none
thin client on windows server 2008

Question

• what do i have to install on windows server 2008 r2 so that i can use it with a thin client machine ??
    Monday, January 04, 2010 3:36 PM

All replies

• Are you having problems getting a thin client connected?  there shouldn't be anything you need from to install from a windows perspective to get thin clients to connect.
    Monday, January 04, 2010 3:41 PM
  • yvet1852,

If you are having issues, please give us more info so we can help.  What is the isue you are having, do you get any messages? What happens exactly when you try to connect? What thin client are you using? What RDC are you using?
    Hope this helps,

Kristin L. Griffin

Co-Author of the Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services Resource Kit (and a SUPER BIG fan of the Microsoft RDV Team!!!) 
    Monday, January 04, 2010 4:24 PM
  • if you are using more than 2 connections you will need to install the terminal server role with the correct licensing.
    Monday, January 04, 2010 4:49 PM
  • make sure the thin client supports RDP.
    Monday, January 04, 2010 4:49 PM
  • If you have installed a Terminal server in the past and you are looking for some way to install "Terminal Services" you will be a little stumped.  In the R2 version of 2008, the name has changed to Remote Desktop Services.   It is no longer called Terminal Services.    

You will of course need licenses and clients of some type.  

You will need a License Server somewhere in your network to deal out the licenses for Remote Desktop Services.  You can install this on the same machine or follow the better path and install it on a different machine.  

Do you know what model thin client you are going to use and what RDP version it supports?  If you are using server 2008, you should be aware that a lot of older thin clients behave strangely with server 2008. 

Monday, January 04, 2010 5:16 PM
  • I have a HP proliant  a new server with windows server 2008 R2, with several thin clients from HP and they are new ,  there is a RDC on the thin client .
    I hav remot desktop licences until 10 pc's .
    The thin client says ther is a DNS error and ther i is no IP adress.
    How can i fix this ,
    Also i have 1 thin client that is set on web client so when i turn it on it only shows a webpage .And becaus of the dns error it show only that how can i reset this .
    They are coneccted with a swith and UTP cable .

Thanks already for the answers becaus i couldn't find terminal services in 2008 so that i can look for remote desktop services .
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:11 AM
  • Sorry forget 1 question wich active directory do i have o switch on on the server , witch other roles and applications , because i don't need a lot more than thin clients turning on ,.
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:13 AM
  • The thin client says ther is a DNS error and ther i is no IP adress.
    That means the thin client is not getting a DHCP lease, just assign it a static IP address and DNS. Just like a normal computer.

The only role you need is remote desktop, as long as the server is a member server of the domain you will be fine.
    you need to make sure you setup your licenses under the TS lic portion.
    you may want to add the print server role depending on how you are handling printing.

If you tell me that model of HP Thin Client I could help you further - like T5545.

• Proposed as answer by kmoran Friday, January 22, 2010 12:55 PM
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 12:39 PM
  • Thank you for your answer only don't i have to instal the DHCP or DNS server or Hyper V only remote control ?
    And where and what can i give for ip adresse because i have the internet support from orange and normaly is is ip adress automaticilly .
    I have the licenence with the server for 5 CALS , but i also have another licence up untille 10 Cals , 5 More where do i have to install that

Its the Thin client T T5540.

Thank you already
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:11 AM
  • He also says he is not i a domain , he was in a workgroup so i have changed that

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:12 AM
  • But than i have to activate the AD DC to set it in a domain , do i have to make for eacht thin client another User in the administation or just others users ?
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:15 AM
  • The thin client still requires a local network ip address to be assigned to it, either through DHCP or Statically in the admin console. to access the admin console switch to admin mode, once in admin mode go to the control panel and you will be able to setup the NIC settings. 

i believe the the defaults are:

Password: root

for further help reference this:

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=635

also

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/site/search/r4_0/jsp/search.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&tx=t5545&cs=1&lk=1&nh=10&rf=0&st=1&ns=0&sc=2

What type of CALs are they?
    are they both for remote desktop services or is one the default 5 CALs that came with the server?
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:24 AM
  • Thanks but first i have to set the server ready to accept the thin clienst,
    do i hav to make a user for every thin client and then give them a ip adress in there useraccount ?
    he also give up that when i want to set the server in a domain i have to install ADDC ?
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:36 AM
  • sorry i didin't answer you question , 5 Cals with the server and 5 More with a licence tracking id
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:36 AM
  • Ok lets start with setting the server up:

is the server part of a domain or will it be part of a new domain?

Basically is it the only server in the domain or is there already a DC and this is addition to it?

The Thin Clients themselves are only basically a terminal, when they connect to the Terminal Server they either authenticate via AD accounts or locally created accounts.

The thin clients only need two things:
    1. an ipaddress on the local thin client
    2. RDP address of the server you are connecting to.

If you join the server to a domain there is no need to promote it to DC, the users will vaildated against the excisting DC.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:45 AM
  • when i want to st it in a domain he says that i have to instal ADDC ?

When i install remote desptop he asks me for the ssl certificate ???

