none
Windows Defender won't start - Windows 8

Question

• I recently upgraded to a windows 8 computer and so far it was nice. But for some reason Windows Defender won't open. I uninstalled Norton because it is too much of a hassle and when I tried to open Windows Defender a message box pops up and says "Windows Defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer." I looked online and found no help. I tried running it as an administrator and the same message pops up. I have already cleared the registry for all Norton stuff and it still won't work. I have gone through the Action Center and I press the "turn on now" button for both firewall and spyware, and nothing happens. It just sits there. I have also tried going trough the Services manager thing, set Windows Defender to automatic, restarted, and it still didn't work. I tried starting Windows Defender through the Services thingy and a message popped up saying (paraphrasing here) "Windows Defender couldn't start because it isn't being used with anything else" (or something similar to that message). I just restarted my computer again and now, I can't find Windows Defender in the Services section. I just set Windows Defender to automatic and restarted and it isn't there any more. Please help!
    Saturday, February 09, 2013 6:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'd ask them over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, February 09, 2013 10:25 PM
  • I was able to finally turn it back on by going through the Action Center under Security.
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:02 PM
  • Were you ever able to find a solution to this problem? I'm experiencing the same issue right now.
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 9:47 PM
  • I recently upgraded to a windows 8 computer and so far it was nice. But for some reason Windows Defender won't open. I uninstalled Norton because it is too much of a hassle and when I tried to open Windows Defender a message box pops up and says "Windows Defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer." I looked online and found no help. I tried running it as an administrator and the same message pops up. I have already cleared the registry for all Norton stuff and it still won't work. I have gone through the Action Center and I press the "turn on now" button for both firewall and spyware, and nothing happens. It just sits there. I have also tried going trough the Services manager thing, set Windows Defender to automatic, restarted, and it still didn't work. I tried starting Windows Defender through the Services thingy and a message popped up saying (paraphrasing here) "Windows Defender couldn't start because it isn't being used with anything else" (or something similar to that message). I just restarted my computer again and now, I can't find Windows Defender in the Services section. I just set Windows Defender to automatic and restarted and it isn't there any more. Please help! I've got the same problem word for word. I hate windows 8 and now Norton.
    Monday, September 16, 2013 1:05 PM
  • This solution simply doesn't work for the above mentioned problem. I have the exact same problems and even under administrator control, none of the recommended solutions work. I had this same set of problems the last time Norton ran out, I deleted the Norton programming and then attempted to turn on defender, with three days my computer (new) crashed completely and I had to reload Windows 8. Now Im at the same point. This is ridiculous.

Monday, September 16, 2013 1:17 PM