Outlook 2007: Cached Exchange Mode is this possible on 08R2 RDS?

Question

• Is it possible to deploy Outlook 2007 connecting to exchange 2007 with Cached Exchange Mode on 2008 R2 Terminal Server?

regards

Roga
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:39 PM

All replies

• Is the setting greyed out on the client?

Have you tried enabling the setting in the GPO?

do you use a MST file for outlook settings or another software?
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Hi!

Yes it is possible. BUT: Why do you want to do this? Usually the bandwith between a TS and the Exchange machine is quite good so using cached mode doesn't give you much advantage. On the other hand you fill your TS hard disk with big ost files...

As kmoran said: Have a look at your GPO settings. You can define nearly all the Outlook settings in there.

kr,
    Andreas
    • Proposed as answer by ND82 Tuesday, February 09, 2010 6:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lionel Chen - MSFT Tuesday, February 09, 2010 10:39 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by rogajones Thursday, April 08, 2010 9:46 AM
    Friday, February 05, 2010 6:37 AM
  • The reason we want cached mode is that we are considering hosted exchange.

I tried the gpo settings and created a new outlook profile, it made no difference

It looks to me like RDS diables this mode by default.

If any of you guys who have given me advice can try it out empirically and get it working, please let me know

BTW it looks like it is enabled for OL 2010

R

Thursday, April 08, 2010 9:45 AM
  • Looking to do this as well.

Always get the same response from people -- "Why in the world would you want to do this??"

My answer -- search.  If you've got an OST, instant search in Outlook is...well...instant.  Users have come to expect it on their desktops. 

With as cheap as server RAM and disk space has become, why not make the option available? Or more to the point, *is* cached mode available using 08R2 w/ OL '07 or '10?  Haven't made the plunge yet...

Saturday, May 15, 2010 12:36 AM
  • When Outlook detects that it is running under Terminal Services / Remote Desktop Services it disables cached-mode.

In a Terminal Server environment, more than one server is usually implemented to ensure redundancy. However this means that when users log onto the remote desktop, there is no guarantee that they will log back onto the same server they were previously connected to. Additionally, copies of users profiles are usually deleted with the user logs off from the remote desktop.

If you were to enable cached-mode under Terminal Services, then Outlook would need to download the users full mailbox at each logon and then perform a complete re-index. For those users with large mailboxes, this would be a time consuming and poor performing solution.

I can only recommend doing some research into how to provide users with a similar experience when Outlook is online mode. For example, Exchange 2007 and 2010 should provide search services to allow users to search their mailboxes (although not instantly).

Saturday, May 15, 2010 10:43 PM
  • we face the same issue : windows 2003 Terminal Server with an external Exchange solution that need to be cached.  user have thin client (no hard drive...) and log directly to the Terminal server box (only one TS box).  We were using PST file under the TS so no difference with OST (only one download and some sync, if needed).

Anyway, I am very disapointed that Microsoft do not let us do it, with all the warning needed.  We are able to make decision about performance ourselves. 

Simonlabdes

Tuesday, June 01, 2010 7:48 PM