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:58 AM
  • its the only server
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:59 AM
  • ok lets start from scratch then,

First off lets start with best practice for terminal server:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758409(WS.10).aspx

If you choose to continue this is how to promote a server to a DC.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755059(WS.10).aspx

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Do i have to install a Webserver II ?
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:27 AM
  • only if you are going to support TS session via the web, if you are only using thin clients then no.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:30 AM
  • I have installed  the ADCD and a domain name , what's next ,
    he had given a thing with remote desktop control for the licence ,

second stap ip adresse ??
    i have to let the thin clients work on the server

thank you already
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:57 AM
  • sorry was eating breakfast :)

now lets discuss the thin clients:

are they remote or are they on the same network as the server?
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 10:54 AM
  • I have remote licences , they have to be on the same network as the server because they are thin clients .
    Switch to server

Hope you had a nice breakfast :)
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:30 PM
  • you will need to setup DHCP on the server to serve addresses to the thin clients or set the thin clients to a static ip address that in the your internal network range:

I.E. this is only an example
    Thin client IP address:
    ip:192.168.1.100
    subnet:255.255.255.0
    gateway:192.168.1.1

setup the rdp connection to connect to the ip address of the terminal server.
    I.E.
    TS Server Address:
    ip:192.168.1.20

having thin clients on the same network and remoting in to the server counts as a remote license. I was just wondering if you had thin clients on different subnets.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 2:02 PM
  • they have to be on the same network as the server because they are thin clients -

thin clients can connect externally to the TS server: but that is a little different setup as it involves public ip addresses and mapping ports in a firewall ect.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 2:03 PM
  • I have the server on a router now , and the router gives the server a ip adres automaticilly , how can is set the ip  adres on the server ?
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 2:30 PM
  • go in to your network adaptor properties and assign it a static address - the address it has from dhcp is fine - this is just hard coding it. you always want a DC on a static address.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 2:34 PM
  • i hav my server on a ip adres fix , how do i install the thin clients ?
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 2:49 PM
  • you have to create a user account in AD
    make them a member of the remote desktop user group

go to the thin client that has the TS server RDP connection setup

under connections click on new RDP connection if you havnt done so already
    enter the IP address of the server

once you click connect just enter in the login information
    • Proposed as answer by kmoran Friday, January 22, 2010 12:54 PM
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 3:01 PM
  • Ad as in active directoru or just a user in the control panel ?
    How can i set serveral users ( for severeal thin cleints on the server )

On the thin client i have the rdp conection .

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 3:14 PM
  • you create the user accounts in active directory.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 3:20 PM
  • To test you sould be able to use the domain administrator account and login. then you know your config is working and you move on to creating user accounts.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 3:22 PM
  • thanks buton the thin client he says can not connect to remote computer
    on the server i have a error on
     DHCP Server -  DHCP service cannot find the dhcp administrators group .
    Also an error on the dns server .

I have connection with the internet on a adress fix , than in the other internet port 2 of the server i have the cable how goes to the switch en than to the thin client .

But i have just 1 ip adresse and don't know how to give a ip adres to a user ???
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 3:33 PM
  • I dont understand how you have only one ip address.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 4:28 PM
  • sorry no i have an other ip adress for user1 butbecause the user is not a administrateur the thin client can not connect to the user only when i set hiim to administator .?

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 4:36 PM
  • ok did you add the user to the remote desktop user group?

confirm that group has access to the server:

under system go to advanced settings
    click remote tab
    click select users and make sure that the remote desktop user group is listed there.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 4:48 PM
  • so what i hear you saying is that the thin client can connect to the server but only with an admin account. is that correct?
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 4:49 PM
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 4:52 PM
  • yes that was the problem i will try what you send me
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 8:14 AM
  • i have set the user 1 in active directory , i also give him acces to go to remote desktop ,
    but where do i have to give the ip adress , i think that is the problem now.
    i gave an ip adres on the user in his priorites , but i can connect to it
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 8:35 AM
  • Sorry to bother again , but my problem is that i don't know how to give a IP ADRESS to a USER ./ Workstation

And i have an error on the DHCP and DNS SERVER

But i do have acces to internet with the server on a ip adres fixe .
    But the 2 connection to the network Local , how goed to the switch don't give me acces on the worktstation , only in a administrator acces to 2 ip adresse witch i didnot give to him .

Thursday, January 07, 2010 11:04 AM
  • you dont have to assign an ip address to a user on the server. Just assign an ip address to the thin client.

can you clarify the problem you are having?
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 4:59 PM
  • the thin clietn get a ip adres from the dhcp server , adresreleases.
    but i cant get the rmote desktop to the thin client, when i enter rdp session and i give the ip adres from the server of whatever ip adres he sais he can not connect   please help me i am in a hurry with this server

**thanks already
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 6:51 PM
  • Was the issue resolved. If so could you let me know wat steps was taken to make the thin client communicate with the Remote Desktop ?

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:44 PM
  • yes it was resolved
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:56 AM