none
WSUS Server crashed, how to fix?

Question

• Hello technet community,

Have started a new job and have been given the task of fixing our WSUS server.  Only problem is I have no access to it as it will not boot up.  Here is the error code that I have receieved

The WSUS administration console has encountered an unexpected error. This may be a transient error; try restarting the administration console. If this error persists,

Try removing the persisted preferences for the console by deleting the wsus file under %appdata%\Microsoft\MMC\.

System.NullReferenceException -- Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source
    Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn

Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ResetScopeNode()

I wish I could give more information but this has been an issue for a few months before I arrived so any help is appreciated.

Monday, February 04, 2013 6:19 PM

Answers

• What are my likely solutions for this problem? I am guessing that Lawrence was joking when he suggested format and reinstall windows.  Would I be able to just reinstall WSUS?

I wasn't joking at all... you said: Only problem is I have no access to it as it will not boot up.

If a machine will not boot up, then the only possible fix is to reinstall Windows. But now I believe you did not say what you meant.

So, the first thing to check is to see if the required services are running:

• Window Internal Database
    • World Wide Web Publishing
    • Update Services

If all services are running, then I'd say the WSUS installation is 'broke'. Given the lastest information, and since you inherited this non-working server and have no reliable background on the state of the server, I would suggest starting from scratch. Uninstall WSUS using the procedure documented in the Sticky Thread at the top of this page. Then reinstall WSUS so that you know it is installed, updated, and configured correctly and works.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 10:55 PM

All replies

• Only problem is I have no access to it as it will not boot up.
    Well, that makes fixing it easy -- format and reinstall Windows!

Here is the error code that I have receieved

The WSUS administration console has encountered an unexpected error.

I think maybe I'm not understanding something here. Why would you be attempting to connect a console session to server that will not boot up?

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 12:05 AM
  • Try deleting the WSUS application cache from the location below:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user profile>\application data\microsoft\mmc

where user profile is the currently logged in user profile.

Kind Regards

Sudhir Poojari

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 7:14 AM
  • Okay so I try to connect to WSUS through Server Manager > Roles > Windows Service Update Services > Update Services

And then I get a big error message

ERROR: Connection Error

An error occured when trying to connect to the WSUS server.  This error can happen for a number of reasons.  Check connectivity with the server.  Please contact your network administrator if the problem persists.

Click reset server node to try and reset the server again.

So I click reset server node and same issue, and I pasted the error code above.

What are my likely solutions for this problem? I am guessing that Lawrence was joking when he suggested format and reinstall windows.  Would I be able to just reinstall WSUS?

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 1:24 PM
  • What are my likely solutions for this problem? I am guessing that Lawrence was joking when he suggested format and reinstall windows.  Would I be able to just reinstall WSUS?

I wasn't joking at all... you said: Only problem is I have no access to it as it will not boot up.

If a machine will not boot up, then the only possible fix is to reinstall Windows. But now I believe you did not say what you meant.

So, the first thing to check is to see if the required services are running:

• Window Internal Database
    • World Wide Web Publishing
    • Update Services

If all services are running, then I'd say the WSUS installation is 'broke'. Given the lastest information, and since you inherited this non-working server and have no reliable background on the state of the server, I would suggest starting from scratch. Uninstall WSUS using the procedure documented in the Sticky Thread at the top of this page. Then reinstall WSUS so that you know it is installed, updated, and configured correctly and works.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 10:55 PM