none
IP Address & sign-in image

Question

• Hi there, I am trying to kill two birds with one stone. I just installed WinSer2008. After the setup while configuring the server I noticed a requirement (or rather strong suggestion) to have a static IP address on the server. I do have a static IP address but it is hooked up to Comcast modem which is separated from the box by a Linksys router (for the LAN). How can I tell the Server that it should take that into account?

The second question concerns that ghost picture on the screen when you first turn the machine on. It looks like a chess figure of a man. It is called "Administrator."  I want to replace it with the proper picture of my beloved cat, no kidding. I haven't discovered the way to do it yet.

Thanks for any help.

AlexB
    Friday, September 26, 2008 12:36 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Static IP address:

Based on my understanding, the operating system can only detect the network card installed on the machine. In this case, You may manually configure a static IP address which is in the same subnet as the IP address assigned to the Linksys router in the Windows Server 2008.

Account picture:

1.    Copy the proper picture to the Windows Server 2008.

2.    In Windows Server 2008, click Start, click Control Panel.

3.    In Control Panel, double-click User Accounts, click Change your picture.

4.    In the Choose a new picture for your account page, click Browse for more pictures, and select the proper picture that you copied in step1.

Monday, September 29, 2008 6:52 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, you are right. You can manually assign the address like 192.168.1.200 to the server, it is a static IP address.

Generally speaking, static IP address is the address that you manually configure for the server, automatic IP address is the address that obtain automatically from DHCP server.

Here is some related information for your reference:

Configure TCP/IP for dynamic addressing

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757052.aspx

Configure TCP/IP for static addressing

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783907.aspx

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 8:25 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Static IP address:

Based on my understanding, the operating system can only detect the network card installed on the machine. In this case, You may manually configure a static IP address which is in the same subnet as the IP address assigned to the Linksys router in the Windows Server 2008.

Account picture:

1.    Copy the proper picture to the Windows Server 2008.

2.    In Windows Server 2008, click Start, click Control Panel.

3.    In Control Panel, double-click User Accounts, click Change your picture.

4.    In the Choose a new picture for your account page, click Browse for more pictures, and select the proper picture that you copied in step1.

Monday, September 29, 2008 6:52 AM
  • Thank you Jason. I appreciate it.

Based on my understanding, the operating system can only detect the network card installed on the machine.

That is my understanding as well.

In this case, You may manually configure a static IP address which is in the same subnet as the IP address assigned to the Linksys router in the Windows Server 2008.

I don't quite understand it. I've always thought that the word Static IP address is what you purchase form your ISP for a monthly fee. In a way what you are saying makes sense, however the router IP (192.168.1.xx I think) has nothing to do with my Static IP. o if I offer the Server an address like 192.168.1.200 (provided that xx stands for some two digit number and keep that forever that will be as good a Static IP as it can get, right?

AlexB
    Monday, September 29, 2008 6:19 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, you are right. You can manually assign the address like 192.168.1.200 to the server, it is a static IP address.

Generally speaking, static IP address is the address that you manually configure for the server, automatic IP address is the address that obtain automatically from DHCP server.

Here is some related information for your reference:

Configure TCP/IP for dynamic addressing

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757052.aspx

Configure TCP/IP for static addressing

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783907.aspx

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 8:25 AM
  • Thank you Jason, it makes sense.
    AlexB
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:30 AM
  •  Jason, sorry I have to revisit the issue. Although I was able to collect all information from IpConfig to fill all necessery textBoxes for IPv4, I could only find the IPv6 itself but other components were missing. Specifically:

Default Gateway       --I had to put in the same IPv6. It seems to have taken it.
    Subset Prefix Length --I left that empty because I do not understand how it works. 
                                      It took the empty box though.

DNS Servers              --I could not find those. When I converted DNS Servers 
                                       for IPv6 into Hex number and placed them in the textBoxex
                                       it rejected them.

Do you think I can find those via WMI calls?

I tried to find what I need among WMI Code Creator classes. I know the API well, use it often but I could not find anything relevant. Any classes related IPv6 did not give any output at all.

Thanks.

AlexB
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 12:55 PM
  •  

Hi Alex,

You are welcome. J

Please confirm if your output is similar to the following:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Loopback Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-4C-4F-4F-50

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6975:aa94:b553:1c94%10(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.4.5(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.4.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.4.1

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

If so, it is normal in an IPv4 environment (IPv6 is not being used in the environment).

Actually, you do not need to configure the IPv6 manually. A highly useful aspect of IPv6 is its ability to automatically configure itself without the use of a stateful configuration protocol, such as Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6). By default, an IPv6 host can configure a link-local address for each interface.

