none
Hardware requirements to have a domain controller and WSUS virtualied

Question

• Hi!!

I will have a new server with four quores  (3,7GHz) (I can´t say you the model because I don´t buy the machines) and 8Gbs of RAM memory (1600MHz)

I want to install a server 2012 standard in the fisical machine just with Hyper-V and 2 virtuals machines running server 2012 standard too.

One will be my domain controller and the other one will be my WSUS (Yes, I know that I should install 2 domain controllers but I have´t got more licenses or more fisicals servers)

My enterprise have about 200 users with a PC for each user. The domain controller will be a file server to.

My questions:

-How much RAM memory should I configure to the WSUS?

-Do you thing that my fisical machine have enough processor and RAM to host the domain controller and file server for 200 users and the WSUS for 200 computers?

-Must I use the same product key for the 3 servers?

Thanx so much!!!

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 3:53 PM

Answers

• -How much RAM memory should I configure to the WSUS?

Since your WSUS Server will be running Microsoft SQL Server or the Windows Internal Databae (WID), 4GB would be your best estimate to get decent performance out of the database. Databases are typically more memory-hungry, than processor-hungry.

-Do you thing that my fisical machine have enough processor and RAM to host the domain controller and file server for 200 users and the WSUS for 200 computers?

I'm sure, when you setup the Domain Controller / File Server with 2GB RAM, you will have no issue with hosting the Domain Controller. When looking at the ADsizer, your Domain Controller will have sufficient resources, even when all your colleagues will log on with their user accounts at the same time.

Your Active Directory environment, however, will not adhere to the best practices, as laid out by Microsoft, since you will not be running two Domain Controllers, but you have alreadu figured that out for yourself.

Your Windows Server 2012 Standard license will allow you to license 1 physical installation of Windows Server 2012 and up to two virtual instances running Windows Server 2012.

when you purchased your Windows Server 2012 license, you got two product keys. One product key can be used to install and activate the physical installation of Windows Server 2012. The second product key, labeled as the virtual instance product key can be used to install and activate up to two virtual installations of Windows Server 2012.

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 5:06 PM
  • I will have a new server with four quores  (3,7GHz) ... and 8Gbs of RAM memory (1600MHz)

I want to install a server 2012 standard in the fisical machine just with Hyper-V and 2 virtuals machines running server 2012 standard too.

One will be my domain controller and the other one will be my WSUS (Yes, I know that I should install 2 domain controllers but I have´t got more licenses or more fisicals servers)

My enterprise have about 200 users with a PC for each user. The domain controller will be a file server to.

I would argue that if your 200-person organization can afford a quad-core 8GB RAM server, then they can probably afford the 1 or 2 extra Standard Edition licenses that should be deployed to provide a proper infrastructure for an organization of that size. For 200 users, at least two domain controllers is not an option, it's mandatory. A file server for 200 users should be a dedicated instance, not shared with anything else, although you probably could get away with putting WSUS and File Services on the same VM.

I disagree with Sander's recommendation of 4GB of RAM for your WSUS server. A 200-client WSUS server will run just fine in 2GB RAM. If you only have 8GM RAM on the host, giving half of that to the WSUS Server isn't realistic anyway, because you need that memory for the other three VMs that you should be deploying on that system. But, if you do combine WSUS and File Services, then 4GB would be an absolute minimum.

Then again, I wouldn't put any less than 16GB RAM in a quad-core Hyper-V host, and another 8GB RAM should be well within the budget of a 200-employee organization -- especially since you really do need four VMs to properly configure the infrastructure for that size organization.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence R Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Thursday, November 07, 2013 8:40 PM
  • -How many Gbs of memory are required to run just server 2012+Hiper-v?

The answer to that question, actually, depends on the amount of RAM in the box. For instance, when you have 32GB of RAM, Windows Server will consume 4 GB as a base install. However, on a box with 8GB, you can have the Windows Server parent partition (the installation that 'feels' like the physical installation) run in 1,5 GB.

When you use the Windows Server as a Server Core installation, you would save on memory usage, but you won't be able to manage the Hyper-V installation from the console. An additional Windows 8 installation would be needed to manage the box (when all VMs are off).

Here's three step-by-steps to implement a Domain Controller, a File Server and a WSUS server with Server Core installations of Windows Server 2012:

In all three scenarios you could use the Full Installation in the parent partition as the management host for the virtual machines.

-How many Gbs of memory are required to run a domain controller for 200 users?

Although ADSizer is an old tool, it provides good ballpark figures for any Active Directory environment, as long as you don't store user pictures or BitLocker recovery information in the database. Therefore, realistically, an Active Directory database for 200 users would amount to an Active Directory database of 20 MB to 40 MB. For optimal performance of a Domain Controller, the database should be cached in memory of the Domain Controller. Hence, you do not really need to take that into account and your (Server Core) Domain Controller can be run with as little as 768MB RAM. Since the Windows Server will also be a full-fledged File Server, you will want to provide a little more RAM and 2GB would be a good amount to settle upon.

It's too bad your organization doesn't understand the risk involved with implementing it this way, though. An additional Windows Server Standard Edition license would make sense, since you would be able to implement two (Server Core) Domain Controllers (each with 768MB RAM) a File Server (1,5GB RAM) and WSUS (3GB) on the box and run it with the best practices (that were designed to avoid 90% of the situations responsible for data loss) and support.

