none
IPMIDRV Event 1004

Question

• Has anyone seen an issue in the System Event Log on 2008 SP2 Server

"The IPMI device driver attempted to communicate with the IPMI BMC device during normal operation. However the communication failed due to a timeout. You can increase the timeouts associated with the IPMI device driver." Source IPMIDRV Event ID 1004.

We're in a blade server configuration Dell e1000 with PEM600s.  The enclosure is loaded with 16 blades. We get this error about once every second on the worst one, continously.  The other blades show the error periodically every couple of hours to couple of days. The ping response ranges from 200+/-ms to 900+/-ms.  Occasionally we get a dropped responses. The performance of the server is degraded obviously. 

The reseach on this says to increase the timeout at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\HardwareManagement\IPMI

The tree from the HardwareManagement is not present in our server.  The Microsoft Generic IPMI Compliant Device is listed in Device manager as a hidden device.  I've attempted to update the driver from here the response is we have the latest driver 2006.

The firmware and drivers are current for the IDRAQ, the blade and the enclosure.

Anyone else seen this and have a solution?

Thank you

Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:30 PM

Answers

• Hi There,

The IPMI acts as interface between BMC and the OS , which involves blade server in the communication.

From the IPMI end you could check the following

under device manager --> system devices --> microsoft generic IPMI compliance device.

and check for any error / exclamation mark.

Second : make sure that device is registerd under root\hardware 

Questions
    ======

does your BMC device getting detected successfully ?

can you re-install the driver and check

• Marked as answer by David Shen Tuesday, December 08, 2009 4:19 AM
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:19 AM

All replies

• Hi There,

The IPMI acts as interface between BMC and the OS , which involves blade server in the communication.

From the IPMI end you could check the following

under device manager --> system devices --> microsoft generic IPMI compliance device.

and check for any error / exclamation mark.

Second : make sure that device is registerd under root\hardware 

Questions
    ======

does your BMC device getting detected successfully ?

can you re-install the driver and check

• Marked as answer by David Shen Tuesday, December 08, 2009 4:19 AM
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:19 AM
  • Thank you Sainath, 

We found the cause and the solution, I had just failed to provice it here.  The interface became degraded between the blade and the enclosure.  Simply shutting down, reseating the blade and restarting reestablished the proper connection.  Everything is good.

Dave Kreitel
    Monday, November 23, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Dear Dave

Yes the registry location is wrong in that articale but The Actual Location is  (R2)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\IPMI

Regards

RaSa

RaSa
    Monday, February 28, 2011 6:22 AM
  • Dear ALL

server hangs frequently polling event IPMI so i cantacted the Vendor i got some firmware update on my server and the error eliminated and server

is functioning normally.

Regards

RaSa
    • Proposed as answer by Syed_R Tuesday, March 08, 2011 6:26 AM
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011 6:26 AM
  • What versions of firmware fixed the problem? Firmware updates to the blade or the chassis (or both)? We are seeing same symptom on DELL 1000e chassis with PowerEdge M600 blade (same hardware as you). The blade firmware was updated to latest available, same symptom. However, the chassis is at an older firmware version.
    Monday, June 03, 2013 5:50 PM
  • We updated firmware, doesn't seem to have helped. This may be a hardware problem with the Dell PowerEdge M600 iDRAC daughter card. A power off, re-seat board, then power own temporarily fixed the issue.

Log Name:      System
    Source:        IPMIDRV
    Date:          6/10/2013 1:52:21 PM
    Event ID:      1004
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      FPNODE02C.my.com
    Description:
    The IPMI device driver attempted to communicate with the IPMI BMC device during normal operation. However the communication failed due to a timeout. You can increase the timeouts associated with the IPMI device driver.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="IPMIDRV" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="32773">1004</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-06-10T18:52:21.541135200Z" />
        <EventRecordID>2892229</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>FPNODE02C.my.com</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>\Device\00000091</Data>
        <Binary>000004000100000000000000EC030580000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000E50000C0</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Monday, June 10, 2013 6:54 PM