none
required roles when adding RDP to server 2008r2 Standard

Question

• We recently installed a new preconfigured server running 2008r2. There were no roles or services configured
    either. We purchased a network accounting app to setup 5 users. The APP runs on RDP to the clients, how do I determine the exact roles required to support RDP.

I have 1 user with a problem we are trying to resolve, he gets a print error when he accesses the APP with his RDP. If I allow him to access with mine, he is fine.

Michael E Girard
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 10:35 PM

Answers

• The only required roles for a single server configuration will be the Remote Desktop Session Host and RD Licensing.

What differences are there between the two accounts? (is one an administrator where the other isnt?) What is the printer and driver that is being used? Use Process Monitor to help determine what happening when the user prints from the application.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, December 18, 2011 10:58 PM

All replies

• The only required roles for a single server configuration will be the Remote Desktop Session Host and RD Licensing.

What differences are there between the two accounts? (is one an administrator where the other isnt?) What is the printer and driver that is being used? Use Process Monitor to help determine what happening when the user prints from the application.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, December 18, 2011 10:58 PM
  • Aaron, thanks for the quick reply.

This is a strange setup, I have 1 user who's account originally was fine, we tested all of the others and they seemed o.k to run the APP. When a new test account is now created, the test account gets the print errors now too. While I admin the server daily, unfortunately, the week the APP guy came in I was bogged with product testing so I did not see how he created the accounts.

I have 4 good accounts, and was thinking it might be easier to copy a good known profile to the non working ones. The print error itself is apparently coming from crystal reports, If I allow a user who is having a problem to use a good known RDP account, they can utilize and print fine.

Also the problem accounts can access the APP with full functionality except for the print error

Michael E Girard
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 11:14 PM
  • So what are the differences between an account that works and an account that doesn't? start with group memberships and profile settings on the account properties in AD.

Monday, December 19, 2011 9:12 AM
  • There does mot seem to be anything different in properties, in server manager I see the standard

account view, everything seem normal, But the view from control panel/user accounts / user accounts / configure advanced user profile properties is quite different.

there is an "Account unknown" with no creation date.

also there is a user missing in this view, who is one of the non functioning accounts

It seems any new account does not work as well for the application.

It would seem that when I deleted the trouble guy, and recreated him, there was an issue

that traveled to the new account too.

Initially all of the accounts  worked, the APP developer was worried about RDP licensing as we were on the 120 day temp

until I installed the purchased ones. but the install did not change anything

Michael E Girard
    Monday, December 19, 2011 12:50 PM
  • account view, everything seem normal, But the view from control panel/user accounts / user accounts / configure advanced user profile properties is quite different.

there is an "Account unknown" with no creation date.

This will be user accounts local to the server. Is the server a member of an Active Directory domain?

Was your account used to install the application? Does your account (that works) have administrative access to the server (where the other don't)?

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:14 PM
  • We have not setup a domain for this server, I believe the APP installer created his account first, then my admin account.
    and yes my admin account works o.k, we have changed account type for another user to Admin status and she had no luck either.

I suspect that several users were logged in during a power issues with the UPS (which is now being corrected).

Michael E Girard
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:53 PM