MMC could not create snap-in

Question

• Hi! no Windows 2008 Enterprise I have the following problem: when I try to get to "Server Management" I receive error: "MMC could not create the snap-in". I tried re-install .NT Framework 3.5, but problem still remains.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 12:19 PM

Answers

• An installed application might alter the mmc.exe.config file to force MMC to start utilizing .Net .  Just rename the mmc.exe.config file located in windows\system32.

or

To make it sure you can also remove the .net and check.

Thanks

Syed Khairuddin
    • Marked as answer by Elisa Willman Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:36 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:16 AM
  • Hey Kzajac,

You can also check the ServerManager.log files located at C:\Systemroot\Logs

I also recommend installing the System Update Readiness Tool for Server 2008.  Attached is the link.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/en-us

Once installed, check the following path for the log files which may contain information regarding the issues you are experiencing.

Logging

The System Update Readiness Tool creates a log file that captures any issues that the tool found or fixed. The log file is located at the following location:
    • %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
    • %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

Thank you,

Aaron Griffin

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:47 PM

All replies

• Never it happen like that . .

Kannan
    Monday, April 13, 2009 12:21 PM
  • Never it happen like that . .

Kannan
    if you don't believe me I can send you prinstscreen.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 1:19 PM
  • ya sure send me your screen shot i will rectify ur errors
    Kannan
    Monday, April 13, 2009 1:26 PM
  • Hello Kzajac,

I had experienced this same issue after updating my server with .net framework 3.5.  I simply ensured that my updates were completely done and successful.  Attempt to user the "servermanagercmd".  Are you still recieving an error.  Besure to run this command elevated.  Restart you Server and attempt to access the Server Manager after restarting your server.  If this server is in production, please use your best judgement, on when would be a good time to restart you server.

-Aaron Griffin
    Monday, April 13, 2009 2:56 PM
  • when I attempt command "ervermanagercmd" as Administrator I recieve "CLR error 80004005".
    Monday, April 13, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Kzajac,

Are you able to open any .mmc file?  Please verify that in the Windows\System32 Directory, there should be a .exe file  named "CompMgmtLauncher"  This is the file that iniate Server Manager.  Can you please verify that this file is listed?  If so, please attempt to run this .exe as the administrator.  In addition, attempt to access the Windows Features from the Control Panel and Programs and Features.  If you are still unable to access the Windows Features, please simply attempt to uninstall Microsoft .net Framework and then attempt to access your Server Manager.

Thank you,

Aaron Griffin

Monday, April 13, 2009 7:31 PM
  • An installed application might alter the mmc.exe.config file to force MMC to start utilizing .Net .  Just rename the mmc.exe.config file located in windows\system32.

or

To make it sure you can also remove the .net and check.

Thanks

Syed Khairuddin
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:16 AM
  • Hey Kzajac,

You can also check the ServerManager.log files located at C:\Systemroot\Logs

I also recommend installing the System Update Readiness Tool for Server 2008.  Attached is the link.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/en-us

Once installed, check the following path for the log files which may contain information regarding the issues you are experiencing.

Logging

The System Update Readiness Tool creates a log file that captures any issues that the tool found or fixed. The log file is located at the following location:
    • %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
    • %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

Thank you,

Aaron Griffin

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Same here, but I was running windows update.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 8:42 AM