none
The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API

Question

• Hi All,

We have configured WSUS server and it was working fine with SCCM 2007. We have installed both SCCM and WSUS on same Server. But since last few days WSUS is not working and is giving the following error :

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API.

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API.

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException -- No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

Source
    System

Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP)
       at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
    ** this exception was nested inside of the following exception **

System.Net.WebException -- Unable to connect to the remote server

Source
    Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration

Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy.CreateUpdateServer(Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy.GetUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.AdminApiTools.GetUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.GetUpdateServer(PersistedServerSettings settings)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServer()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServerAndPopulateNode(Boolean connectingServerToConsole)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.OnExpandFromLoad(SyncStatus status)

I have tried to use CONNECT TO : option to get it connected back to the Proxy Server but its of no use. There is no other option available. What can I do to resolve this issue.?

Any help in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

NAveed

NA
    Tuesday, June 03, 2008 10:16 AM

Answers

• Naveed, ok, so you do have a WSUS database. Well, we will try to use it.

1. First, backup those files with ntbackup to somewhere else in the server.
    2. Now launch de WSUS setup and Remove any existing installation, if the uninstall fails let me know and I will give you the manual steps to remove everything.
    3. Restart the server
    4. Launch the WSUS setup again, please mantain all the same install dirs that you have before. With the same server name, all the same as before. Complete de installation with a Windows Internal Database to the same dir where you find the files.
    5. After installation was good and everything is ok, stop all WSUS Services, Update Services, IIS, www, Windows Internal Database, BITS, everything.
    6. Now, go to the WSUS DB dir, where the new SUSDB files are. Just rename those to .original or something and restore your old DB files here.
    7. Start all the services that you previously stopped.
    8. Go to IIS Admin Console, look for the WSUSPoll Application Pool and Recycle it.
    9. Go to Command Prompt and run C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools\wsusutil.exe reset  (That dir could be different on your installation. That is the default path.)
    10. Try to open WSUS. If there is a database error it could be because your previous DB was wrong. Try to open WSUS with the clean DB from the installation. If that goes ok and with your old DB don't that could be the problem and fill the DB again from the begining  :)

If you have any question or doubt please let me know.
    Thanks

Diego

MCITP/MCTS/MCSE/MCSA/MCP www.cabai.com.ar
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:48 AM
  •  Diego/Zhang,

I have removed the installaed WSUS and then Reinstall it again as per the procedure you had mentioned.

All went fine and the WSUS is working fine again with Configuration Manager.

WSUS forum and you guys have been of great help durinug all this time of urgent need. your prompt and timely responses made it possible for me to get my WSUS back in working condition.

Thanks for all the help and support.

Best Regards,

Naveed Anjum
    NA
    • Marked as answer by naweed Anjum Thursday, July 03, 2008 9:11 AM
    Thursday, July 03, 2008 9:11 AM

All replies

• Hi naweed, did you try to stop the services for SCCM 2007 on that machine and then restart the services for WSUS? Remember to do this with all the services, not only the Update Services, the IIS Services and Database Services as well.

It looks like it can't connect because it can't associate the port and the ipaddress to the service. Did you try to telnet the ports? The WSUS service works? I mean, the updates are still being deployed to the clients or that didn't work either?
    Is there any other error or warning on the event logs of the server? Thanks

Diego

MCITP/MCTS/MCSE/MCSA/MCP
    Wednesday, June 04, 2008 8:07 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

In the events log on SCCM server, I see the following errors:

SMS WSUS CONFIGURATION MANAGER

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: SMS Server
    Event Category: SMS_WSUS_CONFIGURATION_MANAGER
    Event ID: 6600
    Date:  6/6/2008
    Time:  9:39:31 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: PPLKHIHO09
    Description:
    On 6/6/2008 9:39:31 AM, component SMS_WSUS_CONFIGURATION_MANAGER on computer PPLKHIHO09 reported:  SMS

WSUS Configuration Manager failed to configure upstream server settings on WSUS Server "PPLKHIHO09".

