none
Windows Media Center

Question

• How do I add/Install Windows Media Center to Server 2012?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Edward Gonsalves

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 6:39 PM

Answers

• You might need the Essentials version, from what I;ve read Server 2012 Essentials is the replacement for multiple roles, i.e. SBS replacement and WHS replacement

So you might find that is configured for that type of role better.

Although the Hypver V sounds good - but really USB disabled in Hyper V? Virtual Box supports USB, not very good for external HDD's on any VM

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Although the Hypver V sounds good - but really USB disabled in Hyper V? Virtual Box supports USB, not very good for external HDD's on any VM

What do you mean by "USB disabled".  It is not that it is disabled, it is just that it is not exposed to the VMs.  This is because one of the biggest requests from customers is to ensure that VMs can live migrate from one host to another.  Assigning specific hardware to a VM in more than 99% of the cases eliminates that freedom.

But, that does not mean that you cannot use USB devices with VMs.  Connect to the VM by using the built-in Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection.  In the settings for that, you can specify which, or all, USB devices connected to the client be shared with the VM you are connecting to.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:29 PM

All replies

• Seems like nobody knows how to do this.

Edward Gonsalves

Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:27 AM
  • I don't claim much expertise with Server 2012, only what I've been able to learn the hard way by trying it out and sometimes failing. I haven't tried Media Center on it, but I did learn that if you want to use Media Player and such within Server 2012, you need to install the "Desktop Experience." After installing it, I never did use it, so I can't help much on how to do it or whether it's a role or feature, but it is a place to start.

What is the purpose of installing Media Center?  If you have Server 2012 running, it may be less trouble if you set up a Hyper-V machine running one of the Windows desktop OS's that knows how to deal with Media Center. Hyper-V is really pretty easy once you waste few dozen hours learning it. John Savill's book on virtualization helped a lot. http://www.savilltech.com/ The Kindle version is pretty reasonably priced.

For an example of how to use it, until Comcast made it impossible to use my HDHomerun, I had a copy of Windows 7 running in a VM recording TV shows off cable and archiving them to a copy of WHS2011 also running in a VM. You don't need a very powerful machine to do this. I was only running an i3 with 8gigs of ram. About the only drawback of the setup was that the shared usb printer in WHS2011 wouldn't work any more because Hyper-V doesn't do USB.

Hope I haven't gone too far afield.

Monday, January 21, 2013 2:35 AM
  • I was informed that it can't be done because Microsoft has removed that option from Server 2012.

Edward Gonsalves

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:52 AM
  • You might need the Essentials version, from what I;ve read Server 2012 Essentials is the replacement for multiple roles, i.e. SBS replacement and WHS replacement

So you might find that is configured for that type of role better.

Although the Hypver V sounds good - but really USB disabled in Hyper V? Virtual Box supports USB, not very good for external HDD's on any VM

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Although the Hypver V sounds good - but really USB disabled in Hyper V? Virtual Box supports USB, not very good for external HDD's on any VM

What do you mean by "USB disabled".  It is not that it is disabled, it is just that it is not exposed to the VMs.  This is because one of the biggest requests from customers is to ensure that VMs can live migrate from one host to another.  Assigning specific hardware to a VM in more than 99% of the cases eliminates that freedom.

But, that does not mean that you cannot use USB devices with VMs.  Connect to the VM by using the built-in Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection.  In the settings for that, you can specify which, or all, USB devices connected to the client be shared with the VM you are connecting to.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:29 PM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards

Kevin
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:36 AM