none
DPM Backup of System State failed

Question

• When trying to run a backup of the system states of our various servers one fails with the following error:

DPM failed to create the system state backup. If you are trying to create the system state of a Windows 2008 Server operating system, verify that the Windows Server Backup (WSB) is installed, and that there is enough free disk space on the protected server to store the system state. (ID 30214 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FB)

WSB is installed, and there is plenty of free space.  On the server in question we get the follwing message in the event log:

Backup attempted at '30/04/2009 11:32:16' failed to start, error code '2155413760'

If I do a backup in WSB on the server it appears to run fine for the system drive, but i don't know if that include the system state.

Also, if I use DPM to backup anything else on the server it runs fine.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:43 AM

Answers

• Hello Xiano,
       I hope that based upon our communication over email, the issue is resolved now. The problem was with the "watch guard" service who was reporting its files for backup to the "System Writer" that contained an invalid path. The file spec contained "\..\" in the path that is not supported. Uninstalling the service solved the problem.

Thanks
    Bikash Agrawala [MSFT]

Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Xiano

Could you please share details as to which location you are trying to backup to ?
    It seems that you are trying to backup to a critical volume.

Also could you try backing up to a separate volume and see if this solves the problem.

Thanks
    Suhas Rao
    • Proposed as answer by WChavez16 Monday, March 24, 2014 8:19 PM
    Friday, May 01, 2009 1:32 PM
  • I am backing up to tape not disk.

I am selecting the system state for the particular server within the protection group settings on DPM.

It works correctly for the other 5 servers system states in the protection group.
    Friday, May 01, 2009 1:59 PM
  • Hello Xiano,
       DPM uses inbox Windows Server Backup(WSB) to protect System State and WSB uses local disk to write the backup.
       DPM then writes the backup from the disk to the tape. DPM by default selects the disk that has the maximum free
       space available. In this case it looks like the disk selected is a critical volume. DPM sets a registry key "AllowSSBToAnyVolume"
       under "SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\wbengine\\SystemStateBackup" to allow System State Backup to happen even on
       a critical volume. Can you please check the value of this key in the registry for the server in question.

Thanks
    Bikash
    Monday, May 04, 2009 6:58 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Bikash.

I cannot find that registry key at all.  Interestingly, there are no folders beneath wbengine in the registry.

How does DPM specify a critical volume?  The C: actually has the smallest ammount of free space, so it shouldn't be trying to do the backup there.  The drive with the most free space is just a drive used for storing shared data.

Regards,
    Alex
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 8:13 AM
  • Hi, I have the same situation with error code "2155348089". What does this code mean?
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Hello Xiano,
      There are two things that can be done.

1. Create the Registry Key in the path specified earlier. This will allow the backup(s) to proceed even to critical   

volumes.

2. Change the configuration to use some other volume instead of critical volume. In order to change the

configuration following steps are required:

(a)   In the file \Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Datasources\PSDataSourceConfig.xml

modify the value for FilesToProtect  Tag. Replace the %SystemDrive% with the volume where you would like the backup to happen.

<DatasourceConfig>

<WriterId>8c3d00f9-3ce9-4563-b373-19837bc2835e</WriterId>

<Version>01.00.0000.00</Version>

<VssWriterInvolved>false</VssWriterInvolved>

<LogicalPath>Computer</LogicalPath>

<ComponentName>SystemState</ComponentName>

<FilesToProtect>%SystemDrive%\WindowsImageBackup\*</FilesToProtect>

<Size>10240</Size>

<UseDRWithCC>true</UseDRWithCC>

(b) Reconfigure the Protection Group.

Since C: is having the least free space I would recommend to follow the second approach.

Thanks
    Bikash

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 3:43 PM
  • Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner, had a blade enclosure go funny on me.

I agree, it makes sence to go with option 2, I have follwed section a, but what did you mean by b?  Recreate the group?

Alex
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 7:40 AM
  • Yes you need to re-create the protection group in DPM. In other words delete the exiting protection group and re-create the protection group.

