none
Cannot migrate printers from Server 2003 (32bit) to 2008 R2 0x80070705

Question

• Hello,

I have the following situation :

1. Installed a new printerserver with 2008 R2
    2. Used the new print migration snap in to add the old printserver as well
    3. Exported the printers from the old printserver to a file
    4. Tried to import this file on the new one.
    5. Received following error in event viewer :

Printbrm.exe (the Printer Migration Wizard or the command-line tool) failed to restore print queue E181_ENGIN_9400IIR. The restore process will continue, skipping this queue. Error: 0x80070705. The printer driver is unknown.

Help please ;-)

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 7:44 AM

Answers

• You will need to either have 64bit print drivers that use the same name installed on the target machie before the restore, or install the same named 64bit print drivers in the source before backup.

Look for any Application events stating a driver failed to restore.

If there are no 64bit drivers for your printers that use the same name as those backed up, you can use a config file during the restore process to use drivers preinstalled on the target as replacements to the driver names from Server 2003.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2009/02/20/two-minute-drill-printbrm-and-the-configuration-file.aspx

the migration guide is at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd379488(WS.10).aspx

There is a section on Preparing to Migrate regarding 32bit to 64bit migrations, as long as the drivers are installed on the 2008R2 machine before the restore you will be fine.  It's a string match, all the driver names MUST match the 32bit driver name.

Preparing for cross-architecture migrations

If you are migrating from the x86-based architecture of Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 to the x64-based architecture of Windows Server 2008 R2, you should install x64-based drivers on the source server before creating the backup file. The migration process copies all installed drivers from the source server to the destination server. It recreates the printer queues on the destination server if the printer settings file contains the x64-based drivers.

Verify that each print queue on the source server has a driver installed for the operating system on the destination server before creating the printer settings file. For example, if you are migrating an x86-based source print server to an x64-based destination print server, verify that each print queue has an x64-based driver installed before you create the printer settings file. Any print queue that does not have a cross-architecture driver installed will not be migrated to the destination server.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:45 AM
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:15 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• I have the exact same issue.  Windows 2003 32bit to Windows 2008 64bit R2.  Using the method described above does not work.

Used these instructions...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722360.aspx

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:47 PM
  • You will need to either have 64bit print drivers that use the same name installed on the target machie before the restore, or install the same named 64bit print drivers in the source before backup.

Look for any Application events stating a driver failed to restore.

If there are no 64bit drivers for your printers that use the same name as those backed up, you can use a config file during the restore process to use drivers preinstalled on the target as replacements to the driver names from Server 2003.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2009/02/20/two-minute-drill-printbrm-and-the-configuration-file.aspx

the migration guide is at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd379488(WS.10).aspx

There is a section on Preparing to Migrate regarding 32bit to 64bit migrations, as long as the drivers are installed on the 2008R2 machine before the restore you will be fine.  It's a string match, all the driver names MUST match the 32bit driver name.

Preparing for cross-architecture migrations

If you are migrating from the x86-based architecture of Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 to the x64-based architecture of Windows Server 2008 R2, you should install x64-based drivers on the source server before creating the backup file. The migration process copies all installed drivers from the source server to the destination server. It recreates the printer queues on the destination server if the printer settings file contains the x64-based drivers.

Verify that each print queue on the source server has a driver installed for the operating system on the destination server before creating the printer settings file. For example, if you are migrating an x86-based source print server to an x64-based destination print server, verify that each print queue has an x64-based driver installed before you create the printer settings file. Any print queue that does not have a cross-architecture driver installed will not be migrated to the destination server.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:45 AM
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:15 AM
    Answerer
  • Ok so I'm having the same issue but I'm migrating 32 bit drivers to a 32bit version of 2008 and I get the same exact error message..  Failed to restore print queue xprinter Error 0x80070705.

Initially, the printbrm.exe tool failed to work all together... I found that the tool, was hung trying to create the backup file of the printers; it hung trying to copy the xerox print processors.  In the temp folder under printprocs.. it was creating 1000's of xerox processor files upwards of 8k which made the back up file well over 2GB.

when I delete the duplicate xerox files, the backup file is created, but trying to import that into 2008 has failed.  The import fails trying to restore every queue.. the original print server is 2003 x32, im migrating to 2008 x32...

Any help?

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 5:38 PM
  • Did the driver files get restored?
    Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    Thursday, February 03, 2011 3:09 AM
    Answerer
  • Did the driver files get restored?

It restores some drivers but not all.  In fact, it errors out trying to restore all xerox, and pcl5 HP drivers.  I am only going to assume Printbrm has issues importing PCL5x drivers.  I've even tried installing the driver on the server first, then importing the backup file... that doesn't or didn't work for me either...
    Thursday, February 03, 2011 8:32 PM
  • So it makes sense that the printer installs fail with no driver.  What is the error generated when the driver fails install?

I assume you are installing the same version and name as that installed on the 2003 machine.  What version of the Xerox driver?  Recently that have been producing package aware drivers that would install differently on 2003 (an operating system before the package driver concept).

I would expect any package aware driver would need to be install on 2008 before the restore since the backup from 2003 would not contain any packages for the drivers.

Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:41 PM
    Answerer
  • I was trying to export print queues from server A (2008 x32) and import to Server B (2008R2x64), only 1 printer (which happens to be an offline printer no longer used) comes across. The following error is returned in the logs, similar for other print queues as well.

Printbrm.exe (the Printer Migration Wizard or the command-line tool) failed to restore print queue nameA. The restore process will continue, skipping this queue. Error: 0x800706d9. There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper.

Tried exporting from the Server A directly then importing on the Server B using each servers version of printbrm.exe.

From Server B connect to Server A using printbrm.exe and export / import with the same results

Tried to install the drivers ahead of time on the destination

Then I got curious, I could not even create a local printer and share it out. I could create but when sharing it would return.

Printer settings could not be saved. Operation could not be completed (error oxooooo6d9)

I ran across another article which indicated details about checking the firewall. On the VM I created, the template we used had the Windows Firewall service disabled.  Once I enabled the firewall service and configured I could then share out that locally created printer. My next step is to test the import / export using printbrm.exe.  

• Proposed as answer by JayG--- Tuesday, March 01, 2011 9:16 PM
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 9:15 PM
  • Hi,

Modify your printer driver to universal driver ( its available for HP, Xerox, Canon) and then migrate from windows 2003 to windows 2008.

We have test it already and it was successful

• Proposed as answer by Bubeshs Thursday, May 03, 2012 12:40 PM
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 12:39 PM
  • be careful with universal drivers. they may appear to work fine and in many cases do when printing test pages, but ive had tons of issues where print jobs with larger than average file sizes(such as pdfs generated from our invoice system) take forever to spool all of the pages. i tried to configure every possible option on GPD from xerox and UPD from HP. nothing helped with the models we have. the printer specific drivers were simply faster and more reliable. the only downside is they only work for one type of machine.
    Friday, September 07, 2012 4:18 PM