the fix would be to 1) wait for WHS 2011 team to make a fix, which is taking a long time due to all the variances of the new windows 8 machines rolling out and no guess when it will happen or 2) reformat my drive to MBR.

So my questions are: 1) Does going from GPT to MBR really going to slow down my boot up?  I'm guessing if I'm asleep (instead of powering the laptop off) all the time, it shouldn't be a big deal for me.  2)  Has anyone even done this GPT->MBR reformat, and reinstall win 8.  My Asus support has given answer on how to save the win 8 image using win 8 back up, and also how to make a restore CD for boot up.  That was it.  So I asked them again on the best way to convert their GPT drive to an MBR, and my second reply said the same as the first, and then the comment move the HDD to another computer and reformat the whole HDD to MBR.  Then try the recovery backup that I made.  Then if I encounter any issues, to fill out the VIP-RMA ticket (I'm guessing they are thinking Christmas right around the corner - so if I kill my laptop I won't need my laptop for a while :-)

Well has anyone did this procedure to make it work with WHS, which I believe is more important to me.  Also will I have issues with all the s/w I have installed with licenses since my DOS ID will probably change?

Thanks,
    Jim

Friday, December 07, 2012 5:08 AM
  • If the comment above is correct that it will be included in the next WHS2011 rollup, you may not have long to wait as there is one due next week (albeit at the moment there is no detail of what it contains). See here:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/5871bbb9-499b-4423-9113-acaf412f457f

Friday, December 07, 2012 4:36 PM
  • The question was will WHS 2011 support, just spent boat loads of time & money setting up this server & with in a year MS expects us to spend another 400$ & upgrade again to get some basic functionality like backing up a 3 TB drive, seriously MS ?
    Tuesday, January 01, 2013 5:26 PM
  • WHS 2011 was released an year ago not 4 years ago so we do expect some support, most of us can't afford to upgrade the server every year.
    Tuesday, January 01, 2013 5:31 PM
  • WHS 2011 was released an year ago not 4 years ago so we do expect some support, most of us can't afford to upgrade the server every year.

WHS 2011 was released on 6th April 2011 (nearly 2 years ago) and is being supported until 2016. No need to replace it yet!

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 7:14 PM
  • I also would like to backup my Win8 machines, since that's all I have now.  Until it's updated, WHS2011 is useless as a backup device and is merely sitting around holding archived data.  I need it to backup new data as well.  Update please.
    Friday, February 08, 2013 7:14 PM
  • Looks like there finally is a hotfix for WHS2011 to support UEFI/GPT clients. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272

Luc.

• Proposed as answer by E Eskam Friday, March 01, 2013 1:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Geoffc1 Friday, March 01, 2013 1:34 PM
    Friday, March 01, 2013 10:05 AM
  • I confirmed that, after applying this hotfix, my WHS 2011 successfully backed up my ASUS Taichi Windows 8 Pro Tablet.  I have not tested the retore function yet.

Friday, March 22, 2013 10:49 PM
  • I can confirm that as well. The hotfix is working fine. It seems that they have fixed some other issues as well.
    Monday, March 25, 2013 12:25 PM
  • Is the new hotfix applied to the server or client (running Windows 8)?  The hotfix is not clear on that point.
    Thursday, January 02, 2014 7:25 PM
  • It's applied to your WHS2011 Server.

Friday, January 03, 2014 2:30 AM
  • Thanks, Phil.  Tried applying the hotfix to the server and it says "the update is not applicable to this computer".  Any ideas?  My desktop calls my 2011 WHS as "2008 R2". Is my version truly not WHS 2011 even though it was sold as 2011?
    Monday, January 06, 2014 4:24 AM
  • Strange. How are you trying to apply the Hotfix? You need to run it on the Server, either locally or via Remote Desktop Connection.

WHS2011 is built on Server 2008 R2 code - what does the Dashboard say the OS is?

Monday, January 06, 2014 5:49 PM
  • I ran it directly on the server where the dashboard identifies it as WHS 2011.  I am baffled too.
    Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:06 AM
  • Strange - what file are you running. I used 459525_intl_x64.zip.exe 167.85MB

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 4:45 PM
  • Hmm.... strange.  My hotfix download came in Windows6.0-KB947821-v32-x64   202.013MB
    Tuesday, January 07, 2014 6:51 PM
  • If that file is KB947821 it is the Windows 7 System Readiness Tool not the UEFI Hotfix.

You need KB2781272. That would explain everything!!!!

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 6:57 PM
  • Got it downloaded now.  I'll install later today.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, January 07, 2014 7:16 PM