none
Servers rebooting themselves

Question

• Hello,

I have WSUS 3.0, but this question doesnt necessarily have to do with that.

My servers, which are set to Notify only, occasionally will download and install updates by itself in the wee hours of the morning. In my group policy, configure Automatic Updates is set to 2, and No auto-restart is enabled. I've looked thru the log and nothing jumps out as to what triggered the install, just that it happened.

Any ideas what could be causing these updates to install all by themselves? I had a very large file downloading over night and the reboot wiped that all away so I am a bit frustrated right now.

Thanks in advance.

Trent

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:50 PM

Answers

• Hello,

My servers, which are set to Notify only, occasionally will download and install updates by itself in the wee hours of the morning. In my group policy, configure Automatic Updates is set to 2, and No auto-restart is enabled. I've looked thru the log and nothing jumps out as to what triggered the install, just that it happened.

Any ideas what could be causing these updates to install all by themselves? I had a very large file downloading over night and the reboot wiped that all away so I am a bit frustrated right now.

Thanks in advance.

Trent

Only thing I can think of is if you are using deadlines on updates. That should be the only way that the servers would reboot, if deadlines are set for the updates, they WILL install and reboot without having an operator present.
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:00 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Trent

Only thing I can think of is if you are using deadlines on updates. That should be the only way that the servers would reboot, if deadlines are set for the updates, they WILL install and reboot without having an operator present.
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:00 PM
  • I will check that. Thanks!
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:55 PM