Possible cause: WSUS Server version 3.0 and above is not installed or cannot be contacted.
    Solution: Verify that the WSUS Server version 3.0 or greater is installed. Verify that the IIS ports

configured in SMS are same as those configured on the WSUS IIS website.

For more information, see Help

and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

SMS WSUS CONTROL MANAGER

Event Category: SMS_WSUS_CONTROL_MANAGER
    Event ID: 7000
    Time:  9:39:38 AM
    Description:
    On 6/6/2008 9:39:38 AM, component SMS_WSUS_CONTROL_MANAGER on computer PPLKHIHO09 reported:  SMS WSUS

Configuration Manager failed to configure proxy settings on WSUS Server "PPLKHIHO09".

Possible cause: WSUS Server version 3.0 and above is not installed or cannot be contacted.
    Solution: Verify that the WSUS Server version 3.0 or greater is installed. Verify that the IIS ports

configured in SMS are same as those configured on the WSUS IIS website.You can receive failure because

proxy is set but proxy name is not specified or proxy server port is invalid.

For more information, see

Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

SMS_WSUS_CONTROL_MANAGER

Event Category: SMS_WSUS_CONTROL_MANAGER
    Event ID: 7003
    Time:  9:39:39 AM
    Description:
    On 6/6/2008 9:39:39 AM, component SMS_WSUS_CONTROL_MANAGER on computer PPLKHIHO09 reported:  SMS WSUS

Configuration Manager failed to monitor WSUS Server "PPLKHIHO09".

configured in SMS are same as those configured on the WSUS IIS website.

For more information, see Help

and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I have restarted the server twice but it has been of no use. When I check the IIS, I am unable to find the Custom website for WSUS. As far as I remember, we were using Custom website for WSUS. The port settings on SCCM software Update Point also confirm it as the ports defined there are 8530 and 8531. But there is no website present in IIS for WSUS.

How can I resolve this issue now. Should I uninstall-Install WSUS again and then configure the custom website for WSUS or we can add any custom website to IIS by some other means. I mean without uninstalling WSUS, can I add the website for WSUS to IIS.

Please suggest some action to resolve this issue.

Regards,

Naveed

NA
    Friday, June 06, 2008 4:17 AM
  • Naveed, my suggestion is that you backup the database and updates, uninstall and reinstall the WSUS Server, then restore the database and the update repository. I think that this is the most quick solution because you have a serious installation issue. If you need assistance on backup or restore please let me know.

Diego
    Friday, June 06, 2008 2:39 PM
  • Thanks Diego,

I will definately need your assistance in doing so. Please provide me with the procedures to perform the Back up and Restoration of the DB and Update Repository and steps to uninstall and install WSUS.

Note: We are running SCCM 2007, SQL Server  2005 and WSUS 3.0 on a single server.

Regards,
    Naveed
    NA
    Monday, June 09, 2008 2:53 AM
  • Naveed, are you using SQL 2005 for WSUS as well? Tell me this and I will write you the procedures.

Diego
    Monday, June 09, 2008 3:03 AM
  • No, we are not using SQL with it or at least I m not aware of that. How can I determine if it is being used with SQL or not...?

I just mentioned that we are running SQL 2005 on the same server.

Naveed
    NA
    • Edited by naweed Anjum Monday, June 09, 2008 6:40 AM change
    Monday, June 09, 2008 6:38 AM
  • I know, but you can use WSUS with SQL 2005 as for the database. Just open the SQL Administrator and look for a WSUS database. Also look at the System Services for the WSUS Internal Database. If you didn't remove anything, one of the both must be active. This is important because change the backup restore process.

Thanks
    Diego
    Monday, June 09, 2008 12:26 PM
  • I checked the SQL Administrator Database, but there is no database for WSUS. Also I checked the System Services but was unable to find any active WSUS Internal Database services.

Regards,

Naveed

NA
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:45 AM
  • Naveed, let me get this straight. You don´t have any SQL 2005 database for WSUS and you don't have any Windows Internal Database (MICROSOFT##SSEE) and you don't have any MSDE Database on your server? Because if this is the case, you don't have any WSUS Database and the best thing to do is reinstall without any backup because you don't have the database. The only thing that we can backup is the downloaded updates, but that you can download again doing a clean install.

