none
nslookup "Server failed" error

Question

• Hi,

We have a problem with our Windows Server 2008 R2 DNS servers resolving some domains. When I perform an nslookup on these domains they are returning a "Server failed" error message. After some searching I identified the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;968372

To me, this seemed to be the issue so I implemented the work around described. We were experiencing no problems for a few weeks before the issue recurred. I verified the registry values were still in place, and have been clearing the cache on the DNS servers which has been working. However recently we've had reports of a domain that cannot be resolved. I have cleared the DNS cache and even restarted the DNS servers and the domain is still returning a "server failed" error in nslookup.

Besides implementing forwarders, is there anything else I can do? Perhaps raise the MaxCacheTTL value from 2 days to something else?

Daniel.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:16 AM

Answers

• The bizzare thing about these results, is if I run the commands again say..2 mins later on our DC's, the result is 490 instead of 3843. Run it again 5 mins later, it's back to 3843. The third server 4.2.2.2 returns a consistent result.

Thank you.

It appears your firewall supports EDNS0.

There's quite a bit of info below. Post back if you have any questions.

Look below at the query and bolded numbers. The numbers are the TTL (Time To Live) of the records. Notice how the CNAME has a 600 second TTL (10 min) while the A records it points to is only 20 seconds?

============================================
    ; <<>> DiG 9.8.0 <<>> @4.2.2.2 www.careerone.com.au
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 14035
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;www.careerone.com.au.          IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    www.careerone.com.au.   600     IN      CNAME   www.careerone.com.au.edgesuite.net.
    www.careerone.com.au.edgesuite.net. 21600 IN CNAME a903.g.akamai.net.
    a903.g.akamai.net.      20      IN      A       72.247.242.9
    a903.g.akamai.net.      20      IN      A       72.247.242.35

;; Query time: 114 msec
    ;; SERVER: 4.2.2.2#53(4.2.2.2)
    ;; WHEN: Tue Jul 31 01:42:55 2012
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 146

Recommendations:

Based on the info above, I'm starting to now think it's a cache issue with 2008 R2. This is a known issue when the CNAME TTL longer than the A record's TTL, 2008 R2 is unable to cache the A record properly.

Here's a hotfix that should address the CNAME vs A record TTL issue. If you install it, please post back with your results.

DNS Server service does not use root hints to resolve external names in Windows Server 2008 R2 - HOTFIX available.
    Article ID: 2616776 - Last Review: October 12, 2011, APPLIES TO •Windows 2008 R2 Datacenter •Windows 2008 R2 Ent •Windows 2008 R2 Std
    "Consider the following scenario:
    •You install the Domain Name System (DNS) Server role on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2.
    •You configure the DNS server to use root hints to resolve external names.
    In this scenario, the DNS server does not use root hints to resolve external names and causes name resolution issues.
    This issue occurs because the DNS Server service in Windows Server 2008 R2 does not allow CNAME records and NS records to coexist. When the DNS Server service receives a response that has two kinds of records, it ignores the CNAME record.
    In lieu of installing the HOTFIX: "To work around the issue, configure the DNS server to use forwarders instead of root hints to resolve external names."
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2616776

If management is against hotfixes:

Your only other option is to use Forwarders. As you see, 4.2.2.2 is reliable. Whatever forwarder you use, make sure it supports EDNS0 and recursion.

• For EDNS0 test, use the test above as you did with 4.2.2.2.
    • For recursion test, run:
      c:\>nslookup
      > server 4.2.2.2
      > set d2

Look run below at an example for that website. I bolded what to look for. In the "Got Answer" section, you are looking for :
    header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
    If you don't see that, then the forwarder you chose won't work for outside queries.

> server 4.2.2.2
    Default Server:  b.resolvers.Level3.net
    Address:  4.2.2.2

> set d2
    > www.careerone.com.au
    Server:  b.resolvers.Level3.net

------------
    SendRequest(), len 38
        HEADER:
            opcode = QUERY, id = 3, rcode = NOERROR
            header flags:  query, want recursion
            questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
            www.careerone.com.au, type = A, class = IN

------------
    ------------
    Got answer (146 bytes):
        HEADER:
            questions = 1,  answers = 4,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008/R2, Exchange 2007 & Exchange 2010, Exchange 2010 EA, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Complete List of Technical Blogs: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/technicalblogs.php

This post is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:00 AM

All replies

• i guess there some service is stopped working, or add dns suffix , or those domains are pointed appropriately ?

