none
after removing sccm client registry entry of specify intranet microsoft update service location

Question

• . initialy we have configured sccm software update point and pushed client to all machines .this was done for testing purpose ..now some of the machines still getting same software update point even after removing the sccm client .every time i gpupdate /force ,sync it will point old entry even no client is installed . i think these machines some where localy stored this policy and do not allow domain wsus policy to write it .even manul deletion of the  old  sccm sus point did'nt work every time  i gpupdate entry is back no gpo is applied .this is happening for some machines  only ,machines are xp and win 7 mix  set .where is this policy coming from why domain policy is overiding .gpresult show domain polciy is reached but still

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate  pointing to sccm sus point .no sccm client in machine

need help on this  .i need all these machine to be contact to wsus server not sccm software update point

regards

ankith

Sunday, March 03, 2013 3:50 PM

Answers

• This question really belongs in the Configuration Manager forum... however....

now some of the machines still getting same software update point even after removing the sccm client

Very likely. Configuration Manager imposes a Local Policy configuration on a CM Client system that points it to the Software Update Point.

i need all these machine to be contact to wsus server not sccm software update point

Two things to be done:

• Delete the Local Policy Configuration on the client systems. (Optional, not required.)
    • Create a functional Group Policy to configure the systems as clients of the standalone WSUS server. (Required.)

Since Group Policy always overrides Local Policy, the fact that these systems are still trying to talk to the SUP is a bona fide indication that they don't have a valid GPO pointing them to the standalone WSUS server.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Monday, March 04, 2013 5:29 PM

All replies

• This question really belongs in the Configuration Manager forum... however....

now some of the machines still getting same software update point even after removing the sccm client

Very likely. Configuration Manager imposes a Local Policy configuration on a CM Client system that points it to the Software Update Point.

i need all these machine to be contact to wsus server not sccm software update point

Two things to be done:

• Delete the Local Policy Configuration on the client systems. (Optional, not required.)
    • Create a functional Group Policy to configure the systems as clients of the standalone WSUS server. (Required.)

Since Group Policy always overrides Local Policy, the fact that these systems are still trying to talk to the SUP is a bona fide indication that they don't have a valid GPO pointing them to the standalone WSUS server.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Monday, March 04, 2013 5:29 PM
  • hi

lawrence 

what is functional gpo .we have a gpo already applied which is pointing to  stand alone wsus server .some of the  machines not pulling these gpo

even after removing sccm client the registry to point software update point  re-appears .what is the soultion for this .pls advice

regards

ankith

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 3:09 AM
  • hi

any help please .  appericiated

regards

ankith

Friday, March 08, 2013 5:18 PM
  • some of the machines not pulling these gpo

Exactly. You need to fix that.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft

Saturday, May 25, 2013 4:18 PM