none
Unable to change screen resolution after installing Windows 7

Question

• After updating to Windows 7, I am unable to change my screen resolution. I have tried the standard means via the control panel unsuccesfully.  I have checked the video driver and it states it is running fine and no updates are available. The resolution was fine with Windows XP. It is stuck at the minimum 640x480 and I need 1024x768. The display comes up as a "Standard PnP Monitor on Standard VGA Graphic Adapter". The available graphic memory is 1MB and the High Color is 16 bit. Please do me a favor with responses by being very detailed, avoiding acronyms or abbreviations. I am extremely computer illiterate and do not understand many things you might take for granted.

Sunday, March 07, 2010 7:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As John mentioned, please provide more information about your environment.

By the way, if you are running Windows 7 on a physical computer, please ensure your computer is computer is compatible with Windows 7, please also try to contact the manufacturer of the display card of your computer to get the latest driver for Windows 7, install it and then check whether it works.

If you want to perform the further research on Windows 7, it is recommend you to get further support in the corresponding community so that you can get the most qualified pool of respondents. Thanks for your understanding.

For your convenience, I have list the related link as followed.

Windows 7 IT Pro

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, March 08, 2010 7:51 AM

All replies

• You have not provided us enough specific information to accurately help you.

This forum is for physical machines running Hyper-V. If you have installed Windows 7 inside a Hyper-V virtual machine, then this is the correct forum. If you have instead installed Windows 7 directly onto a physical machine, this is not the correct forum.
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 11:55 PM
  • Hi,

As John mentioned, please provide more information about your environment.

By the way, if you are running Windows 7 on a physical computer, please ensure your computer is computer is compatible with Windows 7, please also try to contact the manufacturer of the display card of your computer to get the latest driver for Windows 7, install it and then check whether it works.

If you want to perform the further research on Windows 7, it is recommend you to get further support in the corresponding community so that you can get the most qualified pool of respondents. Thanks for your understanding.

For your convenience, I have list the related link as followed.

Windows 7 IT Pro

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, March 08, 2010 7:51 AM
  • Thank you both. I am running a physical machine, sorry, I didn't realize I was in the wrong forum. I appreciate your assistance. To be honest, I have no clue what a virtual machine is!
    Monday, March 08, 2010 9:30 PM