Bro can u go the sytem event log , and check the error message , note down the id along with the Details error messaage or go to server options , if u notice any Yellow icon with warning symbol capture it and post the error message then we start explore the Why DNS Query fails ! 

Face the fact tat we all have plenty to learn about this field. Deal wit the failures, use tem as motivation, learn something new everyday. Claiming false credentials & phantom skillsets will not get you far, especially when 63248651487512645876531864 people in the universe know how 2 use the internet

Thursday, July 26, 2012 7:40 AM
  • Hello,

please check with Ace Fekay's article about EDNS0 http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2010/10/11/edns0-extension-mechanisms-for-dns.aspx

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 7:54 AM
  • Hi,

We have a problem with our Windows Server 2008 R2 DNS servers resolving some domains. When I perform an nslookup on these domains they are returning a "Server failed" error message. After some searching I identified the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;968372

To me, this seemed to be the issue so I implemented the work around described. We were experiencing no problems for a few weeks before the issue recurred. I verified the registry values were still in place, and have been clearing the cache on the DNS servers which has been working. However recently we've had reports of a domain that cannot be resolved. I have cleared the DNS cache and even restarted the DNS servers and the domain is still returning a "server failed" error in nslookup.

Besides implementing forwarders, is there anything else I can do? Perhaps raise the MaxCacheTTL value from 2 days to something else?

Daniel.

I agree with Meinolf. I believe your router/firewall does not support EDNS0. Meinolf posted a link to what it's all about.

For starters, let's see the results of the following command (post the results, please):
    nslookup -type=TXT rs.dns-oarc.net

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008/R2, Exchange 2007 & Exchange 2010, Exchange 2010 EA, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Complete List of Technical Blogs: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/technicalblogs.php

This post is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:15 AM
  • Sorry for the delayed response...

I'm getting mixed results when I run that command. It's alternating between:

DNS reply size limit is at least 3843

and

DNS reply size limit is at least 490

So I'm unsure if there's a problem or not. Is the easiest solution going to be to forward to our isp's DNS servers?

Monday, July 30, 2012 10:35 PM
  • Mixed results? That may explain thr inconsistencies you're seeing.

Let's see an unedited ipconfig /all.

And yes, a forwarder to a  reliable DNS server, will overcome limitations. 

Ace Fekay

Monday, July 30, 2012 10:44 PM
  • As requested, the results of an ipconfig /all. I have modified the server name and domain for privacy reasons. The rest is accurate. Additionally I'll note that in addition to being a DNS server, this box is also a DC and WINS server.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : server01
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : domain.blah.com
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain.blah.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : domain.blah.com
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom BCM5709C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) #40
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D4-BE-C9-AB-4C-4B
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.20(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.0.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.22
       Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.22
       Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 10.1.1.20
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.domain.blah.com:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : domain.blah.com
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:09 AM
  • Thank you. I assume this is the 2008 R2 DC?

Based on the original post, you seemed to imply there's only one DC, and what I assumed.  What's the other DC OS using 10.1.1.22?

If you ran nslookup on the 2008 R2 DC, then it used 10.1.1.22, not the R2 DC, assuming the other DC is not R2, because that's the first DNS entry in the NIC on this DC, so it never used this DC. Nslookup will only use the first entry and will not look for others unless you manually switch it in nslookup.  

Let's do this to narrow it down:

First:

To get a better handle on what's going on, please re-run nslookup, but this time let's do it the following way, and run it for 10.1.1.20, 10.1.1.22, and 4.2.2.2.

> server 4.2.2.2    <---- for each run, change the IP
    > set q=txt
    > rs.dns-oarc.net

Second:

Then once done, configure a forwarder to 4.2.2.2 on both DCs, then re-run the command and post them, too, please. So you will be posting 6 results. Please mark the three without the forwarder, and the three with the forwarder, so we know which is which.

Third:

Please post an example of a domain/website that you're seeing the problem with. I want to DIG it to see if there's a CNAME issue involved

Sorry for all the questions. I only thought you had one DC, but saw that it's using the other as the first entry. The results will help narrow it down, as well as a DIG to either determine or eliminate if the problem is something else such as a CNAME issue.

