none
Windows Server 2012 Essentials shuts itself down after some days

Question

• Hi,

I have a "Windows Server 2012 Essentials x64 english" installation

and as we already have a SAMBA 3.6 PDC in our company,

I removed all the AD stuff and just joined the Win2012 server

as a member to the Samba Domain because the Windows Server

just needs to run a MS-SQL and Sybase database server.

That worked completely fine within the 180 days of evaluation period,

but as soon I activated a purchased license it started shutting down itself

after some days with the following entry in the eventlog

"The Root Domain Check detected a condition in your environment that is out of compliance
    with the licensing policy. This server will be automatically shut down if the issue is not corrected in 5 day(s) 4

hour(s) 30 minute(s). Please look for additional events for Root Domain Check to troubleshoot."

Of course it can't check the root domain because of the SAMBA PDC, but please,

shutting down the whole machine is unacceptable.

This causes serious damage in the company because people can't work then.

Is there a hotfix or registry change to disable this stupid behaviour?

• Edited by sven.wick Friday, August 02, 2013 10:28 AM
    Friday, August 02, 2013 10:25 AM

Answers

• Nope. Essentials MUST be a domain controller. By uninstalling AD, you actually broke Essentials, and ate running in a ILLEGAL state, breaking the contract you agreed to with the EULA.

You will either have to reinstall essentials and run it as intended to be 'legal, or purchase a more appropriate OS.

Friday, August 02, 2013 5:06 PM
  • Sorry but this is not a Microsoft problem, this is a problem you have caused by not using the right operating system for your requirements.

I also am dubious that it would run 'fine for 180 days' in this configuration, and only when licensed would it start to fail.

It is well documented (if not well known) that any SBS, or Essentials family member must be the FSMO role holder of any domain it is a member of. Therefore it should also be by definition a domain controller.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Saturday, August 03, 2013 6:49 PM

All replies

• Nope. Essentials MUST be a domain controller. By uninstalling AD, you actually broke Essentials, and ate running in a ILLEGAL state, breaking the contract you agreed to with the EULA.

You will either have to reinstall essentials and run it as intended to be 'legal, or purchase a more appropriate OS.

Friday, August 02, 2013 5:06 PM
  • Well, this is great. Running fine for 180 days of evaluation and as soon we pay money, Windows breaks. Thank you Microsoft...

• Edited by sven.wick Friday, August 02, 2013 8:10 PM
    Friday, August 02, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Sorry but this is not a Microsoft problem, this is a problem you have caused by not using the right operating system for your requirements.

I also am dubious that it would run 'fine for 180 days' in this configuration, and only when licensed would it start to fail.

It is well documented (if not well known) that any SBS, or Essentials family member must be the FSMO role holder of any domain it is a member of. Therefore it should also be by definition a domain controller.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Saturday, August 03, 2013 6:49 PM
  • > by not using the right operating system for your requirements.

That's why we let it ran the whole evaluation time to find out. And it startet to fail just a few days after licensing.

If that behaviour had occured in the evaluation period, well, then I had no problem with this.

• Edited by sven.wick Sunday, August 04, 2013 1:21 AM
    Sunday, August 04, 2013 1:20 AM
  • Just verified the uptime in our monitoring system. The maximum uptime between my own initialized reboots (mostly because of Windows Updates) was 21.3 days.

And as a reboot does not reset this (new) "6-day-deadline-to-shutdown-the-whole-machine" counter,

you can see that this behaviour did not occur within the trial period because it now shuts down every 6 days.

Sunday, August 04, 2013 12:06 PM
  • It's solved now.

I took the advice and installed a more appropriate OS.

The machine runs now Debian Wheezy with the KVM-based solution Proxmox on top of it.

MSSQL Express and Sybase run inside a Windows 7 guest (which is a normal SAMBA member)

• Edited by sven.wick Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:46 PM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:17 PM
  • Sounds like you are *probably* breaking the windows 7 licensing agreement with that setup. And, of course, you just posted that legal issue on a Microsoft forum.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Hi, i have a same problem; the server shut down every 7 days. It's not with domain but with workgroup, and i don't know  why Microsoft do a shut down with open file and open session. There is other mode to notice that there is a problem with licence but not shut down. Also Windows Essential allows installation without domain is unaccetable the shut down.
    Friday, December 06, 2013 11:59 AM
  • I have the same god damn problem, WS12 Essentials shuts down once a week. I am using it in a workgroup and don't need a domain for my usage. Is there a fix for this?
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:30 PM
  • I have the same god damn problem, WS12 Essentials shuts down once a week. I am using it in a workgroup and don't need a domain for my usage. Is there a fix for this?

Same problem here too. Windows Server 2012 with the latest SP on a DELL OptiPlex 9010. In a workgroup too, no domain. It shuts down after a few days of inaction. All power options are set to NO, no sleep, no turn off hard drive, no sleep on processors etc. Any solution from Microsoft? Thanks.
    Monday, April 07, 2014 5:19 PM
  • There is no solution. This isn't a bug or flaw. By design, essentials must be a domain controller and hold all FSMO roles. This is in the documentation, is part of the EULA you agreed to when you installed it and hit "I agree," and is how the product works. You can't run it in a workgroup.
    Monday, April 07, 2014 5:46 PM
  • Hi Cliff Galiher,

If the AD service is installed and the system is prompted as domain controller again then would this issue be resolved?
    Monday, May 05, 2014 12:41 PM
  • You have to pay up to MS to use less features such as workgroup server mode. The problem went away after I did exactly that by paying full price of standard version on top of what I had already paid for Essentials.
    Monday, May 12, 2014 9:14 PM