none
build a new server how and what?

Question

• Hi Dear Forum members,

i have some questions that i hope, that someone could answer or give some inputs on.

The things that i'm working at a company that have approx. 40-50 employees and still growing. whey are tunning a SBS2008 for the 4-5 years now.

it seems like its time to upgrade both the hardware and the software for the server (because of some software problems that cant be fixed). my question is how should i build the server..?

Todays setup looks like this a SBS 2008 server that are running everything (AD,DHCP,Domain,SQL,Exchange,Fileserver etc.) and a secondary server that are only being used as a Terminal server.

i have few idea in my head, but dont know which some is the best.

so heres idea 1: build/buy a powerful server and install a main server that handles the AD DCHP DoMain and then 2 other servers that are running in Hyper-v 

Idea 2: buy/build a server that are running AD DHCP Domain and fileserver, and then use the current server for SQL Exchage only. or even better take the hardware from Terminal server (CPU etc) and put it in the other server to make it more powerful

the server that i have in mind is windows server 2008 r2

Friday, January 11, 2013 9:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Dear Forum members,

i have some questions that i hope, that someone could answer or give some inputs on.

The things that i'm working at a company that have approx. 40-50 employees and still growing. whey are tunning a SBS2008 for the 4-5 years now.

it seems like its time to upgrade both the hardware and the software for the server (because of some software problems that cant be fixed). my question is how should i build the server..?

Todays setup looks like this a SBS 2008 server that are running everything (AD,DHCP,Domain,SQL,Exchange,Fileserver etc.) and a secondary server that are only being used as a Terminal server.

so heres idea 1: build/buy a powerful server and install a main server that handles the AD DCHP DoMain and then 2 other servers that are running in Hyper-v 

Idea 2: buy/build a server that are running AD DHCP Domain and fileserver, and then use the current server for SQL Exchage only. or even better take the hardware from Terminal server (CPU etc) and put it in the other server to make it more powerful

The words 'build' and 'server' together make me nervous. For your production environment, it's best to buy a brand name server that has been tested with the OS that you intent to use.

Your question is not easy to answer with few details. But generally speaking, if they are ditching their old server due to a software problem and not a performance problem, it's safe to assume a similar server or higher will do the job.

You can opt for SBS 2011 to get Exchange and run all 1 one box and save some money, but you will be limited to 75 users on SBS.

The other option is to get two separate servers, one DC and one Exchange member server running the latest Server 2012.

Leave the current Termina Server as the TS, it does not sound like it has a problem, does it?

As mentioned in other comments, this requires some in deph information and consulting to really get the right thing, otherwise you may over or under spend and not get the right balance of cost versus need.

What is using the SQL? Is it the express or full blown SQL?

What is the software glitch that's making you ditch the old OS?

Before commiting to a new OS, check the software vendor for compatibility. If it does not run with Server 2008 SBS, it will likely not run on Server 2008 Std R2. What eactly are the software problems that can't be fixed?

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog

Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:56 AM
  • Well you have not said what the load is for these applications.  You have not quoted hardware either.

You really need a professional consultation onsite.  But here is a wild guess.

You don't need something powerful to run DCHP and AD....Exchange and SQL are the places that will require the most power.

1 server for AD, DHCP

1 server for SQL

1 server for exchange

1 serve for fileshares/Print server.

Don't cut your career short by putting exhange on a box with anything else and don't make it a VM.  If anything MUST work it will be AD, DHCP and email.

CS

Friday, January 11, 2013 9:56 PM

All replies

• Well you have not said what the load is for these applications.  You have not quoted hardware either.

You really need a professional consultation onsite.  But here is a wild guess.

You don't need something powerful to run DCHP and AD....Exchange and SQL are the places that will require the most power.

1 server for AD, DHCP

1 server for SQL

1 server for exchange

1 serve for fileshares/Print server.

Don't cut your career short by putting exhange on a box with anything else and don't make it a VM.  If anything MUST work it will be AD, DHCP and email.

CS

Friday, January 11, 2013 9:56 PM
  • Hi Dear Forum members,

The words 'build' and 'server' together make me nervous. For your production environment, it's best to buy a brand name server that has been tested with the OS that you intent to use.

Your question is not easy to answer with few details. But generally speaking, if they are ditching their old server due to a software problem and not a performance problem, it's safe to assume a similar server or higher will do the job.

You can opt for SBS 2011 to get Exchange and run all 1 one box and save some money, but you will be limited to 75 users on SBS.

The other option is to get two separate servers, one DC and one Exchange member server running the latest Server 2012.

Leave the current Termina Server as the TS, it does not sound like it has a problem, does it?

As mentioned in other comments, this requires some in deph information and consulting to really get the right thing, otherwise you may over or under spend and not get the right balance of cost versus need.

What is using the SQL? Is it the express or full blown SQL?

What is the software glitch that's making you ditch the old OS?

Before commiting to a new OS, check the software vendor for compatibility. If it does not run with Server 2008 SBS, it will likely not run on Server 2008 Std R2. What eactly are the software problems that can't be fixed?

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog

Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:56 AM
  • the thing i meant with the word was, that i im gonna install it from zero on maybe new hardware.

Its the full version of the SQL and it is been used for Dynamic C5

The reason for us to upgrade is that we keep getting some error/problems once a week or so. some of the problems are hardware related and some software. but mostly software. we even had various IT/Server guys to look at the problem, they tolled that server couldnt handle the amount of request that are made. Plus its beginning to be very slow, therefor another good reason to think about upgrading and dividing the services in to several servers , we use alot exchange (outlook Calendar) for planning our technicians weekly/monthly work, and when the sales team using the SQL/C5 at the same time really sucks the juice of the performance.    

the servers that we own at the moment are 2 x HP Proliant DL380G5 E5420

Monday, January 14, 2013 10:53 AM