none
Email notifications with Gmail smtp

Question

• Setting up Status report email notifications for my WSUS and when I use the gmail smtp settings I found on Google help I get error message below. We are using Google Apps for Education and i tried with my GA account as well as my personal Gmail account. I am thinking that there is something other than the connection to the gmail smtp servers. Has anyone successfully used gmail smtp servers for these WSUS email notifications, experienced this usse, or have any suggestion?

error:

System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: The operation has timed out.
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.SoapExceptionProcessor.DeserializeAndThrow(SoapException soapException)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.SendTestEmail(String emailLanguage, String smtpUserName, String senderEmailAddress, String smtpHostName, Int32 smtpPort, String recipients)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.EmailNotificationConfiguration.SendTestEmail()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Dialogs.EmailNotificationSettingsDialog.backgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

Thanks, Tom

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:22 PM

Answers

• We're now in the same situation with the same error message.  I bet its because you can't tell WSUS to use SSL.
    Correct, WSUS does not support SSL or TLS -required connections. An alternative to consider -- install the Microsoft SMTP Service on the WSUS server and use that as a relay. I do believe that the MS SMTP service in Win2008 supports SSL/TLS connections

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:59 PM

All replies

• We're now in the same situation with the same error message.  I bet its because you can't tell WSUS to use SSL.  But only a guess since the error message doesn't really tell you much.
    Monday, February 27, 2012 2:45 PM
  • We're now in the same situation with the same error message.  I bet its because you can't tell WSUS to use SSL.
    Correct, WSUS does not support SSL or TLS -required connections. An alternative to consider -- install the Microsoft SMTP Service on the WSUS server and use that as a relay. I do believe that the MS SMTP service in Win2008 supports SSL/TLS connections

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:59 PM
  • try using aspmx.l.google.com (Google's SMTP with no SSL, you can use port 25)
    Tuesday, May 08, 2012 6:04 AM