Thanks
    Shyama
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 11:53 AM
  • I have done as you suggest and it still is failing.  Any more suggestions?
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:53 AM
  • Just noticed on the server in question there is now an error in the event log:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Backup
    Date:          13/05/2009 08:33:13
    Event ID:      517
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:     
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      ETA.st-albans.suffolk.sch.uk
    Description:
    Backup started at '13/05/2009 07:32:43' failed with following error code '2155348237' (Enumeration of the files failed.). Please rerun backup once issue is resolved.

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Backup" Guid="{1db28f2e-8f80-4027-8c5a-a11f7f10f62d}" />
        <EventID>517</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-05-13T07:33:13.635Z" />
        <EventRecordID>12999</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="9976" ThreadID="9344" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>ETA.st-albans.suffolk.sch.uk</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="BackupTime">2009-05-13T07:32:43.886Z</Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorCode">2155348237</Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorMessage">%%2155348237</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:57 AM
  • Hello Xiano,
        Can you please send me an email so that we can send some tool that can be run to collect some detailed diagnotic information for
        us to analyze the issue better.

bikasha-nospam@microsoft.com (Remove "-nospam" before sending. This is to avoid spam)

Thanks
    Bikash
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:15 AM
  • Hello Xiano,
       I hope that based upon our communication over email, the issue is resolved now. The problem was with the "watch guard" service who was reporting its files for backup to the "System Writer" that contained an invalid path. The file spec contained "\..\" in the path that is not supported. Uninstalling the service solved the problem.

Thanks
    Bikash Agrawala [MSFT]

Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:14 PM
  • Sorry to drag this one up again, but I have a very similar problem on another server.

How did you find out which files were being reported incorrectly from the logs?

Alex
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 10:30 AM
  • Hello Bikash
    I wanted to ask you if you have any other answers on this subject. I have the same error message from a dpm server who cannot backup the system state of a win2008 x64 computer. the local wsb correctly backs up the system state on a usb hdd but the dpm cannot and i get this error. any suggestions? The computer is an additional dc and carries SQL2008 and hyper-v as its main services.
    Thank you
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 1:29 PM
  • We have 2 identical Windows Server 2008 x64 web servers. Both backed up just 
    fine with DPM 2007 SP1 for awhile. Then we started getting the exact same 
    error on both of them. 

There is an _Error.log file in the c:\windows\logs\windowsserverbackup, but 
    it is blank. 

From DPM: 
    Affected area: Computer\SystemState 
    Occurred since: 6/11/2009 3:28:14 PM 
    Description: The replica of System State Computer\SystemState on 
    sfc-web1.sfcafe.net is inconsistent with the protected data source. All 
    protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is 
    synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing 
    recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica 
    is consistent (ID 3106) 
    DPM failed to create the system state backup. If you are trying to create 
    the system state of a Windows 2008 Server operating system, verify that the 
    Windows Server Backup (WSB) is installed, and that there is enough free disk 
    space on the protected server to store the system state. (ID 30214 Details: 
    Internal error code: 0x809909FB) 
    Recommended action: Check the event log on the protected computer 
    sfc-web1.sfcafe.net and fix any errors reported. 
    Synchronize with consistency check. 
    Run a synchronization job with consistency check... 
    Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below 
    Inactivate alert 

From the Application Event Logs of one of the web servers: 
    Log Name: Application 
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Backup 
    Date: 6/11/2009 3:28:00 PM 
    Event ID: 517 
    Task Category: None 
    Level: Error 
    Keywords: 
    User: SYSTEM 
    Computer: sfc-web1.sfcafe.net 
    Description: 
    Backup started at '6/11/2009 8:27:45 PM' failed with following error code 
    '2155348237' (Enumeration of the files failed.). Please rerun backup once 
    issue is resolved. 
    Event Xml: 
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> 
    <System> 
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Backup" 
    Guid="{1db28f2e-8f80-4027-8c5a-a11f7f10f62d}" /> 
    <EventID>517</EventID> 
    <Version>0</Version> 
    <Level>2</Level> 
    <Task>0</Task> 
    <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords> 
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-06-11T20:28:00.586Z" /> 
    <EventRecordID>3142</EventRecordID> 
    <Correlation /> 
    <Execution ProcessID="3720" ThreadID="3040" /> 
    <Channel>Application</Channel> 
    <Computer>sfc-web1.sfcafe.net</Computer> 
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> 
    </System> 
    <EventData> 
    <Data Name="BackupTime">2009-06-11T20:27:45.664Z</Data> 
    <Data Name="ErrorCode">2155348237</Data> 
    <Data Name="ErrorMessage">%%2155348237</Data> 
    </EventData> 
    </Event> 

Help, please. We really need these servers to be backed up. 

