none
Simple example for Dualstack Modem - Client - Server?

Question

• Hello everyone,

Can someone give me an example of how a modem - client - server would look like with a static IPv6? I'm having some difficulties with understanding the whole thing even after looking at all the documentation on the net. I have IPv4 working which is so easy and the following addresses have I given to them:

Modem: 10.0.0.1/24
    Client Win7 Ultimate N: 10.0.0.21/24
    Server WIN08R2: 10.0.0.11/24

Thank you in advance,

---

Jonathanb

Friday, February 10, 2012 3:26 PM

All replies

• Jonathan, Win7 and W2K8-R2 has IPv6 enabled by "default".

If those computers have not had their IPv6 capability changed from default (verify the box for IPv6 is stll checked on the network adapter properties), do an 'ipconfig /all |more" on each of those computers, you should see an IPv6 address that starts with "fe80::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx" on each. That is the "Link-Local" address and is self-configured - which is known as Stateless Address Autoconfiguration Configuration (SLAAC).

Depending on the "modem", it may or may not support IPv6, and if it does, it is probably does not have IPv6 enabled by default (that is not the basic industry standard yet).

Above is a sample of my laptop, at an IPv6 conference this week, where I have IPv6 addresses on my WLAN. The address in the red box is my Link-Local, and yours should be "similar".

Let us know what you have configured.

hth...Jeff

Jeff Carrell

Friday, February 10, 2012 3:42 PM
  • System doesn't maintain the paste...here it is (again).

Jeff Carrell

Friday, February 10, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Thank you Jeff Carrell for your reply.

I didn't gave you all information and probably didn't explain it well enough.

I know of ULA and that a computer can auto configure itself which is new, but I'm more interested in how you manually configure a IPv6 address on a NIC from a client or server. The static IPv6 address is a Global address, but I don't really know what I should type in there. Unfortunately my ISP (Internet Provider) had some problems and know I don't have a IPv6 connection for a short period of time, but the following were given to me by my provider and I think I need those addresses to configure my clients.

Prefix given:

2a02:22a0:0011:0005:/64

The router ID in the prefix is :

2a02:22a0:0011:0005:2921:0000:0000:0001

Does this help?

---

Jonathanb

Friday, February 10, 2012 10:36 PM
  • I am about to start traveling home, which means I'll be "out" for most of Sat.

What brand of modem/router do you have?

Bottom line, the modem/router could (should) be able to advertise your IPv6 network prefix, and your clients will (should) automatically see those adverttisements and autoconfigure themselves 2 IPv6 addresses each (regular global and temp global) [you'll see those in my pic above too].

What is key to manually be configured is the modem/router, after that there is generally no need to manually configure hosts, yes to servers and other critical devices whose addresses should remain static.

See this link for some really nice info:

http://programming4.us/desktop/2794.aspx

Knowing the modem/router will help alot.

hth...Jeff

Jeff Carrell

Saturday, February 11, 2012 5:24 AM
  • Thank you for the link. They show you how you can set a static IPv6 address, but they don't show on what Global IPv6 it's based on. On my FRITZ!Box 7390 I should get an IPv6 address automaticly from my provider and with that address I should have enough information to give my server an static IPv6 address.

The problem now is that even if I had that address from the modem I still don't know how it relates to the static address on the server. In other words, even with the address I'm still puzzled how I should config the address and that is where I need help. The whole thing is probably plain simple, but I can't seem to understand it.

On Thuesday I'll be back on work and with some luck my ISP will have fixed the IPv6 problems. I'll post back when I'm at work again. Thank you for your help again!

---

Jonathanb

Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:26 AM