none
WSUS problem - machines overwrite each other

Question

• Hi everyone!

I am running a WSUS on one of my servers. All the necessary GP settings are set and the machines are connecting to the WSUS. All the physical machines show up as expected, other than the virtual ones. If a virtual machine connects to the WSUS it overwrites the machine that connected the last time. If the next machine connects, it again overwrites the last one and so on. I have copied the .vhd file for the machines, but than ran sysprep and even used newsid, without success.

Has anyone an idea of what is happening? It seems as if the machines appear as one to the WSUS, but I do not know why.

Thanks for your help,
    Andreas
    Friday, May 09, 2008 2:41 PM

Answers

•   This happens when you created the clone vm-machine by using the original machine which already belonged to WSUS.

WSUS uses  a "SUSclientID" as machine identification. This is stored in the registry below:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate]
       "SusClientId"="5d3cd6ad-5451-4cee-86fb-ccd02eb0404f" 

So, the only thing you have to do is to change this ID to avoid the trouble(?). You can use "GUIDgen.exe" for generating another SusClientID for a clone.

Good luck.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:20 AM

All replies

•   This happens when you created the clone vm-machine by using the original machine which already belonged to WSUS.

WSUS uses  a "SUSclientID" as machine identification. This is stored in the registry below:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate]
       "SusClientId"="5d3cd6ad-5451-4cee-86fb-ccd02eb0404f" 

So, the only thing you have to do is to change this ID to avoid the trouble(?). You can use "GUIDgen.exe" for generating another SusClientID for a clone.

Good luck.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:20 AM
  • I would like to add, please be sure to restart automatic updates service and run wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow after using this method. 
    • Proposed as answer by abcKevin Friday, January 31, 2014 2:28 PM
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 1:22 PM