Thanks, 
    Gary

Gary Evans
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Actually, we are having this issue on 3 Windows Server 2008 x64 servers.

Gary
    Gary Evans
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:53 PM
  • Hello Gary,
        The Error "'2155348237' (Enumeration of the files failed.)" is due to some 3rd party service reporting it's
        files for backup containing an invalid path. The file spec containing "\..\" in the file spec path is not
        supported. Uninstalling the related service will solve the problem. Now in order to identify what service is
        creating a problem, we need to look at the Writer Metadata.

Please download the Microsoft Windows SDK from the following location and run the following commands
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a91dc12a-fc94-4027-b67e-46bab7c5226c&displaylang=en

1. Open an elevated command window.
    2. Run the command "vshadow.exe -wm2 > out.txt"
    3. Open the out.txt and search for "\..\" pattern. The file path that includes this pattern should belong to
       a service.
    4. Uninstall the service in question and then try the backup again.

Thanks
    Bikash

Friday, June 12, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Try to manually launch the System State backup and if You will see “ERROR - The location for backup is a critical volume”  -  follow http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944530 article.

Aleksandrs

Friday, June 12, 2009 3:50 PM
  • I did as you suggested and that pattern cannot be found in the file anywhere.  May I send you the file?

Thanks,
    Gary
    Gary Evans
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:35 PM
  • I couldn't find \..\ but I did find \\ in: e:\WSUS\\UpdateServicesDbFiles

Could this be causing the issue? 
    Monday, June 15, 2009 8:27 AM
  • Hello Xiano,
       The "\\" in the path as mentioned above should not cause any problem. Can you please send me the logs as you
       had done earlier. We will find out the reason for the failure.

Thanks
    Bikash

Monday, June 15, 2009 9:15 AM
  • With the help of Bikash, we were able to identify the cause of the problem.  We were running the FileZilla FTP Server directly from a network share.  So, the File Type reported by the System Writer was invalid (because they were UNC paths).  We uninstalled the FileZilla service and re-installed it to use the local file system.  Now the servers back up just fine.

Thanks for your help Bikash!

Gary

Gary Evans
    • Proposed as answer by Gary Evans Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:06 PM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Thanks Gary for showing your patience. There was another problem of invalid file path because of the way SmarterMail was installed. This is how it got fixed by changing the registry key.

Originally:
    HKLM\system\controlset001\services\SMWebSvr

Value: ImagePath
    Value Data: \SystemRoot\"C:\Program Files\SmarterTools\SmarterMail\Web Server\SMWebSvr.exe"
    Start: boot (value does not exist, especially on Win2k3 server)

Should be:
    Value Data: "C:\Program Files\SmarterTools\SmarterMail\Web Server\SMWebSvr.exe"
    Start: 4 (hex) for "Automatic"
    http://www.smartertools.com/forums/t/20290.aspx?PageIndex=1

Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:41 AM
  • Please see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/04ddb61b-a854-43f1-a525-0faa43a4bf41 for same issue, identified issue in vss metabase, but no idea how to edit it without removing software :(
    Any suggestions welcome
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:51 PM
  • can anyone help me.
    When trying to run a backup of the system states of our various servers with dpm
    and get the following error:

Affected area:    Computer\SystemState
    Occurred since:    30-7-2009 15:40:13
        Description:    The replica of System State Computer\SystemState on srv-p-sccm-1.VVAA.LOCAL is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent (ID 3106)

DPM failed to create the system state backup. If you are trying to create the system state of a Windows 2008 Server operating system, verify that the Windows Server Backup (WSB) is installed, and that there is enough free disk space on the protected server to store the system state. (ID 30214 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FB)
    Recommended action:    Check the event log on the protected computer srv-p-sccm-1.VVAA.LOCAL and fix any errors reported.
        Synchronize with consistency check.
        Run a synchronization job with consistency check...
    Resolution:    To dismiss the alert, click below
        Inactivate alert

WSB is installed, and there is plenty of free space.  On the server in question we get the follwing message in the event log:

Backup started at '7/13/2009 12:23:17 PM' failed as Volume Shadow copy operation failed for backup volumes with following error code '2155348129'. Please rerun backup once issue is resolved.