Please be 110% sure that you don't have any of that 3 databases on your server because is very important. Thanks

Diego
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:52 PM
  • Hi Naveed,

Please check the database as Diego suggested, and the database name should be SUSDB.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:21 AM
  • Hi,

I have checked  SQL Server > Databases tab and I didn't find any database with name SUSDB. But I don't know where to look for " Windows Internal Database (MICROSOFT##SSEE) and MSDE Database " . Any help where can I find these databases and with what names ?

And If I do not find those, what should be my line of action ?

Regards,
    Naveed
    NA
    Monday, June 16, 2008 3:16 AM
  • Naveed, the Windows Internal Database is a Windows Service. If you can find this Service there is no Internal Database but ir could be an earlier database. Just look at you WSUS installation directory, typically C:\WSUS or D:\WSUS. Right there you must find a file like SUSDB or something. If you can't find this, there is no database, so if there is no database you can just run the WSUS setup. If you have the Remove option, do that first. If something wrong with the uninstallation please tell me and I will give you some steps to remove WSUS manually. If everything goes ok, the just run the setup again and Install the WSUS with a new Internal Database. After the installation it should work fine, WSUS and SCCM, both on the same machine.

Let me know any news. Thanks

Diego

Monday, June 16, 2008 3:42 AM
  • Thanks,

I just came across SUSDB.mdf and SUSDB_log.ldf in D:\WSUS\UpdateServicesDbFiles folder while cleaning up my drive. which means I do have a Database for WSUS. I have backerd up the whole folder. Whats next ?
    NA
    Monday, June 16, 2008 4:50 AM
  • Naveed, ok, so you do have a WSUS database. Well, we will try to use it.

1. First, backup those files with ntbackup to somewhere else in the server.
    2. Now launch de WSUS setup and Remove any existing installation, if the uninstall fails let me know and I will give you the manual steps to remove everything.
    3. Restart the server
    4. Launch the WSUS setup again, please mantain all the same install dirs that you have before. With the same server name, all the same as before. Complete de installation with a Windows Internal Database to the same dir where you find the files.
    5. After installation was good and everything is ok, stop all WSUS Services, Update Services, IIS, www, Windows Internal Database, BITS, everything.
    6. Now, go to the WSUS DB dir, where the new SUSDB files are. Just rename those to .original or something and restore your old DB files here.
    7. Start all the services that you previously stopped.
    8. Go to IIS Admin Console, look for the WSUSPoll Application Pool and Recycle it.
    9. Go to Command Prompt and run C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools\wsusutil.exe reset  (That dir could be different on your installation. That is the default path.)
    10. Try to open WSUS. If there is a database error it could be because your previous DB was wrong. Try to open WSUS with the clean DB from the installation. If that goes ok and with your old DB don't that could be the problem and fill the DB again from the begining  :)

If you have any question or doubt please let me know.
    Thanks

Diego

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:48 AM
  • Thanks Diego,

I will try this whenenr I can get down time for my server and will update you about the outcome.

Many Thanks,

NAveed
    NA
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:58 AM
  • Hi NAveed,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:39 AM
  •  Diego/Zhang,

I have removed the installaed WSUS and then Reinstall it again as per the procedure you had mentioned.

All went fine and the WSUS is working fine again with Configuration Manager.

WSUS forum and you guys have been of great help durinug all this time of urgent need. your prompt and timely responses made it possible for me to get my WSUS back in working condition.

Thanks for all the help and support.

Best Regards,

Naveed Anjum
    NA
    • Marked as answer by naweed Anjum Thursday, July 03, 2008 9:11 AM
    Thursday, July 03, 2008 9:11 AM
  • Hi NAveed,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Hi Eric/Zhang,

I have similar problem and want to uninstall the WSUS server but was not able to do that,giving error "setup not compleated".

Can anyone help.

Monday, January 24, 2011 9:50 AM