For more information related to IPv6, please refer to the following articles:

IPv6 address autoconfiguration

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778502.aspx

IPv6

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/bb530961.aspx

IPv6 configuration methods

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/6c05c210-e5f9-4882-b760-d275a80f35091033.mspx?mfr=true

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:34 AM
  • Hi Jason,

Whoops, I actually goofed up. What I see in Console of that app is not ipConfig but this output. This output is shaped programmatically from a variety of queries in Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration method:

instance of Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration
    {
            Caption = "[00000004] Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller";
            DatabasePath = "%SystemRoot%\\System32\\drivers\\etc";
            DefaultIPGateway = {"192.168.1.1"};
            Description = "Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller";
            DHCPEnabled = TRUE;
            DHCPLeaseExpires = "20081016085544.000000-240";
            DHCPLeaseObtained = "20081015085544.000000-240";
            DHCPServer = "192.168.1.1";
            DNSDomain = "wp.comcast.net";
            DNSEnabledForWINSResolution = FALSE;
            DNSHostName = "Alex-HomeWS";
            DNSServerSearchOrder = {"68.87.77.130", "68.87.72.130"};
            DomainDNSRegistrationEnabled = FALSE;
            FullDNSRegistrationEnabled = TRUE;
            GatewayCostMetric = {0};
            Index = 4;
            InterfaceIndex = 10;
            IPAddress = {"192.168.1.100", "fe80::88a1:efb1:c0ed:476"};
            IPConnectionMetric = 1;
            IPEnabled = TRUE;
            IPFilterSecurityEnabled = FALSE;
            IPSecPermitIPProtocols = {};
            IPSecPermitTCPPorts = {};
            IPSecPermitUDPPorts = {};
            IPSubnet = {"255.255.255.0", "64"};
            MACAddress = "00:11:43:A5:26:18";
            ServiceName = "b57nd60x";
            SettingID = "{B70CACF0-B30B-4EA2-8E4F-1D1642C88101}";
            TcpipNetbiosOptions = 0;
            WINSEnableLMHostsLookup = TRUE;
            WINSScopeID = "";
    };

Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller: 192.168.1.100

The last one, I cannot immediately even identify. I forgot how I am getting it but it is not important. Here is the output for IpConfig /all:

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . :         Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . :     No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . :     No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :     wp.comcast.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :      wp.comcast.net
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . :                 Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :             00-11-43-A5-26-18
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . :             Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . :       Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :          fe80::88a1:efb1:c0ed:476%10(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :              192.168.1.100(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :              255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . :            Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:09:52 AM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . :              Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:55:44 AM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :            192.168.1.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . :              192.168.1.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :               68.87.77.130
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . :           Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  .        :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . :                 Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :              02-00-54-55-4E-01
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . :             No
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . :       Yes
       IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :               2001:0:4137:9e50:7e:2f75:b9a7:9e71(Preferred)
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :          fe80::7e:2f75:b9a7:9e71%8(Preferred)
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . :           Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . :                 Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :        wp.comcast.net
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . :                   isatap.wp.comcast.net
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :               00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . :               No
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . :         Yes

C:\Windows\system32>

You see, default Gateway is empty in IPv6 but the server did not acdcept that. I will read your lenks.

What is my next step?

Thanks.

P.S. I got a wind from one of the articles that I can use Netsh command to configure IPv6. Do you think I will get all info I need from that?

Oh, Netsh for IPv6 is huge. Could you give me a quick pointer how to set it up. I'll keep reading but it may take some time for me to figure everything out. Shall I Add DNS addresses myself?
    AlexB
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:25 PM
  • Netsh does not have some of the options listed for Netsh Show mode. Specifically 6to4 and many others are absent. They appear in Netsh Show Help command as methods in some DLLs but I could not make them work in either Vista or WinSer2008.
    AlexB
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:44 PM
  •  

Actually, you do not need to configure the IPv6 manually. A highly useful aspect of IPv6 is its ability to automatically configure itself without the use of a stateful configuration protocol, such as Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6). By default, an IPv6 host can configure a link-local address for each interface.

The configuration set-up keeps pointing out to me that the static IP address is highly desirable.

AlexB
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:56 PM
  •  

Hi,

As far as I know, those adapters (Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6 and Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7) are used for IPv6 environment. Therefore, if you are using IPv4 in your environment, the configuration should not affect the network connectivity.

If you need further explanation about the IPv6 technology, I suggest that you post it in the Networking forum. They are the best resource for it.

Platform Networking

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverPN/threads/

Thank you for your understanding.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:25 AM