Ace Fekay

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:24 AM
  •    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.22
       Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 10.1.1.20

Oh, btw - this is an incorrect WINS configuration for a WINS server.

Whenever you are using WINS and the server itself is a WINS server, you can ONLY point to itself for WINS. Otherwise, except WINS record ownership skew, which will cause replication problems between the two WINS servers. So for example, the ipconfig you posted shows the other WINS server as the first entry. This will definitely cause problems with WINS. It should only have itself. Same with the other DC, it should only have itself.

Any other non-WINS server or workstation, can be configured for both, but a WINS server.

More specifics:

WINS - What Is It, How To Install It, WINS Replication Partner Design Guidelines, How to Configure DHCP Scopes For WINS Client Distribution, and more:
    Published by acefekay on Oct 27, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2010/10/27/wins-what-is-it-how-to-install-it-and-how-to-configure-dhcp-scopes-for-wins-client-distribution.aspx

On the WINS server itself, go to IP properties, Advanced, WINS tab, ONLY point the WINS address of itself to itself ONLY. Do not add any other WINS addresses. If not sure how, follow this article:
    WINS Best Practices (Use ONLY itself in ip properties):
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/ed9beba0-f998-47d2-8137-a2fc52886ed71033.mspx

Ace Fekay

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:30 AM
  • I'll have to seek approval to add forwarders to the DNS servers out of hours. In the meantime, the domain we're having issue with is www.careerone.com.au.

I'll get back to with the results of the tests once I get approval.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:40 AM
  • Thanks for this advice; much appreciated. I'll follow up with the appropriate administrator.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:41 AM
  • I'll have to seek approval to add forwarders to the DNS servers out of hours. In the meantime, the domain we're having issue with is www.careerone.com.au.

I'll get back to with the results of the tests once I get approval.

Then just run the three runs without the forwarder.

And btw - if it is definitely an EDNS0 issue with the firewall, there are two courses of action to resolve it that you can bring to the table to your administrator or IT manager:

1. Use a forwarder. This will overcome the firewall limitation because the request is sent out as a recursive query to an outside DNS, and not an interative query that querying the Roots use.
    2. Upgrade or configure the firewall to support EDNS0. If it's a Cisco device, it's a simple command. If another vendor, consult the docs.

Ace Fekay

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:46 AM
  • Thanks for this advice; much appreciated. I'll follow up with the appropriate administrator.

You are welcome. If your administrators need additional information for EDNS0, firewall support, WINS, or anything else, please post their request.

If there are any concerns from your administrators or IT manager, CIO, etc, from receiving and following through with suggested assistance from the Technet forums, then you have one more option, which is to contact Microsoft Support. Here's the link with the phone numbers to get you started if your administrators choose this option. If you call, reference this thread in the ticket so they can see what's transpired.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS 

Ace Fekay

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:49 AM
  • You were correct, two DCs running Windows Server 2008 R2.

Here are the results. I have modified our IP, nothing more:

Server:  server01.domain.blah.com
    Address:  10.1.1.20

Non-authoritative answer:
    rs.dns-oarc.net canonical name = rst.x3827.rs.dns-oarc.net
    rst.x3827.rs.dns-oarc.net       canonical name = rst.x3837.x3827.rs.dns-oarc.net

rst.x3837.x3827.rs.dns-oarc.net canonical name = rst.x3843.x3837.x3827.rs.dns-oa
    rc.net
    rst.x3843.x3837.x3827.rs.dns-oarc.net   text =

"201.30.94.20 sent EDNS buffer size 4000"

"Tested at 2012-07-31 01:05:54 UTC"

"201.30.94.20 DNS reply size limit is at least 3843"

Server:  server02.domain.blah.com
    Address:  10.1.1.22

rst.x3827.rs.dns-oarc.net       canonical name = rst.x3837.x3827.rs.dns-oarc.net

rst.x3837.x3827.rs.dns-oarc.net canonical name = rst.x3843.x3837.x3827.rs.dns-oa
    rc.net

"201.30.94.20 DNS reply size limit is at least 3843"

"201.30.94.20 sent EDNS buffer size 4000"

"Tested at 2012-07-31 01:06:45 UTC"

Server:  b.resolvers.level3.net

rc.net

"Tested at 2012-07-31 01:07:19 UTC"

"192.221.162.89 sent EDNS buffer size 4096"

"192.221.162.89 DNS reply size limit is at least 3843"

The bizzare thing about these results, is if I run the commands again say..2 mins later on our DC's, the result is 490 instead of 3843. Run it again 5 mins later, it's back to 3843. The third server 4.2.2.2 returns a consistent result.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 3:53 AM
  • The bizzare thing about these results, is if I run the commands again say..2 mins later on our DC's, the result is 490 instead of 3843. Run it again 5 mins later, it's back to 3843. The third server 4.2.2.2 returns a consistent result.