Monday, November 11, 2013 7:22 PM

All replies

• -How much RAM memory should I configure to the WSUS?

Since your WSUS Server will be running Microsoft SQL Server or the Windows Internal Databae (WID), 4GB would be your best estimate to get decent performance out of the database. Databases are typically more memory-hungry, than processor-hungry.

I'm sure, when you setup the Domain Controller / File Server with 2GB RAM, you will have no issue with hosting the Domain Controller. When looking at the ADsizer, your Domain Controller will have sufficient resources, even when all your colleagues will log on with their user accounts at the same time.

Your Active Directory environment, however, will not adhere to the best practices, as laid out by Microsoft, since you will not be running two Domain Controllers, but you have alreadu figured that out for yourself.

Your Windows Server 2012 Standard license will allow you to license 1 physical installation of Windows Server 2012 and up to two virtual instances running Windows Server 2012.

when you purchased your Windows Server 2012 license, you got two product keys. One product key can be used to install and activate the physical installation of Windows Server 2012. The second product key, labeled as the virtual instance product key can be used to install and activate up to two virtual installations of Windows Server 2012.

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 5:06 PM
  • Hi Sander:

The ADsizer tool is for windows server 2008! I can´t trust in it because the much new is an operating system much RAM memory need to work.

How much RAM memory need windows server 2012 standad to run just Hyper V?

2Gb for the domain controller/file server, 4 Gbs for the WSUS... And xGbs for the fisical machine...

Do you think that whit my 8Gbs of memory in my fisical machine will be enought?

Thanx so much!!

Thursday, November 07, 2013 8:10 PM
  • I will have a new server with four quores  (3,7GHz) ... and 8Gbs of RAM memory (1600MHz)

I would argue that if your 200-person organization can afford a quad-core 8GB RAM server, then they can probably afford the 1 or 2 extra Standard Edition licenses that should be deployed to provide a proper infrastructure for an organization of that size. For 200 users, at least two domain controllers is not an option, it's mandatory. A file server for 200 users should be a dedicated instance, not shared with anything else, although you probably could get away with putting WSUS and File Services on the same VM.

I disagree with Sander's recommendation of 4GB of RAM for your WSUS server. A 200-client WSUS server will run just fine in 2GB RAM. If you only have 8GM RAM on the host, giving half of that to the WSUS Server isn't realistic anyway, because you need that memory for the other three VMs that you should be deploying on that system. But, if you do combine WSUS and File Services, then 4GB would be an absolute minimum.

Then again, I wouldn't put any less than 16GB RAM in a quad-core Hyper-V host, and another 8GB RAM should be well within the budget of a 200-employee organization -- especially since you really do need four VMs to properly configure the infrastructure for that size organization.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence R Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Thursday, November 07, 2013 8:40 PM
  • Thank you for the answer Lawrence

I know that i should have 2 domain controllers and have the file server in another one, but my boss don´t want to spend money.

May be i could get more Memory.... but no more fisicals machines or new licenses. That´s the way my enterprise work !!

-Do you think that it could be possible to install a server 2012 standard  just with hiper-v running in the fisical machine (May be a core server) , a virtual machine just running as domain controller and another virtual machine with 4 Gb working as WSUS and file server for the 200 users in my 8Gbs fisical machine?

-How many Gbs of memory are required to run just server 2012+Hiper-v?

I know that my questions are difficult to answer, but I need some orientation because my scenario is quite weird.

Thanks again!!!

Monday, November 11, 2013 6:52 PM
  • -How many Gbs of memory are required to run just server 2012+Hiper-v?

The answer to that question, actually, depends on the amount of RAM in the box. For instance, when you have 32GB of RAM, Windows Server will consume 4 GB as a base install. However, on a box with 8GB, you can have the Windows Server parent partition (the installation that 'feels' like the physical installation) run in 1,5 GB.

When you use the Windows Server as a Server Core installation, you would save on memory usage, but you won't be able to manage the Hyper-V installation from the console. An additional Windows 8 installation would be needed to manage the box (when all VMs are off).

Here's three step-by-steps to implement a Domain Controller, a File Server and a WSUS server with Server Core installations of Windows Server 2012:

In all three scenarios you could use the Full Installation in the parent partition as the management host for the virtual machines.

Although ADSizer is an old tool, it provides good ballpark figures for any Active Directory environment, as long as you don't store user pictures or BitLocker recovery information in the database. Therefore, realistically, an Active Directory database for 200 users would amount to an Active Directory database of 20 MB to 40 MB. For optimal performance of a Domain Controller, the database should be cached in memory of the Domain Controller. Hence, you do not really need to take that into account and your (Server Core) Domain Controller can be run with as little as 768MB RAM. Since the Windows Server will also be a full-fledged File Server, you will want to provide a little more RAM and 2GB would be a good amount to settle upon.

It's too bad your organization doesn't understand the risk involved with implementing it this way, though. An additional Windows Server Standard Edition license would make sense, since you would be able to implement two (Server Core) Domain Controllers (each with 768MB RAM) a File Server (1,5GB RAM) and WSUS (3GB) on the box and run it with the best practices (that were designed to avoid 90% of the situations responsible for data loss) and support.

Monday, November 11, 2013 7:22 PM