none
Hyper-V host disable time sync

Question

• Hi,

How I can disable time sync for guest VM with host when I rebote VM? I read this article, but I didn't find how to stop sync after reboting. Also this solution proposed by Vincet Hu is inappropriate becouse I need time which was before restart.

Thank in advance!

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 2:55 PM

Answers

• From your first reference, Ben is pretty clear that you cannot disable time synch when you boot.  It is a requirement.

"Question #2 – Is there any way that I can stop Hyper-V from putting the wrong time in the RTC at boot?

In short; no.  We need to put something in there – and that is the best thing that we have to work with."

There is no time before the restart because a virtual machine does not have a real time clock that continues to run when the VM is turned off.  As Ben says, a physical computer has a battery to keep a clock running while it is turned off.  A VM has no equivalent.

What are you trying to do?  Maybe if we knew that we could offer some suggestions.

tim

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 4:49 PM

All replies

• I think you are talking about partially disable Hyper-V Time sync. This post may help:

How to partially disable Hyper-V time synsync - ChicagoTech.net

Q: We have one Windows 2008 R2 DC running on Hyper-v. Someone told us that
      we should partially disable the Hyper-V time synchnoization ...

chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16191

Bob Lin, MVP, MCSE & CNE Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on

http://www.ChicagoTech.net

How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

http://www.howtonetworking.com

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 3:59 PM
  • From your first reference, Ben is pretty clear that you cannot disable time synch when you boot.  It is a requirement.

"Question #2 – Is there any way that I can stop Hyper-V from putting the wrong time in the RTC at boot?

In short; no.  We need to put something in there – and that is the best thing that we have to work with."

There is no time before the restart because a virtual machine does not have a real time clock that continues to run when the VM is turned off.  As Ben says, a physical computer has a battery to keep a clock running while it is turned off.  A VM has no equivalent.

What are you trying to do?  Maybe if we knew that we could offer some suggestions.

tim

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 4:49 PM
  • Right click Guest OS - Settings - check under Integration service - Disable Time Synchronization. Than reboot
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 8:37 PM
  • Does not work Tyler. When I reboot the guest OS, the time is still syncronized. It does not go back to the earlier time that existed when I built the VM. I am using an old snapshot.
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:31 PM