none
Default Pinned Taskbar Shortcuts

Answers

• Thanks Lawrence for your reply.

I should have also mentioned that I tried one more article beforehand: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverGP/thread/70920b20-0754-428a-b48e-f157d26dfbf3

Now, for the Queries I raised.

Q1. Is it possible to Delete default WMPLayer shortcut from Windows 7 Taskbar?

Answer. Today, I just managed to get this done without any registry entry, hacks, etc. I simply created a GPP to Delete C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Media Player .

After this shortcut is deleted, when a new user logs in; Windows Media Player is NOT shown on the Taskbar. This also takes it out from StartMenu\All Programs which is something I also needed to do later. I hope this helps so many souls who have tried everything above to get rid of this icon.

Answering this I can now make my Q3. to be discarded.

Q2. Is it possible to modify the default Windows Explorer shortcut on Windows 7 Taskbar?

Answer. I have again tried numerous things to modify this shortcut, including the trick you mentioned above (Partially) but can not get the results I am looking for.

I am updating the Registry (taken on a reference Windows 7 computer after 'WMPlayer' is removed and 'Windows Explorer' Properties are updated to point to %Windir%\explorer.exe %homedrive%%homepath%) AND then deploying the shortcut for 'Windows Explorer' which points to %Windir%\explorer.exe %homedrive%%homepath% . Both these actions are run in the same GPO.

Simply speaking, I want to UPDATE the 'Windows Explorer' shortcut than to copy it over from another network location.

The GPP applies, but I get an error code '0x8007002' indicating the system can not find the file specified for 'Windows Explorer' preference item.

So, I tried instead to just DELETE this shortcut to see if it works

The GPP applies, but I get an error code '0x8007003' indicating the system can not find the path specified for 'Windows Explorer' preference item.

I can login as a user and browse the path %Windir%\explorer.exe %homedrive%%homepath%. I have tried runnning the preference item in both user and system context.

This stems another question I am very keen to know the answer from Microsoft:

Q2a. How is the 'Default Taskbar' for a User populated on 'First login' ? I have been able to remove Windows Media player from Default Taskbar as mentioned above, so it does indicate that the taskbar is populated with shortcuts gathered from different locations.

Ideally I would like to just UPDATE the 'Windows Explorer' shortcut from the place it is added from, to the 'Default Taskbar' on first login.

• Marked as answer by NavinB Monday, February 27, 2012 11:42 AM
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your posting.

After test we found it’s hard to update “Windows Explorer” shortcut use Group Policy Preference. And we got same error code 0x8007002 with you when update file “Windows Explorer.lnk” use group policy preference.

Finally we use user logon script to replace “Windows Explorer.lnk” successfully.

Script:

Xcopy “\\server\Windows Explorer.lnk” “%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\” /c /r /y

> How is the 'Default Taskbar' for a User populated on 'First login'

Refer to this MS articles “DesktopProcess”
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938262.aspx
    Desktop component are controlled by registry HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer 
    Refer to above posting we know taskbar is also controlled by registry under the same registry item:
    “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband”

And please notice this registry key value:

“HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband\FavouritesResolve” it’s include all the taskbar shortcut information. So I think taskbar is populated with this registry key not gathered from different locations.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Group Policy Settings for Start Menu and Taskbar
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee617162(v=WS.10).aspx
    Windows Taskbar: Frequently Asked Questions
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799239(v=WS.10).aspx

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 10, 2012 6:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your posting.

After test we found below way to achieve your requirement, although it’s a little bit complexity.

Preparation work:

Copy shortcut “Windows Explorer” from a Windows 7 computer “%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\” to your server.

Modify propertiesof the shortcut-->Shortcut tab-->Target: %windir%\explorer.exe /n /e, %homepath%

Run regedit at Windows 7 computer, export regedit item for backup reason “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband”

Unpin “Windows Media Player” at this Windows 7 computer, refresh regedit editor, re-export regedit item and name it “new.reg” “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband”

Deployment:

Use Group Policy Preference to update “Windows Explorer” for Windows 7 computers.
    Action: Update
    Source file(s): the file path your store we modified “Windows Explorer”
    Destination File: %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\Windows Explorer

Use Group Policy Preference to update “Taskband” regedit item value according to the value in “new.reg”

After apply this GPO, “Windows Media Player” icon will disappear at second time the user log on.

