none
Soon to run Windows Server overhaul upgrade for our small business

Question

• 

So I am currently running a Dell Poweredge 2900 on Windows Server 2003. I know it is old but it is what we have. It has a E5310 @ 1.6 GHz with 4 gigs of RAM. Pretty pathetic by 5 years ago standards...

Also I have a nice Cyberpower on Windows 7 we just purchased running a 1 T set up on raid, with a great i7 chip and 16 gigs 1600 RAM. We use it solely for a finance tool and one database. Not really getting the bang for our buck on that desktop.

I'm thinking about upgrading both of them on Windows Server 2008 3 Enterprise or Standard. the Poweredge won't be able to support 2012..

I am wondering if I can cleanly run the Cyberpower on Windows Server 2008. Does it matter that it doesn't have a special server chip or dual power supplies and more along those lines?

Is it even worth continuing using the Poweredge 2900 with its current specs? It is quite old and doesn't even do a fantastic job of just file sharing

My end goal is to have everything running on a Active Directory. I was thinking of making each of these 2 computers a domain controller in case the Dell ever crashed on me. Is it possible to make one of our normal client computers a 2nd domain controller?

Should we just drop the cash on a new server? I'd probably like to build it myself is there any down side to this?

I am new to the server/networking world. Apologize for any noob questions. Answers to any of my questions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Here's the minimum requirements. In the case of the desktop machine check with the manufacturer about driver availablity.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb414778.aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:15 PM
  • Thanks for the link. I see the recommend 2 GHz is above what the Poweredge has so I may just scrap it all together and start using the Cyber Power as my Server.

I am still confused about the active directory. I understand if the computer were to fail i would not be able to gain access to my client computers. So the solution is to make another computer the 2nd Active domain. Could one of the client computers hold the 2nd domain controller, or would it have to be another computer?

Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:22 PM
  • If it supports the operating system and drivers available then it technically could become a second dc.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:54 PM
  • Does the computer have to be running windows server to be the second domain controller?
    Friday, March 08, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Yes

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, March 08, 2013 4:33 PM