none
Wingin' Migration -- Now migrate even MORE server roles to Windows Server 2008 R2!

General discussion

• The Windows Server Migration team's been cooking...no, not cranberry sauce and stuffing, but a new Windows Server Migration Utilities download package that lets you use the Windows Server Migration Tools to migrate Hyper-V and Routing and Remote Access Services (RRAS). Brand-spankin'-new beta migration guides are available for both Hyper-V and RRAS, with detailed, step-by-step guidance about how to use the Windows Server Migration Tools (after the Utilities package is installed, of course) to migrate to servers that are running Windows Server 2008 R2.

Still not feeling the love? We've got new beta migration guides for Active Directory Certificate Services (AD CS)Health Registration Authority (HRA), Network Policy Server (NPS), and Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2 (WSUS). AD CS, HRA, NPS, and WSUS don't even require the Windows Server Migration Tools; you can migrate from prep to production, just by following the guides.

We can't say it enough: your feedback rocks. The Windows Server Migration team is collecting feedback about the beta guides and the Utilities download package through the end of 2009. You can use the following methods to speak your mind about Migration Guides and the Windows Server 2008 R2 Migration Utilities Beta package. Share your migration experiences; they're critical to the quality of the Migration Guides, Windows Server 2008 R2 Migration Utilities, and the whole Migration solution for WS08 R2!

• Take the Windows Server 2008 R2 Migration Utilities Beta Survey. Nothing goes better with a cup of coffee.
    • Got an earful about how to improve Migration guides or utilities? Just reply to this post.
    • Found a bug in our migration guides? Send e-mail to smcpe at Microsoft.com. Include a description of your migration scenario (especially the operating systems that are running on your source and destination servers), and any workarounds that you used to resolve the problem. Unless the problem defied workarounds, of course; in that case, you can just send us a hard luck story and/or flame mail, we still want to hear from you.
    • Found a bug in the tools? Send e-mail to smcpe at Microsoft.com. Include a description of your migration scenario (especially the operating systems that are running on your source and destination servers), the steps to reproduce the bug, and the following logs:
      • %windir%\Logs\SmigDeploy.log
      • %windir%\Logs\ServerMigration.log
      • On Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2: %localappdata%\SvrMig\Log
      • On Windows Server 2003: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\SvrMig\Log

Visit the Windows Server Migration Portal on TechCenter to see the complete collection of Windows Server 2008 R2 Migration Guides, and a truckload of other migration resources, too.

-- Cheers from the Windows Server Migration team!

• Edited by Gaby_MSFT Monday, December 21, 2009 7:56 PM added AD CS
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 1:03 AM

All replies

• Still in Beta?  I am about to attempt a Server 2003-SP2 to Server 2008-R2 migration to a new server.  So far, it looks like This is still a series of module level backups, DCPROMO and testing the FISMO roles.  This migration doesn't include Exchange or virtual machines, so I guess it should be no worse than the Server 2000 to Server 2003 migration.  The standard AD, DNS, DHCP and print server functions.

I'll post back in a few weeks on what happened while following the check list...
    Monday, February 22, 2010 12:49 AM
  • Actually, we are no longer in Beta, as of today! We just published the full release version of an update package that allows you to use the Windows Server Migration Tools to migrate Hyper-V and RRAS. And the full release versions of the following guides are also available, as of today:

Your feedback is absolutely welcome, and essential to making the guides the best and most useful that they can be. Take a moment to rate the guide topics as you evaluate them, by using the star rating system in the upper right corner of every TechNet page. Fill the accompanying text box with your comments and suggestions for improving the guides. Reply to this forum thread to ask questions, or discuss the guides, the Migration tools, or your migration experiences.

Plenty of other Migration resources are available with the new guides; you'll find everything on the Migration Portal for Windows Server 2008 R2.

We look forward to hearing about your migrations in the coming weeks.

-- Gaby K., technical writer, Windows Server Migration Team

Thursday, February 25, 2010 2:28 AM
  • I hit a 'glitch' and will need to scour technet.  During my in place upgrade from 2008 to 2008-R2, I had to uninstall Exchange 2007.  That was OK, because I want to run Exchange 2010.  In removing the resouces, in Exchange, I glossed over to dialog that the user accounts would be deleted along witht he Exchange mail boxes.
       I didn't catch on to what was happening for one PC and ended up basically rebuilding the PC, because the local drive rights were assigned tot he doamin account.  I followed the dialog box to log off and back on, and the drive permissions were trashed.  I did an owner change onthe other computers by logging in off the network (cached credentials) and changing the owner.  then, I ran the 'Easy Transfer' to back the user profiles (lots of custom selections, too).  The one I endedup rebuilding, I wanted to re=install with 64-bit Win-7, anyway.

Now for the server...  The registry is holdingonto a setting for the OAB from Exchange 2007, and Exchange 2010 is aborting claiming a previous version of Echange has been installed onto the server. I amnot sure what I can pull fromthe server without hurting it, yet.  That is why I have the MAPS... to see what kind of trouble I can get into and out of before I walk into the client's environment and start messing with their production servers.
       I might try to get 2007 back ontot he server and see if 2010 will upgrade.  It looks like an entry or so int he registry is holding me up, though.

I have marked the URL of the Migration Portal.  Off to read the forums and technet...

Jim Lloyd - SugarloafPC
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 9:42 PM