Also, if I use DPM to backup anything else on the server it runs fine.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Confirmed that using the "vshadow.exe -wm2 > out.txt" is the best solution for determining where the problem lies. Toward the bottom of the "out.txt" log you will find more recently installed software. It looks like applications that use the windows version of the Tomcat server will cause this. In my case the log showed:

e:\viewpoint/tomcat\bin

as one of the entires toward the bottom.

I then searched this in the registry and found several instances. You will want to look in HKLM/System/<Control Sets> keys for the value. The key names will be "ImagePath" and they will contain the problematic paths. In my case I simply changed the key value "E:\ViewPoint/Tomcat\bin\tomcat5.exe //RS//SGMSWebServer" to "E:\ViewPoint\Tomcat\bin\tomcat5.exe //RS//SGMSWebServer" in three control sets and presto. System state backups are working properly.

In case you are not familiar with the "ViewPoint" software it is the firewall logging and reporting utility from sonicwall.

Hopes this helps.
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 8:33 PM
  • Hello Gary,
        The Error "'2155348237' (Enumeration of the files failed.)" is due to some 3rd party service reporting it's
        files for backup containing an invalid path. The file spec containing "\..\" in the file spec path is not
        supported. Uninstalling the related service will solve the problem. Now in order to identify what service is
        creating a problem, we need to look at the Writer Metadata.

Please download the Microsoft Windows SDK from the following location and run the following commands
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a91dc12a-fc94-4027-b67e-46bab7c5226c&displaylang=en

1. Open an elevated command window.
    2. Run the command "vshadow.exe -wm2 > out.txt"
    3. Open the out.txt and search for "\..\" pattern. The file path that includes this pattern should belong to
       a service.
    4. Uninstall the service in question and then try the backup again.

Thanks
    Bikash

Hello,

I am trying to run vshadow, but I get following error in the result file:

VSHADOW.EXE 3.0 - Volume Shadow Copy sample client.
    Copyright (C) 2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

(Option: List extended writer metadata)

ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->InitializeForBackup()" failed.
    - Returned HRESULT = 0x8000ffff
    - Error text: E_UNEXPECTED
    - Please re-run VSHADOW.EXE with the /tracing option to get more details

I did run command prompt as administrator.

Can you help please?

Thanks,
    Peteris

Monday, September 28, 2009 10:36 AM
  • We had the same problem with error code '2155348129'. In our situation the problem was located in the service hpsumserverw32 which was part of the HP Smart Update Manager. It had the following path: C:/Windows\hpsum_1255093057\hpsumserverw32.exe

Notice the C:/Windows\hpsum...

I changed it to C:\ and the backup started fine. Problem solved.
    • Proposed as answer by ToTAL3 Wednesday, January 04, 2012 10:21 AM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 9:51 AM
  • Hello Xiano,
       DPM uses inbox Windows Server Backup(WSB) to protect System State and WSB uses local disk to write the backup.
       DPM then writes the backup from the disk to the tape. DPM by default selects the disk that has the maximum free
       space available. In this case it looks like the disk selected is a critical volume. DPM sets a registry key "AllowSSBToAnyVolume"
       under "SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\wbengine\\SystemStateBackup" to allow System State Backup to happen even on
       a critical volume. Can you please check the value of this key in the registry for the server in question.

Thanks
    Bikash

Had the same problem:

While waiting for the SDK ISO to download (1.5GB), checked out the registry key as suggested above.

created the value as follows:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wbengine\SystemStateBackup]

"AllowSSBToAnyVolume"=dword:00000001

ran backup again, got this error:

The replica of System State Computer\System State on <server> is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. [..] <server> has been restarted without being properly shut down. (ID 111). Recommended action: Synchronize with consistency check.

I ran a synchronization job following the link in the summary window under recommended actions. Job completed successfully.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 12:03 PM