Thank you.

It appears your firewall supports EDNS0.

There's quite a bit of info below. Post back if you have any questions.

Look below at the query and bolded numbers. The numbers are the TTL (Time To Live) of the records. Notice how the CNAME has a 600 second TTL (10 min) while the A records it points to is only 20 seconds?

; <<>> DiG 9.8.0 <<>> @4.2.2.2 www.careerone.com.au
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 14035
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;www.careerone.com.au.          IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    www.careerone.com.au.   600     IN      CNAME   www.careerone.com.au.edgesuite.net.
    www.careerone.com.au.edgesuite.net. 21600 IN CNAME a903.g.akamai.net.
    a903.g.akamai.net.      20      IN      A       72.247.242.9
    a903.g.akamai.net.      20      IN      A       72.247.242.35

;; Query time: 114 msec
    ;; SERVER: 4.2.2.2#53(4.2.2.2)
    ;; WHEN: Tue Jul 31 01:42:55 2012
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 146

Recommendations:

Based on the info above, I'm starting to now think it's a cache issue with 2008 R2. This is a known issue when the CNAME TTL longer than the A record's TTL, 2008 R2 is unable to cache the A record properly.

Here's a hotfix that should address the CNAME vs A record TTL issue. If you install it, please post back with your results.

DNS Server service does not use root hints to resolve external names in Windows Server 2008 R2 - HOTFIX available.
    Article ID: 2616776 - Last Review: October 12, 2011, APPLIES TO •Windows 2008 R2 Datacenter •Windows 2008 R2 Ent •Windows 2008 R2 Std
    "Consider the following scenario:
    •You install the Domain Name System (DNS) Server role on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2.
    •You configure the DNS server to use root hints to resolve external names.
    In this scenario, the DNS server does not use root hints to resolve external names and causes name resolution issues.
    This issue occurs because the DNS Server service in Windows Server 2008 R2 does not allow CNAME records and NS records to coexist. When the DNS Server service receives a response that has two kinds of records, it ignores the CNAME record.
    In lieu of installing the HOTFIX: "To work around the issue, configure the DNS server to use forwarders instead of root hints to resolve external names."
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2616776

If management is against hotfixes:

Your only other option is to use Forwarders. As you see, 4.2.2.2 is reliable. Whatever forwarder you use, make sure it supports EDNS0 and recursion.

• For EDNS0 test, use the test above as you did with 4.2.2.2.
    • For recursion test, run:
      > server 4.2.2.2
      > set d2

Look run below at an example for that website. I bolded what to look for. In the "Got Answer" section, you are looking for :
    If you don't see that, then the forwarder you chose won't work for outside queries.

> server 4.2.2.2
    Default Server:  b.resolvers.Level3.net

> set d2
    > www.careerone.com.au
    Server:  b.resolvers.Level3.net

------------
    SendRequest(), len 38
        HEADER:
            header flags:  query, want recursion
            questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
            www.careerone.com.au, type = A, class = IN

------------
    ------------
    Got answer (146 bytes):
        HEADER:
            questions = 1,  answers = 4,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

Ace Fekay

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:00 AM
  • Just an update - last night I applied the hotfix to our secondary DNS server and after rebooting was successfully able to perform a lookup of www.careerone.com.au. I will be applying the hotfix to our primary DNS server tonight.

If everything is still fine in a week's time, I'll mark this as answered.

I appreciate your help.

Thursday, August 02, 2012 12:35 AM
  • Just an update - last night I applied the hotfix to our secondary DNS server and after rebooting was successfully able to perform a lookup of www.careerone.com.au. I will be applying the hotfix to our primary DNS server tonight.

If everything is still fine in a week's time, I'll mark this as answered.

I appreciate your help.

You are welcome! I have confidence it took care of the problem.

Looking forward to your update.

Ace Fekay

Thursday, August 02, 2012 3:01 AM