Configure a File Item-Group Policy Preference
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772536.aspx
    Configure a Registry Item-Group Policy Preference
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753092.aspx

Lawrence

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 2:39 AM
  • Thanks Lawrence for your reply.

I should have also mentioned that I tried one more article beforehand: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverGP/thread/70920b20-0754-428a-b48e-f157d26dfbf3

Now, for the Queries I raised.

Q1. Is it possible to Delete default WMPLayer shortcut from Windows 7 Taskbar?

Answer. Today, I just managed to get this done without any registry entry, hacks, etc. I simply created a GPP to Delete C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Media Player .

After this shortcut is deleted, when a new user logs in; Windows Media Player is NOT shown on the Taskbar. This also takes it out from StartMenu\All Programs which is something I also needed to do later. I hope this helps so many souls who have tried everything above to get rid of this icon.

Answering this I can now make my Q3. to be discarded.

Q2. Is it possible to modify the default Windows Explorer shortcut on Windows 7 Taskbar?

Answer. I have again tried numerous things to modify this shortcut, including the trick you mentioned above (Partially) but can not get the results I am looking for.

I am updating the Registry (taken on a reference Windows 7 computer after 'WMPlayer' is removed and 'Windows Explorer' Properties are updated to point to %Windir%\explorer.exe %homedrive%%homepath%) AND then deploying the shortcut for 'Windows Explorer' which points to %Windir%\explorer.exe %homedrive%%homepath% . Both these actions are run in the same GPO.

Simply speaking, I want to UPDATE the 'Windows Explorer' shortcut than to copy it over from another network location.

The GPP applies, but I get an error code '0x8007002' indicating the system can not find the file specified for 'Windows Explorer' preference item.

So, I tried instead to just DELETE this shortcut to see if it works

The GPP applies, but I get an error code '0x8007003' indicating the system can not find the path specified for 'Windows Explorer' preference item.

I can login as a user and browse the path %Windir%\explorer.exe %homedrive%%homepath%. I have tried runnning the preference item in both user and system context.

This stems another question I am very keen to know the answer from Microsoft:

Q2a. How is the 'Default Taskbar' for a User populated on 'First login' ? I have been able to remove Windows Media player from Default Taskbar as mentioned above, so it does indicate that the taskbar is populated with shortcuts gathered from different locations.

Ideally I would like to just UPDATE the 'Windows Explorer' shortcut from the place it is added from, to the 'Default Taskbar' on first login.

• Marked as answer by NavinB Monday, February 27, 2012 11:42 AM
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your posting.

After test we found it’s hard to update “Windows Explorer” shortcut use Group Policy Preference. And we got same error code 0x8007002 with you when update file “Windows Explorer.lnk” use group policy preference.

Finally we use user logon script to replace “Windows Explorer.lnk” successfully.

Script:

Xcopy “\\server\Windows Explorer.lnk” “%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\” /c /r /y

> How is the 'Default Taskbar' for a User populated on 'First login'

Refer to this MS articles “DesktopProcess”
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938262.aspx
    Desktop component are controlled by registry HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer 
    Refer to above posting we know taskbar is also controlled by registry under the same registry item:
    “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband”

And please notice this registry key value:

“HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband\FavouritesResolve” it’s include all the taskbar shortcut information. So I think taskbar is populated with this registry key not gathered from different locations.

Group Policy Settings for Start Menu and Taskbar
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee617162(v=WS.10).aspx
    Windows Taskbar: Frequently Asked Questions
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799239(v=WS.10).aspx

Lawrence

Friday, February 10, 2012 6:52 AM
  • Thanks for your help so far though I will have to partly disagree this being the solution. I would like some help as per the recent developments I have had while testing this:

To remove Windows Explorer or Literally everything from the taskbar, I deleted the entire key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband

Now for the nasty part, Deleting this key removes the items from taskbar but not the First Time the User Logs in. It works the second time around!

What I am trying to do is delete this Reg Key Structure with the option 'Apply Once and Do not Reapply'.

The Key is regenerated itself, so it should be then easy to create a shortcut in the location. But when the user logs in first time, this does NOT work. It works the second time. So I can't really try this approach.

I don't know why this is happeing. It is also happening with me on one of the other threads I have open:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/5b2d6349-1fc8-4057-b459-c680cc8f6ddb

I have removed ALL policies and customization just to make sure its not my test environment. :/

But still the GPPs seem to work the second time around and NOT the first time.

