none
Client DNS Issues

Question

• HI Al,

I got Main Site and 4 branch sites. This morning My main DC reboot after automatic updates. Main site got 3 DNS Servers and  each site got DNS and all are GC servers.

If main DC, DNS not functioning why not the other DNS not actioned?

can not ping the servers from any branch office.  After restarting the DNS everything comes to live?

Each DC is set their IP for Primay and secondry for second DNS server.

Event Errors: 4013

The DNS server is waiting for Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) to
    signal that the initial synchronization of the directory has been completed.
    The DNS server service cannot start until the initial synchronization is
    complete because critical DNS data might not yet be replicated onto this
    domain controller. If events in the AD DS event log indicate that there is a
    problem with DNS name resolution, consider adding the IP address of another
    DNS server for this domain to the DNS server list in the Internet Protocol
    properties of this computer. This event will be logged every two minutes
    until AD DS has signaled that the initial synchronization has successfully
    completed.

Run the DNS BPA and found followings

Issue:
    The root hint server 2001:503:ba3e::2:30 is not responding.

Impact:
    The DNS server might be unable to resolve external host names.

Resolution:
    Validate network connectivity to root hint servers. Remove 2001:503:ba3e::2:30 from the list if it is unresponsive.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Are all of them are AD inegrated DNS? To have the other DNS servers to respond,client computers have to set their IP as secondary DNS server in their TCP/IP properties.Can you post the ipconfig/all from all your DC's.If you're not able to ping from Branch office then that could be a network issue..

Regards, Mohan R Sr. Administrator - Server Support

Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:55 AM
  • Hello,

are the domain machines configured to use multiple domain DNS servers on the NIC? And have you assured that no other DNS server, like the ISPs one, are used on the NIC?

Do you use IPv6 as only on the machines, as the error shows the IPv6 address?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:02 AM
  • First question as Meinolf asked, did you specify the dns server apart from the one being down in the NIC of the domain joined machine or DC, if not then they would not find the another DC or DNS server in the domain. Also, do client in one site can reach to the DC or DNS in the other site. The server can be hanged or client side resolve cache is corrupted.

Troubleshooting DNS Event ID 4013: The DNS server was unable to load AD integrated DNS zones  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2001093

How to Disable Client-Side DNS Caching in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318803

Awinish Vishwakarma - MVP - Directory Services

My Blog: awinish.wordpress.com

Disclaimer This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:40 AM
  • HI All,

All 5 DC's IP set like this.

DC1     IP: 192.168.1.1 ,               DNS P: 192.168.1.1 ,               DNS S: 192.168.2.1  ( DNS ISsues- Server)

DC2     IP: 192.168.2.1 ,               DNS P: 192.168.2.1,               DNS S: 192.168.1.1 

DC3    IP: 192.168.3.1 ,               DNS P: 192.168.3.1 ,               DNS S: 192.168.1.1 

DC4     IP: 192.168.4.1 ,               DNS P: 192.168.4.1,               DNS S: 192.168.1.1     I can pind and rdp to all servers vis IP. But cannot ping by name from any of the dc's?   after restart the DNS and 30 mints all works as normal?  DC1 is the PDC. 

Monday, June 18, 2012 12:36 AM
  • Hello,

accoring to the shown output DNS should work. Please post an unedited ipconfig /all as already requeste before from each DC including a domain client, so we can verify some additional settings. Also you didn;t answer the question about multihomed DCs.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, June 18, 2012 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:09 AM