none
Java Group Policy Network Settings

Question

• I would like to set a GPO setting for Java network settings. In the Java control panel the network settings option is set to "use browser settings" by default. I would to set via a GPO setting for Java to be Direct Connect. The Browser settings use a Proxy. The domain controller is a Win 2008 R2. Any ideas how to make this work?
    Friday, April 29, 2011 4:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but you might look here and modify the deployment.properties file by adding the deployment.proxy.type = 0 to it (last line) and then, using GP preferences (Files) push this modified file to all the users you want. The place of this file in XP and Windows 7 is not the same, but you'll find its path if you use the Windows "Search" utility.

Windows 7 : C:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment

Windows XP : C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment

Use GPP as follows (after copying the modified file to a share on a distribution server)

(At User configuration Level) "Files" >>>> New file :

Action : Replace
    Source : \\server\share\deployment.properties
    Target : %AppDataDir%\Sun\Java\Deployment\deployment.properties or %AppDataDir%\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\deployment.properties instead of the path mentioned above (%userrname% is not a variable recognized by the GPP). You can use for each of these options the item-level targetting based on OS so you'll have one single GPO with 2 GPP.

" Never panic before reboot ! "  

• Marked as answer by eman588 Friday, April 29, 2011 6:37 PM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 5:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but you might look here and modify the deployment.properties file by adding the deployment.proxy.type = 0 to it (last line) and then, using GP preferences (Files) push this modified file to all the users you want. The place of this file in XP and Windows 7 is not the same, but you'll find its path if you use the Windows "Search" utility.

Windows 7 : C:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment

Windows XP : C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment

Use GPP as follows (after copying the modified file to a share on a distribution server)

(At User configuration Level) "Files" >>>> New file :

Action : Replace
    Source : \\server\share\deployment.properties
    Target : %AppDataDir%\Sun\Java\Deployment\deployment.properties or %AppDataDir%\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\deployment.properties instead of the path mentioned above (%userrname% is not a variable recognized by the GPP). You can use for each of these options the item-level targetting based on OS so you'll have one single GPO with 2 GPP.

• Marked as answer by eman588 Friday, April 29, 2011 6:37 PM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Hi Thanks for the reply. I did a search on Windows 7 x64 and wasn't able to find any sort of deployment.properties file. I did find a folder C:\Windows\Sun\Java\Deployment .. Does a guy just create this file?  How did you test it.

Thanks.

Friday, April 29, 2011 5:43 PM
  • Hi eman588,

For the tests I've done, I did the changes as mentioned and from Control Panel - Java I set the Network Connections to Proxy and when I restarted the Java in Control pannel, I had it modified to Direct Connect. To see the file, you should for at least ONE time start the Java from the Control Pannel.

I did the test in a Windows 2008 64bit, installed a Java 32bit and when checking at first time after the fresh installation, I had no deployment.properties file in the
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment folder. In fact, I had no Deployment folder at all. Once I clicked on the Java in Control Pannel, the file was created (and the folder as well).

I used the 3-jre-6u24-windows-i586.exe file for Java installation. To use the method I gave you, you should be sure that EVERYONE in the network has the same Java version.

Friday, April 29, 2011 6:01 PM
  • That worked very well. Thanks very much for your input and assistance.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 6:42 PM
  • Glad to know I could help !
    Friday, April 29, 2011 6:43 PM
  • A tip to those using redirected folders:

If you are redirecting the AppData folder, you may need to use the path "%USERPROFILE%\Appdata\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\deployment.properties" instead...

Cheers

Dan

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:08 AM
  • I have a solution for you, although it is a commercially related solution, but you can use PolicyPak to create a GPO that will manage nearly every setting within Java.  They have a trial mode and community mode editions to either try it out or use in a limited capacity for free.  PolicyPak integrates with Windows Group Policy and allows you to manage and lockdown application configuration settings for third party applications like Java even more effectively than Standard Group Policy locks down the various aspects of Windows.  The link to its Java Pak is here  http://www.policypak.com/products/manage-java-jre-with-group-policy.html and the link to the free editions is here  http://www.policypak.com/support-sharing/policypak-trial-community-edition-fully-licensed-modes.html.

Brad (employee of PolicyPak)

• Edited by Talk to Brad Sunday, August 04, 2013 8:28 PM typo
    Sunday, August 04, 2013 8:05 PM