I have also tried the following:

• Replication Check / Waiting Long enough before Login
    • Removing ALL other policies and just using the test policy with one GPP defined
    • Enabling/Disabling the Option 'Run in Logged on User's context'
    • Enabling/Disabling the Option 'Apply Once and Do not Reapply'

Any thoughts on this welcome...

TO ADD: All other GPPs work the first time. RSOP data indicates All GPPs are applying correctly including the ones that are showing wrong in reality.
    • Edited by NavinB Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:22 PM Added more info..
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:20 PM
  • This seems to be another way Microsoft has reduced functionality for standardized domain environments. I am not sure why they changed the icons located in a location that could be copied to a complex registry key that could not be modified. The least they could have provided would be Group Policies to set the settings.

One way to set the default though is to just modify the Default User with the taskbar items you want and go from there.  That is what I did.

Another way is to setup the Taskbar the exact way you want it under your profile, export this path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband\ and Favorites to a registry key and then apply as a logon script using the regedit /s on first logon.

I have the Libraries on the Taskbar. It isn't Windows Explorer but it brings up their home directory so it works just great. I leave Pictures there as well but you can hide libraries you don't want viewed.

lforbes

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:57 PM
  • One way to set the default though is to just modify the Default User with the taskbar items you want and go from there.  That is what I did.

I did that too, But for the Default Users, the Folder Path C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\Taskbar does not exist. I have created the path via GPP, but not sure if that's the right approach as then adding shortcuts to this location doesn't seem to do the job (did a quick test only).

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:38 PM
  • Another way is to setup the Taskbar the exact way you want it under your profile, export this path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband\ and Favorites to a registry key and then apply as a logon script using the regedit /s on first logon.

I have the Libraries on the Taskbar. It isn't Windows Explorer but it brings up their home directory so it works just great. I leave Pictures there as well but you can hide libraries you don't want viewed.

lforbes

Been through this approach and all tested as above. I also Do NOT want to use Logon Scripts. Plain No. please.

It will good to know how you implemented the Libraries bringing up Home Directory.

Thanks for your input,

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:40 PM
  • One way to set the default though is to just modify the Default User with the taskbar items you want and go from there.  That is what I did.

I did that too, But for the Default Users, the Folder Path C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\Taskbar does not exist. I have created the path via GPP, but not sure if that's the right approach as then adding shortcuts to this location doesn't seem to do the job (did a quick test only).

We created a new Default User. It was customized that way. However, you can see if adding the registry path adds it to the new user or not. I am not completely sure with all the paths for the Taskbar as I haven't investigated it. However, you could test it.

The thing with Microsoft is that Logon Scripts are sometimes the only way if there are no Group Policies provided.  However, you COULD add the registry key in Group Policy too? Not sure the setup for that specific one.

Libraries, by default, point to the My Documents location. If you have My Documents Redirected to %HOMESHARE%%HOMEPATH% in Group Policy and have users "Home Directory" Defined in the Profile Tab of the users Active Directory User objects then Libraries should just open correctly. 

I have some information on my website about My Documents but it is a hack to put it back on the desktop which you would have to do per machine prior to imaging.  http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/Windows7/Documents.html

lforbes

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Some more things I did:

Tried to update Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Windows Explorer to default to the location I want, though it does not seem to make difference. This also points to Default Libraries feature.

One thing to note is if you drag and drop any windows explorer based item to taskbar, it will say 'Pin to Windows Explorer' as opposed to 'Pin to Taskbar'. So, the items are in turn added to the Windows Explorer's jump lists instead of taskbar directly. This is the reason it is hard to update a Windows Explorer item. I tried creating a new shortcut to this location and it did nothing different. So unless you manually right click and change this item, it is hard to modify this.

Pin to 'Windows Explorer' when dragging item to 'Taskbar'.

Pin to Windows Explorer when dragging an item to Taskbar

As a last resort, I have found a way to wipe off the Taskbar of any default items. I have this choice as I am providing User's Folder on the Desktop so I have now thought of getting rid of Windows Explorer icon from Taskbar. If you Delete the entries under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband" as a GPP item, it will wipe off the Taskbar and regenerate a new taskband Registry key. You can further use the GPP as 'Apply once and Do not reapply' to present users with a default clean Taskbar and let them pin items as they wish and they will stay.

Unless someone does have anything special to mention to update the Windows Explorer shortcut,I think I would like to leave this here.

Thanks Everyone,

Monday, February 27, 2012 11:42 AM