none
NLB shared address not showing up in IIS "bind" list of available IP's in Hyper-V

Question

• Hi,
    I seem to have come across something that I cannot resolve with Hyper-V - or something related to it.

I am running Win2k8 64-bit Ent on the host with Hyper-V RTM.
    I have 2 VM's running Win2k8 64-bit Std configured with 2 NICs each.  One nic is the "public" and the other the nic is the "NLB" nic.

Whenever I activate NLB on EITHER nic ("public" or "NLB") and assign a NLB shared IP address (within either VM), the IP address shows up just fine in NIC properties and ipconfig.

BUT - when I go to IIS and look to see if the NLB shared IP address is in the list of available IP's bound to the default site, it does not show up.

I've rebooted the VM, the host, reset IIS, tried creating a new website, redid NLB (at least a dozen times) - even tried using a legacy network adapter.  No luck.  I even went as far as setting static MAC addresses to the nic in the VM Settings that match the MAC address assigned by NLB.  I can ping the shared IP.  So from a network layer, it seems to be working.

I tried to just add a secondary IP address, and it does show up in the "bind" list in IIS.  It just seems that any NLB shared addresses will not show up.  Therefore, I cannot bind the NLB shared address to the website - which was the point of my whole exercise.  Load balance IIS with NLB.  So it does not seem to be working from an application layer.

The last thing I was going to try was to see if I could simulate this same issue with physical boxes - just won't get to it until Monday so thought I'd post something to see if maybe I'm doing something wrong in my VM environment.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    John
    Sunday, July 20, 2008 8:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I did some more work on this problem - and it looks to be an IIS7 or Windows 2008 problem.  Not a hyper-v problem.

I install IIS7 Web Services and Network Load Balancing.  Create a new cluster - and then try and assign the new NLB IP address to IIS, it does not list it in the pull down menu of available IP addresses in Bindings (within IIS mmc).

You can manually type the address - which seems to work - and is a workaround for now.  But I will try and post a notice on the correct forum so hopefully MS can fix this little confusing problem.

It isn't "broken" - but it can be confusing since the NLB IP address is not available in the pull down menu within IIS.  Yet - if I add a second static IP address to a NIC, this new IP address is in the pulldown menu - but never the NLB address.

I'm running a few Win2k3 IIS6 NLB web farms and do not have this issue with them.  Again - I wouldn't call it "broken" - just an annoyance...

Thanks - and you can consider this closed.
    • Marked as answer by SCV1991 Monday, July 21, 2008 7:00 PM
    Monday, July 21, 2008 7:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I did some more work on this problem - and it looks to be an IIS7 or Windows 2008 problem.  Not a hyper-v problem.

I install IIS7 Web Services and Network Load Balancing.  Create a new cluster - and then try and assign the new NLB IP address to IIS, it does not list it in the pull down menu of available IP addresses in Bindings (within IIS mmc).

You can manually type the address - which seems to work - and is a workaround for now.  But I will try and post a notice on the correct forum so hopefully MS can fix this little confusing problem.

It isn't "broken" - but it can be confusing since the NLB IP address is not available in the pull down menu within IIS.  Yet - if I add a second static IP address to a NIC, this new IP address is in the pulldown menu - but never the NLB address.

I'm running a few Win2k3 IIS6 NLB web farms and do not have this issue with them.  Again - I wouldn't call it "broken" - just an annoyance...

Thanks - and you can consider this closed.
    • Marked as answer by SCV1991 Monday, July 21, 2008 7:00 PM
    Monday, July 21, 2008 7:00 PM
  • hi,

we have two web servers, each one has the same contents and services (IIS and  MS-SQL), now we want to deploy them in HA mode. i read about NLB and I thing its the best way to achieve this purpose, we are planning to setup the following scenario:

Node1 and node2 are windows 2008 64 standard edition servers

both nodes have Two NIC's : nlb nic and public nic

we have made new cluster and we added node1 and node2 to this cluster and we choose the NLB NIC IP to be the dedicated ip and we use unicast and set the filtering to single (because we dont want to use load balance, we want only active/passive) and we added the Virtual IP as second ip on both nlb nic's on node1 and node2 and we enabled the ip forwarding for nlb nic's,

the Virtual IP is Real IP and it has dns record (it was the ip used to access our web from the public,the Virtual ip refers to  www.xxxx.com)

is the above configuration is correct? should we have to make any settings on the IIS?

thanks for your help

Monday, June 21, 2010 6:58 AM