none
Backup failed, error code "2155348010" and "One of the backup files could not be created".

Question

• Hi All, I know there have been a few postings that has mentioned this error, but none seem to provide a solution.

Last week this error popped up without us changing anything for the backup of our Windows 2008 Server w/ Hyper V. The only thing we do is to switch between two removable 500GB drives we use for backup. The server has two logical drives (C:, D:) and the problem arrises just when the backup get to the second drive D: (both is placed on the same physical RAID 5 drive).

It started to complain the night after we switched for this weeks backup disk. We suspect is might be the removable drive that have a problem, but we can't find a way to test that. We can't find a way to run chkdsk on that backup volume, since its a special backup volume created by Windows Backup (no drive label).

Here is the full error from the eventlog:

"Backup started at '11/20/2009 1:58:23 PM' failed to backup volume(s) 'C:' with following error code 2155348010 (One of the backup files could not be created.). Please rerun backup once issue is resolved."

Note that the message say's it the C: drive it's having problem with even though it seems to have completed that and started on D:

Has anybody experienced this or have an idea how to fix it?

Thanks,
    Daniel.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 3:18 PM

Answers

• Talked with the customer offline. Windows Server Backup recommends at least 12.5% of additional space of the backup sizie on the backup target. This
    recommendation was not met on the customer machine and hence the backups were not able to reclaim space from the older backups. The following two
    things are suggested to the customer. We will revisit this recommendation if required in the new Windows Release.

1.     Manually delete the older snapshots:  Release some space occupied by older backups. Note that the Windows Server Backup Engine does purge the older backups automatically. Since we recommend a target space of (Backup Size + 12.5% of Target Volume size) the backup engine is not able to purge the older backups. You can use the following link for deleting the snapshots from the target manually.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/62488e7a-4638-430c-950c-e75ac42b0fa3

2.  Increase the size of the target: It is recommended to have target size of  i.e. at least equal to Backup size (Occupied space in all the 
                   volumes part of the backup) + 12.5% of the target space. Since your needs are hitting this limit we would recommend to have a bigger target
                    space.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

It is most likely that the disk space available in the second backup disk is less, making the backup to fail as it is not able to create the files on that. Could you please confirm that.

If that is not the case, then I'd request you to please send the logs located in the path %windir%\Logs\WindowsServerBackup (zip the entire folder) and send them across to spathak-at-microsoft-dot-com

Thanks
    Sandeep [MSFT]
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:32 AM
  • Have received the requested logs. WIll update the thread once a resolution is found.

Thanks
    Sandeep [MSFT]
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:11 AM
  • Have asked for some additional details from the customer. Will update once more information is received.
    Monday, December 07, 2009 10:09 AM
  • Communicating with the customer via email and am currently investigating the problem.

Monday, December 14, 2009 11:37 AM
  • Talked with the customer offline. Windows Server Backup recommends at least 12.5% of additional space of the backup sizie on the backup target. This
    recommendation was not met on the customer machine and hence the backups were not able to reclaim space from the older backups. The following two
    things are suggested to the customer. We will revisit this recommendation if required in the new Windows Release.

1.     Manually delete the older snapshots:  Release some space occupied by older backups. Note that the Windows Server Backup Engine does purge the older backups automatically. Since we recommend a target space of (Backup Size + 12.5% of Target Volume size) the backup engine is not able to purge the older backups. You can use the following link for deleting the snapshots from the target manually.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/62488e7a-4638-430c-950c-e75ac42b0fa3

2.  Increase the size of the target: It is recommended to have target size of  i.e. at least equal to Backup size (Occupied space in all the 
                   volumes part of the backup) + 12.5% of the target space. Since your needs are hitting this limit we would recommend to have a bigger target
                    space.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:49 AM
  • Bikash, thanks for your help.

We ended up buying two new external disks with twice the capacity, and the backups now runs normally again.

I would suggest that you improve the error messaging, so it becomes mores transparent that you are actually running out of backup disk disk space. One way could be to insert a warning in the windows backup event list, when a storage location is running critically low on space and purging older versions is no longer possible.

Thanks again.

Daniel.

Monday, December 28, 2009 8:17 AM
  • Hello Daniel,
       Thank you for your feedback. I have already logged a bug for the next windows release to improve this behaviour. Thanks you for using Windows
       Server Backup. 

Thanks
    Bikash
    Monday, December 28, 2009 8:51 AM
  • I’m having the same problem on a new SBS 2008 install. Backup worked fine for 7 days from 21/01/2010 to 18/01/2010. Failed on 19/01/2010 and no successful backup since then.

Application Event:
    Product Name: Microsoft Windows Operating System

Product Version: 6.0.6001.18000

Event ID: 519

Event Source: Microsoft-Windows-Backup

Locale ID: 5129

General: 

Backup started at '2/02/2010 11:00:01 a.m.' failed to backup volume(s) 'D:' with following error code 2155348010 (One of the backup files could not be created.). Please rerun backup once issue is resolved.

C: Drive is 136.61 GB
    D: Drive is 279.29 GB

Backup Drive is 500GB Drive.

I need to get it working no backups since 18/01/2010. Please help.

Thursday, February 04, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Same problem, trying to back up  less than 150GB of data to a 3TB raid 5 array with more than 2TB free space, on the same machine. Event viewer shows error 2155348010 and "One of the backup files could not be created. (0x8078002A)". I have heard the recommendation to reboot and then immediately try backing up, but I am not willing to accept that as an answer since a reboot is inconvenient and seemingly unnecessary particularly for scheduled backups. Any help in this matter would be appreciated.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 6:25 PM
  • I just had this error using a Backup drive previously used for a SBS 2003 backup - and the space taken by those old backups caused the volume to fill up and give this error.

I have just reformatted the drive and added it back into SBS 2008 Backup so it now has full control of the data space on the device.

I just wish that the 2008 Backup program gave a more useful and informative error message - like "Destination Device FULL"!

Friday, December 24, 2010 6:02 AM