none
WSS2008R2 - Moving LUNs to another server

Question

• I've been trying to move a LUN on a Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Enterprise which is attached to Server A over to Server B, without success. Here's what I did:
    • Remove the virtual disk from the iSCSI target with Server Manager. The actual VHD is not touched.
    • On Server A, using Disk Manager, I see that the iSCSI target disk is gone.
    • Now, if I add the virtual disk back to the iSCSI target, it also reappears on Server A.
    • Back on Server A, using Disk Manager, my only choice to get rid of this disk is to make it offline. I can't delete it.
    • Using Diskpart.exe, with these commands, I get
    select disk 5
    Disk 5 is now the selected disk.
    delete disk
    The disk you specified cannot be deleted.
    Please select an empty missing disk to delete.

Does anyone know how to do what I am trying to do?

Tom Mason
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:46 AM

All replies

• did you want to move the LUN from Server A to Server B?

If so, I will perform the following steps:

1. Remove the iSCSI target from iSCSI initiator on A

2. Add Serer B to iSCSI target on WSS2008R2

3. Add the iSCSI target on Server B

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:25 AM
  • Pravin,

Thanks for the advice, which won't work. I have 3 LUNs connected to Server A,   and I only want to move on of them to Server B. Removing the iSCSI target from the initiator makes all 3 LUNs disappear from Server A.

Tom

did you want to move the LUN from Server A to Server B?

Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:59 AM
  • To further muck this up, I took the iSCSI target out of Favorite Targets in the initiator, rebooted the server, and now the initiator shows the target as inactive and all 3 LUNs are no longer connected.

However, if I use the initiator to connect to the iSCSI target, all 3 LUNs immediately are available to the server. The initiator did not forget them.

It looks like there is no way to move a LUN from one client to another.

Tom
    Pravin,

Thanks for the advice, which won't work. I have 3 LUNs connected to Server A,   and I only want to move on of them to Server B. Removing the iSCSI target from the initiator makes all 3 LUNs disappear from Server A.

Tom

did you want to move the LUN from Server A to Server B?

Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:56 AM
  • Hi,

I found a thread on HITACHI website. Please check if it can help on the issue:

move lun from old server to new server

http://forums.hds.com/index.php?showtopic=654

Meanwhile if available you can also try to contact the SAN provider to see if there is any information they can provide.

Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. 
    Friday, January 21, 2011 1:04 AM
  • How are things going? If there is any concern or question please just post in reply.
    Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Monday, January 24, 2011 8:21 AM
  • No change.I still have not found a way to move a LUN from one server to another server.

Tom
    How are things going? If there is any concern or question please just post in reply.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Steps to be followed to move one iSCSI Disk from Server A to Server B should be as follows:

• Remove the virtual disk from the iSCSI target with Server Manager. The actual VHD is not touched.
    • On Server A, using Disk Manager, I see that the iSCSI target disk is gone.
    • Move the VHD / Virtual Disk to the iSCSI Target that is mapped to Server B.
    • Once this is done, if the Server B is connected to the iSCSI Target, that disk should now appear in diskmgmt on Server B.

Do let me know if it helps

Regards

Satish

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:38 AM
  • Satish,

In Step 2, here's what I see on Server A:
    ImageShack, share photos, pictures, free image hosting, free video hosting, image hosting, video hosting, photo image hosting site, video hosting site
    The iSCSI disk I want to move was named iSCSI 3. You'll notice that it is not in the Volume List. However, you can see an 18MB unallocated, offline Disk 3. This is iSCSI 3, which is a .vhd on the Windows Storage Server. I cannot delete or get rid of it. If I bring it online and make it a simple volume, it is reconnected to the Storage Server. Disk Manager absolutely will not let go of it.

Tom
    Friday, January 28, 2011 5:46 AM
  • Can you enable vds logs and do following steps,

diskpart> rescan

diskpart> sel dis 3

diskpart> clean

diskpart> cre par pri

diskpart> format quick

To enable vds logs do the following,

To enable vds log you need to do following?
    1.     Exit all VDS clients and stop the VDS service: net stop vds
    2.     Clear any previous log that might have been made previously: del %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\$vds$.log
    3.     Enable debug logging: reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vds\DebugLog /v Level /t REG_DWORD /d 255 /f
    4.     Start up VDS and reproduce the issue.
    5.     VDS should continue tracing to %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\$vds$.log

once logging is completed delete regKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vds\DebugLog . Otherwise it will eat up lot of space on disk.

Send me vds log file %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\$vds$.log at saku@microsoft.com. I will look into issue.

Regards

Satish

Friday, January 28, 2011 6:53 AM
  • Satish,

I've managed to delete the disk. Here's what I did:

1. Convert the disk on Server A to Dynamic
    2. Remove the virtual disk from the iSCSI target on the Storage Server. This results in a missing dynamic disk on Server A.
    3. On Server A, Remove missing dynamic disk. Disk 3 then disappears from Server A.
    4. The actual vhd for Disk 3 still exists on the Storage Server, so I can now attach it to Server B.
    Thanks for your time and help.

Tom
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 12:30 AM
  • We have a limping server that has all our shared files on Server A using a 2TB iSCSI/LUN. We need to move this LUN from the dying server A to the new server B and would like ALL the shared files and permissions to go with it.

Does anyone think the above instructions are valid still in 2014 on servers that are both Win 2008 R2 64bit? I have tried this once before and was forced to reformat the LUN once the new server was connected - totally a big FAIL. I do not want this to happen again.

A quick response would be extremely welcome.

Sue

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 9:43 PM